Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow text in formulas

Allow text in formulas

Allow text parameters in formulas.
e.g Fire Rating = FireRating
(as in NBS BIM Object standard)
96 Comments
HVAC-Novice
Advisor

I don't seem to be able to upload files here. But i have a dynamo script that renames my type mark to what the type is called.

For type-mark I also created a shared parameter. Because the oob type mark parameter isn't fixed and changes per project. but i want them be the same all the time. So my above script is only needed once really. 

Obviously your tags and schedules also need to use that shared parameter. 

mmclean4U7JV
Enthusiast

@HVAC-Novice - Are you able to upload to an external source and share the link (e.g. google drive, dropbox mega etc)

Would love that script in the meantime.  

I wouldn't mind doing what you do in reverse, Type Mark to Type Name even.

crapai
Advocate

Would have been nice to have this today, only been a request for 7 years.

MVE1112
Advocate
Don't worry, its gathering support!
CEdwardsUN5MX
Enthusiast

@crapai It's been a lot longer than 7 years, this discussion is from 15 years ago: https://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?92465-text-parameter-in-IF-STATEMENTS

At the current rate of what Autodesk call 'development', I'll have retired (another 15 years away) before anything users really want and have been repeatedly asked for is implemented by Autodesk.

Nurlan-A.
Advisor

Let's celebrate the tenth anniversary of this idea 🥳

:money_with_wings::birthday_cake::heavy_multiplication_x:10🟰😂:chart_increasing:🧓

CEdwardsUN5MX
Enthusiast

How many years does an idea have to be 'gathering support' before it ends up on some youtube channel as a 'greatest ideas that never made it'?

Maybe they are waiting for another shame letter from the industry? :incoming_envelope:

Iev60047
Advocate

Periodic bump from myself, that my team would benefit from this functionality.

Bump

Would be a great feature to combine two or more text parameters in Schedules like this:

nikolamarkovictermovent_0-1703589439457.png

MVE1112
Advocate
Hey now, easy with the bumps. Let this Garner support for at least another
decade before we start bumping these kinds of implementations

If there are things about formulas that are difficult to implement, then perhaps the problem isn't the features being requested, but the underlying code base for formulas itself. Many more people are savvy enough today to understand data structures and type casting. A good chunk of people running software today are coding in Python and C#. We get that things can be difficult. It's really hard to imagine something like this feature not being implemented. This is Autodesk. It isn't a startup with 10 people working out of a garage. There's no reason Revit should have issues AutoCAD had solved 25 years ago.

To be honest –and I realize this is extreme– but I think Revit itself could use a ground-up rewrite that goes off a new spec. There's some really dumb limitations with Revit that infuriate users. Small lines, can't do that. PDFs linked, can't do that. Formulas that work with common units, doesn't work. Labels with text formatting, can't do that. Concatenating of text? Really? There is clearly something wrong with the underlying code base. Autodesk is making new software left and right, but I think it's time one of those new products be a new BIM app that puts Revit on a shelf.

If Autodesk doesn't do it, someone else will.

Momentan arbeiten wir an einem Addin, welches genau dies ermöglichen soll.

Hier ein kleiner Vorgeschmack:

Wir benötigen noch freiwillige Tester, um ein optimales Produkt liefern zu können. Falls Sie Interesse haben, melden Sie sich gerne unter fabian.oswald@pid-projektmanagement.com 

jan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was going to post my own use case here, but Revit develoment team: aren't there enough reasons listed here already? How much support needs to be gathered for something so critical with no real workarounds? Basic string formulas, for all the reasons mentioned above, are not just bells and whistles, they are a core part to decent inside-Revit data management that should not take 7+ years to implement.

jan_0-1711643448126.png

CEdwardsUN5MX
Enthusiast

@Anonymous

Look on the bright side, every dollar saved on not developing software that corporate and other users will still buy, despite the now very noticeable lack of any development, every year, is a dollar free to go towards the ludicrous 'compensation' that Autodesk's management get each year for explaining away why they are not providing any meaningful updates.

That kind of chutzpa takes 'talent' that we mere mortals obviously don't have, or we wouldn't be using the software, we'd be making 7 or 8 figure incomes (plus stock options, bonuses etc etc) in what is really charging rent (hard to tell if this is /s or not?).

https://www.salary.com/tools/executive-compensation-calculator/autodesk-inc-executive-salaries?year=2023 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators