Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align with auto-lock function

Align with auto-lock function

I would like to see a function to automatically lock elements like sketch based floors, or working in parametric families when aligning. The align tool already has an ''multiple alignment'' function, why not an ''auto-lock'' function?

This would save me a lot of time because now i have to align everything, and manually go to the lock icon.

Revit LT 2016

27 Comments
trevor.taylor
Enthusiast

I like it!

AlignPlusLock.png

Dzianis.Hk
Advocate

Please add Auto-Lock option for Align command. Like we have using "Pick lines" tool. For example, it can be very helpful for aligning multiple instances to reference plane and locking them.

adamnicholes
Enthusiast

I love the "Pick Line" tool in the Draw Options. I love using the Align Tool and having the option to Lock my sketch to an existing line or element.

How about creating an option under the Align tool that will automatically close the padlock symbol when aligning elements?

You could even create a Draw option icon e.g. similar to the "Pick Line" tool, but it also has a little padlock symbol with it. "Pick and Lock."

Me: Sounds like a good idea, I know!

Autodesk: We'll get right on that!

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be interesting align elements with the lock option and not have to lock each time when we click on the item to be aligned.

Nurlan-A.
Advisor
Anonymous
Not applicable

I liked the toggle idea where you click the alignment and then tap space bar the lock. 

Although why not just provide a check box on the options bar next to the "Multiple align" function. I do a lot of work with parametric families and this would save me tonnes of time.

hstaabprime
Advocate
hstaabprime
Advocate
casquatch
Collaborator

I have a similar post on this same topic, but it didn't get much traction (and was archived). I still feel that having a keyboard shortcut to toggle a lock (or locks) that is on the screen would be simplest. This would be best, rather than having them always on or off with a checkbox.

In my post @lionel.kai mentioned something about multiple locks on the screen, since this is only referring to the Align tool, this wouldn't be an issue. The only time you see multiple locks show up is if you are drawing linework and it snaps to something else.

If you've aligned something, you've made sure that you aligned it to the correct item that you wanted to constrain it to, so if it's simple to turn on the constraint, then it would make things more efficient. 

htews
Collaborator

when you start the Align command and select 'Multiple Alignment', there should be an option next to it to 'Automatic lock' all components that you are aligning.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Add a check box to options bar to automatically lock when align command used with pick lines, etc. This would basically be a combo command: align and lock (in one action)

Tags (1)
dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

I found at least six other Revit Ideas identical to yours simply by copy/Pasting your title into the search field.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good job, you're very resourceful.
takumi.yoshioka
Autodesk

Alignment and locking simultaneously by option. 

Tags (1)
Intuos5
Advisor
Default behavior should be not to lock, to avoid mistakes. Perhaps giving a visual clue by having the mouse cursor appear with a lock.
acrossonbouwers
Contributor

I really like this idea. I also propose adding an auto lock to reference function for the trim/extend to single and multiple elements tool. I find this easier to use than the align tool because you just have to select a whole wall/element instead of a specific face to align. 

matthewRK4XX
Explorer

make this happen autodesk

Anonymous
Not applicable

There should be a check box parameter in the align tool that automatically locks when you align two things. It gets annoying when you have a lot of things to align and lock.

Tags (2)
Keith_Wilkinson
Advisor

How do I vote for this again... ? 🙄

This is one of those things that would make a massive difference to anyone who is in the business of building families. I would be a massive time saver, Autodesk, please take a look at this, might be an easy win?  😁

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report