Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complex line types

Complex line types

In Revit the  lines types you can have is really pathetic compared to AutoCADs - dashes, dots and continious lines. (And the ofcourse the Insulation that has its own button to make, and the revision cloud if that counts...). Would be very helpful to be able to make various line types with shapes in 2d - like tracks, talus and I thing that was already suggested - with text in it. Out from deperation (again) we are using detail line family with text in it to display  ELEC, HYDRO, Xs (for fence), etc... but comes a curve and there the solution stops. We are also forced to do untinkable things to a surveyors drawings in order to preserve their line types in Revit.

183 Comments
wr.marshall
Advisor

I'm sure an older versions of Revit you were able to have a letter in your line type. I  vaguely recall creating the Line type in Revit and exporting to AutoCAD when I wanted I line type with some  characters in it!!!!

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

Sorry, no.

You've never been able to include text in a Revit Linetype.

It's nothing more than dashes and spaces.

guillermo4JEUL
Enthusiast

A very Basic feature that is existing in most (if not all) BIM and CAD software, but Revit. Please Autodesk, this feature can save a lot of time to users. In some others BIM software you just need to draw with regular drawing tools (lines, arc, fills, or even text) and save it as a line type and ready to go. I think you could do this and make it easy to the Revit users.

C'mon Autodesk, show that you are really leading in software, cause there are others software temping me, and I think that probably to others users as well. I really believe Revit has nice and advance features, (I always say this) but is lacking in basics and fundamentals, I'm really thankful for the Revit 2019.2 Update with the zoom in schedule, but that is something fundamental that should had been there years ago.

So Revit 2020 and still no possibility for adding text to line patterns.

Please consider this for 2021.Text in linepatterns.png

Tags (1)
BIMAbhi
Advisor

Same like AutoCAD text base line pattern

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do a search before submitting new ideas....

There is an idea for this already and it is "Under Review". Go vote for it here: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/complex-line-types/idi-p/6330340

Actually, I did search for Line pattern, text in line patterns etc. but nothing appeared.

Therefore, if you promise to keep a good tone in the future and change the header in your idea I will vote.

TOM`
Advocate

这非常重要!

pbdbdq
Contributor

I also support this idea. It is very frustrating that linked dwg information gets converted into another line style and needs to be overridden to gain control of its appearance.

Revit should display information from third parties as it was intended (e.g. a site survey linked to an architectural model).

In any case there should be a waning message listing which line styles (and on which layers) are going to be changed during import.

- Thanks to @NateBrush for the work around suggestion above

pbdbdq
Contributor

...further to the comment above; in my case I had to use the WMFOUT and WMFIN commands noted in the forum link (repeated below) shared by @NateBrush. I then had to wrestle with scales and exploding the block created during the WMFIN process inside another block, to then add to my site background DWG.

It is likely that I made this harder than it needed to be BUT I wish Revit could just display the lines as in ACAD!

forum link: https://www.augi.com/forums/showthread.php?157360-Need-help-with-LISP-calling-TXTEXP-lsp(object-sele...

dschneck
Participant

This idea has been "under review" for years … its past time for a good solution.  Yes I'm familiar with importing a type from Autocad and making a line family but this is scale dependent and not easy to use.  We really need a solution that works (and lives) like all the other lines, not some crazy family.  Please help.  Thanks.

Don´t you mean text in line patterns?

Line Styles only refer to colors, line weights and line patterns.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/text-in-line-patterns/idi-p/8846278

I have this post, maybe this is what your thinking?

Since it is an industry standard to have linetypes that text to represent different elements (for example |CW" for cold water and "HW" for hot water), it would be good to have that functionality. You can already do it in AutoCAD, and it seems counterintuitive that you do not in Revit. And the workarounds are complicated and typically weigh down the model.

akesh
Enthusiast

I agree, creating custom linetypes with text as you described is something I have been struggling with for years, and Revit should implement that. I have created an alternative to a linetype with text for our firm which works.  However it can only be done for straight lines, not curved.

Also it would be great if there was an alternative to a NON-PRINT Linetype/Text, like with AutoCAD we can set a colour to be non-printable, Revit should have a solution to these NON-PRINT elements.

charl.maraisJGPAX
Participant

Yes please! If it can just recognize the ACAD line types and display them correctly, that will be great. That way we can actually collaborate with other disciplines in a civil infrastructure space.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A very Basic feature that is existing in most BIM and CAD software, but Revit. Please Autodesk, this feature can save a lot of time and efforts to users.

Lines types support dash/dot/letters/numbers/symbols and spaces .

m.steffannoe
Enthusiast

I would like to see Symbols in Lines too.

Don´t you mean text in line patterns?

Line Styles only refer to colors, line weights and line patterns.

Text in patterns 

Why was this issue and request brought up in 2016 and it is still not completed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Being able to create advanced line patterns within Revit. With, for example, sawtooths, texts, bends/curls/twists etc.

So you can automate more views and dont have to depend on detail items with repeating patterns.

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report