Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area tags on main floor plan

Area tags on main floor plan

Please allow areas to be tagged on main floor plans!

We have received a lot of feedback from clients & authorities requesting areas to be tagged on floor plans.
They like all the info on a single plan.. rather than reading together with a written schedule or a separate area plan.

Eg. apartment design-
We need areas to specify an apartment area (based on defined rules) and rooms to tag individual rooms within the apartment.

We also use multiple area schemes in a single project. We are required to schedule: apartment area, storage area, site/building area, deep draining garden area and so on.
Each requires a separate area scheme.

Currently we can only tag areas on an area plan associated with that particular scheme so we have many area plans for a single project.

The main requirement is to tag apartment areas & rooms on the main floor plan. This is the general arrangement plan which will become part of the contract documentation.
We would prefer not to use an area plan (which allows room & area tagging) for the main floor plan.

What if we could associate an area scheme to the main floor plan?

We could create a 'primary' area scheme which would be automatically associated to main floor plans (similar to the design options vis graphics settings)?

Please consider

12 Comments
HPA-TR
Participant

To be able to tag areas in floor plans. With areas plans it seems to be one way street, Area Type Plans can tag Rooms, but Areas cannot be tagged in Floor Plans.

This is especially beneficial for Residential Projects, where areas area very important.

JeremyWeber-NSPJ
Enthusiast

We need this option for tagging apartment units. It only makes sense since the category and subcategories for Areas are available in other plans.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @HPA-TR ,

Room areas can be added to the Room Tags...does that address the issue you are having?

Thank you for your Idea submission!

-Kimberly

JeremyWeber-NSPJ
Enthusiast

Hi @kimberly.fuhrman this does not address his question. I have been searching the idea board for this issue and it appears to be largely ignored.

The issue is we need the ability to tag Areas in a standard floor plan, not just an Area plan. I work in multi-family, and we use areas to identify the apartment unit but use rooms to identify rooms within the unit. However, once we move to construction documents, we end up using Area plans for documentation, which they're not designed for, and they are limited in creating certain callouts. We want to use a standard floor plan for documentation and be able to tag the are for the unit outside of an area plan.

The visibility graphics dialog box gives us the option to show areas, but it doesn't actually work. There are multiple ideas on the forum for these that go back 6 years. It's a needed feature but not being implements. If you need more information I'd be glad to get on a call with you and/or anybody from Autodesk to show the issue.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @JeremyWeber-NSPJ ,

Thank you for the additional clarification. That makes sense! Let me find out who specifically on this team I can have you talk to, and I will send you a message.

-Kimberly

JeremyWeber-NSPJ
Enthusiast

Thanks @kimberly.fuhrman I look forward to having that discussion.

-Jeremy

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@JeremyWeber-NSPJ , I have forwarded your request to our team and will follow up with you in the coming days.

-Kimberly

Ric_Weber
Advocate

@kimberly.fuhrman this is the same idea as https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/area-tags-on-main-floor-plan/idi-p/7951089 and so I think these should be combined. @HPA-TR, would you agree?

Ric_Weber
Advocate

@kimberly.fuhrman this is also basically the same as https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/combine-area-plans-with-floor-plans/idi-p/7576459 which is even older.  That one is a bit more complex in it's request, but is basically saying the same thing.  We want to be able to use and manipulate areas in a standard floor plan.  These two ideas are to be able to tag areas in the floor plan, but really the only way to be able to do that is if the area exists in the floor plan view to begin with, so basically the same thing.   

HPA-TR
Participant

Yes, @kimberly.fuhrman, I would be happy to participate on that call as well, Thank you.

JeremyWeber-NSPJ
Enthusiast

@kimberly.fuhrman in looking at the date of your comment, I had a video call with @ryan.duell on 2/7/2022 to discuss this issue and he mentioned getting this to the development team to review. I have not heard anything since then, it would be good to know if anything has moved forward from that call. Hopefully Ryan can chime in on this as well.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Thanks, @JeremyWeber-NSPJ . I'll follow up with Ryan!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report