Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Categorize Tabbed Views

Categorize Tabbed Views

The new tabbed views feature in Revit 2019 is great! Thank you for it.

It is a bit confusing when you have multiple project files open. You might have views in different projects that are the same name. It would be great if you can categorize the tabs per project by using color coding for example.

2018-05-24_14-54-09.png

234 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or we could do it with tab sets. One could organise tabs into sets. This should offer to group all tabs by project or to create manual sets. Main UI would display only one set at a time. There would have to be a way to quickly and conveniently switch between sets.

Tab sets should also, optionally, offer features such as automatic tab sorting. Tabs could be sorted alphabetically or by frequency of access. In the later case tabs that are accessed frequently would automatically place themselves in the left to right order.

Tab sets would also cater to those who don't want sets and just want to have all the tabs available all the time. This would be the default behaviour. Essentially it is a single set with all the tabs in it with manual control over tab order.

Also, at this point I would like to point the reader one of my earlier ideas about accessing views using an autocompleting text based interface. Also watch the following video to see the full power of the "goto anything" interface:

I really think that having this sort of functionality available at our fingertips in Revit would be a tremendous boom to productivity and lessen the frustration when dealing with complex projects with hundreds of views and sheets to sift through.

cheers,

-tomek

Kitty.Ma
Autodesk

Great idea! Keep votes coming!

Great Idea!

What about and AutoCAD-like interface, only:

1. Projects listed on tabs on the top.

2. Views per project listed on tabs where AutoCAD’s model and paper spaces would be.

These days screens are typically large enough that users should not mind sacrificing screen real estate for functionality. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a pretty good idea actually. This way we get tabs for projects and
tabs for views within projects and everything is nicely lumped together.
And since we can drag the tabs out to a separate monitor this covers the
case when someone might want to see views from different projects side by
side.

I like this.

cheers,
-tomek
colliereng
Explorer

Things get confusing when multiple files are open in Revit, as the views are all grouped together. Having things split up similar to AutoCad, and being able to close entire files at once, would clean things up.

NateBrush
Advocate

Simple visual cues, like each file having different color windows/borders would help a lot.

lionel.kai
Advisor
B.Fetzer
Advocate

As it is now: If several views from different projects or families are opened, it is not possible to recognize to which file the respective views belong. All tabs are gray.

UncolouredTab.PNG

How it could be: Tabs that belong to a file get the same color. The same applies to fly-out menus and the head of the project browser

Revit2019-ColouredTab-1.pngRevit2019-ColouredTab-2.pngRevit2019-ColouredTab-3.png

This would be very helpfull and will save the number of mouse-click 😉

Kind regards, Bernhard

Tags (3)
B.Fetzer
Advocate

Today I discovered that there was already a similar proposal.

Post is here: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/categorize-tabbed-views/idc-p/8025420#M20785

@ admin: Can you lead these two contributions together? (especially the vote?)

Anonymous
Not applicable

How about one project (file) in one instance of Revit, like Archicad?

B.Fetzer
Advocate

@Anonymous:

No, different instances of Revit are not the solution!
Because we do need the possibility of copy and paste. And between instances of Revit this is not possible.

Kind regards,

Bernhard

markcalloway
Collaborator

I agree a need to improve the grouping of tabs.

This was solved by Microsoft in Internet Explorer by colour coding:

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you have multiple project files open, the tabs are getting confusing.  There should be some mechanism to show project name, color code tabs, or something else to identify which project that tab belongs to.  Obviously you can currently select the tab and see the file name on top.  But this can get very confusing.  Something needs to be added for ease of switching between projects. 

Tags (5)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the solution is Revit to open one project in one instance and have the ability to copy objects and settings between them.

andrea_kohl
Contributor

I like the color coding tabs suggestion.

@Anonymous wrote:

When you have multiple project files open, the tabs are getting confusing.  There should be some mechanism to show project name, color code tabs, or something else to identify which project that tab belongs to.  Obviously you can currently select the tab and see the file name on top.  But this can get very confusing.  Something needs to be added for ease of switching between projects. 

B.Fetzer
Advocate

@Anonymous:

Hi !

Same or simular Idea Smiley Happy

Please have a look and vote: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/colored-tabs/idi-p/8162469

Kind regards,

Bernhard

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm voting for this as this is a problem. The actual solution is unclear but it has to involve some ability to group tabs from the same project together.

ipselute
Advisor

A simple solution as in Excel: allow user to assign colors to tabs . We should be able to assign a color to any number of tabs: green for project 1, blue for project 2 ,etc. OR green color for finished work (tabs), yellow for work-in-progress (tabs) etc. Everybody should be able to create their own color scheme as desired.

TimGrissom
Enthusiast

I like this idea a lot.  I could see color coding working well and/or grouping the tabs by project and providing a thin header above the tabs indicating which project they belong to.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to this, what about an option to toggle show current project tabs only...  I still think color coding is part of the solution. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report