Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to Collapse or Expand all items in Project Browser

Option to Collapse or Expand all items in Project Browser

It would be nice if you could right click in the project browser and collapse or expand all listed elements.

48 Comments
deboeten583FF
Community Visitor
Expand is * and for collapse i did't find anything
bakhoumr
Participant

If only the * was a toggle between the two!

NelsonPJ
Explorer

keyboards shortcuts to do as you mentioned (not Revit inherent apparently, but from windows keyboard shortcuts)

END Display the bottom of the active window. 
HOME Display the top of the active window. 
NUM LOCK+ASTERISK on numeric keypad (*) Display all subfolders under the selected folder. 
NUM LOCK+PLUS SIGN on numeric keypad (+) Display the contents of the selected folder. 
NUM LOCK+MINUS SIGN on numeric keypad (-) Collapse the selected folder. 
LEFT ARROW Collapse current selection if it's expanded, or select parent folder. 
RIGHT ARROW Display current selection if it's collapsed, or select first subfolder. 

Courtesy of windows keyboard shortcuts

Still not evident within Revit how to do this, but these help.

NelsonPJ
Explorer

FYI . . .  . ..  you do not have to hold down the number lock key and the *-+ keys, just hit the *-+ keys on the number pad

bakhoumr
Participant

Would be great if * was toggle between expand and collapse all. The * / - only works for the item/branch selected, not the whole browser.

ToanDN
Consultant

Right now you have to click on the plus sign to open and close the tree for every single Sheet. For large projects, this wears you out more quickly than teaching a cat to do a dog trick.  Especially when a co-worker is boasting about doing it with his out-of-date AutoCAD Architecture's Project Navigator, simply with one right click on the window and select Expand or Contract.

dvisani
Contributor

It would be great if we could collapse the entire section or branch by clicking on the dotted line below the plus or minus icon that connects the same level.  You were able to do that in old versions of windows explorer, for example. That way we can easily collapse the item without having to scroll up beforehand. And/or a command that collapses or expands by level, perhaps by right-clicking anywhere on the project browser.

AnthonyWoodsford
Explorer

Idea - to add a collapse all folders button to the Project Browser, or collapse all folders process when closing the project. 

Files with hundreds of views and sheets can become a nightmare if one user expands them all (even with a good set of standards and folder sorting conventions....)

Idea by Anthony Woodsford and Kevin J Fielding.

Tags (3)
damo3
Advisor

Please do a search before posting! Its the first point in the forum guidelines. 

A simple search "collapse project browser" would have found this:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/option-to-collapse-or-expand-all-items-in-project-browser...

beacharchitect
Enthusiast

Would love to be able to collapse the project browser all at once rather than having to close each category one by one.

Tags (1)
lfried
Enthusiast

damo3,

You just linked back to this same thread.

damo3
Advisor
@lfried,
No, Autodesk have since merged the ideas and vote count. Problem is they leave any comments. Happened a few times.
BDMackey
Collaborator

Here is a tip to collapse Views and Sheet in the Project Browser,  It doesn't work for Families but hopefully this will help you out.

http://bdmackeyconsulting.com/autodesk-project-browser-research-collapse-project-browser-tip/

HeatherL01
Autodesk

I seems like the high-value workflow here is the ability to "Collapse All."  Is there any need to "Expand All?" If so, what would you use it for?

BDMackey
Collaborator

Heather,

I use expand all frequently in Revit.  mostly after an upgrade of a project template and reloading of families.  I expand all the families and as they are reloaded it will collapse the ones that have been reloaded.  Easy way to keep track of what families I have completed.  

I occasionally use this as well for views, expand that category to see all the names of the views (for QC), then I use the cheat I posted above to collapse..

Thanks for asking

lfried
Enthusiast
Expand All is already achieved by use of the asterisk on the NumPad.
bakhoumr
Participant
Yes, but collapse all is equally important

HeatherL01
Autodesk

Thanks for the replies and explanation of workflows.  It sounds like its important to have both Collapse All and Expand All, so we will continue to plan for implementing both.

bakhoumr
Participant
In an ideal world, the asterisk should be used as a toggle (on/off) between expanding and collapsing the browser. Perhaps asterisk for one level. Perhaps CTRL+* works as a toggle for entire browser tree (or some other intuitive keystroke).

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report