Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add "Go to Sheet" on right click menu

Add "Go to Sheet" on right click menu

When you use right click on top of a placed section or elevation, you have the option "Go to Elevation View". Can you add an option to "Go to sheet"?

RIGHT CLICK MENU.jpg

27 Comments
scbunker
Collaborator

I would like a function to quickly open the sheet which contains the active view.

For example, if I'm working in a view titled 'Level 1 Floor Plan', and I need to go to the sheet which contains the view, I have to scroll down the project browser, find the sheet, and open. In large projects with hundreds of views and dozens of sheets, this takes too long. I would like to have a function to quickly open the sheet while working in the view.

The button would probably be most appropriate in the View tab, but I don't really care where because I'm really just interested in having the function to assign a keyboard shortcut. Thus, whenever I'm in a view and type the shortcut, e.g. 'OS', it will Open the Sheet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good idea. I've suggested something similar elsewhere on this forum already: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/add-indicator-link-showing-that-view-has-been-placed-on-a...

cheers,

-tomek

scbunker
Collaborator

Your idea is great! Your indicator could be the button for the open sheet command.

lionel.kai
Advisor

Maybe the button should be on the contextual tab (as it's something that should be available for a selection), but it would also need to be shown even when nothing's "selected" (treat the active view as the "selection")?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice idea, i think also it would be nice to add that if an option is created to open the sheet from any view that it could open the view and still have a "lock" placed on any view elements so as not to accidentally shift or change anything on the design in view.  

lionel.kai
Advisor

@Anonymous It sounds like that should be a separate idea - would you mind posting it? It sounds like your idea is "viewer" and/or "detailing" related. I've tried checking out everything (in 3D) in the model before handing it off to a detailer who will put in Detail Components, Annotation Symbols, Text, etc., but I keep getting permission requests for seemingly unrelated/unneeded elements...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lionel.kai, i was adding to the original post idea in that its such a pain to always have to scroll through the project browser to go to the sheets in a model and that as the original post idea was to have REVIT be programmed to allow one to be able to go to the sheet view right from a plan view.  I was adding the thought in the sense that when the user goes into the sheet view in such a way he/she would also have a "lock" or buffer built in by the REVIT programmer that would prevent any view mishaps (e.g.: dragging any plans info, or deleting) I guess the word "lock" may not have been proper and gave the idea of permission/user locking.     For what you are describing i would guess that has more to do with how a REVIT model is being opened by you and or the detailer.  Also keeping in mind that even if one goes into REVIT and pans/zooms and makes no edits to anything in the model they still need to synch and relinquish all elements. 

lionel.kai
Advisor

@Anonymous I don't understand - once you go from the View to the Sheet, what do you want "locked" and why?

For my use case, I'd be working in a View (most likely opened by double-clicking a section cut on plan) and want to see where it's placed on a Sheet - how much space it has, etc. Most likely (after going to the Sheet) I'd then activate the same View and continue working on it... unless instead of "open sheet (that contains this view)" the functionality will be "open IN sheet (open current view on sheet)" (in which case it would save me the activation step).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lionel.kai i meant that if REVIT programmers created a way for one to go directly to a sheet to edit it from a plan view.  Then in that case i guess REVIT already would have the framing plan locked in its own way so the "lock" would not be needed...(the lock i was referring to has to do so that one would not accidently moved anything in the plan while editing the sheet in this way).  Right now yes, one can go into any sheet and double click in and out to activate views.

informatique
Contributor

It works for me with this:

In the browser, right-click on the title of your active view and choose 'open sheet'...

It can't be in a shortcut but much quicker than scrolling to your sheets...

scbunker
Collaborator

@informatique, I actually just noticed this option in the menu last week. So I feel a little silly posting the idea here.

So I think I'll hijack my own idea thread by throwing this out there: I think it'd be great for there to be a little icon in the browser beside views which are on a sheet, so we can quickly tell whether the views are on a sheet.

lionel.kai
Advisor

@informatique Now we just need a "scroll Project Browser to current view" command". Smiley Tongue At least the current view is highlighted bold, so it's sometimes easy to find (assuming the Project Browser is fully expanded).

@scbunker i.e. just go vote for tomek's idea Smiley Happy I also like yours, though (if it's implemented as a contextual button). As it is, I'm more likely to just look at the view's "Sheet Number" property (and scroll down to the Sheets section of the Project Browser) than I am to scroll through the Project Browser looking for a particular View (just so that I can right-click on it).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know you can open a View by Double-click'g the elevation arrowhead, the section head, or the callout head.

But there should be an option to open the Sheet the View is placed by perhaps right mouse clicking on  the elevation arrowhead, the section head, or the callout head.

Area Object Link | Attribute Modifier | Dwg Setup | Feet-Inch Calculator
Layer Apps | List on Steroids | VP Zoom Scales | Exchange App Store

Tags (1)
rasmus.oberg
Enthusiast

This would be very helpful, I tend to place my views on Sheets right away and then always work on them from there(our end product is drawings after all), since a View can only be placed on one Sheet, this suggestion should be workable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be nice to have the option of clicking on a referemce/callout/elevation/section and going to the sheet it is placed on, not just to open the view itself.

c_collings
Contributor

I agree with this and would add that it should work both ways.   I would like to be able to click on a sheet view and find where it is called out.   When reviewing drawings that were generated by someone else, it can be hard to find where a particular section or detail occurs in the building.  obviously you can ask the person, but long term projects can have lots of people that may no longer work at the office.    

it would be nice to be able to click on it on the sheet and see where it occurs in the building.    the "find referring view" tool only opens the view (floor plan, etc) and doesn't show you where the callout is.  i would like it to zoom in so that you can see where the actual callout occurs.

c_collings
Contributor

nevermind my comment.    after playing with the "find referring view" tool,  revit does highlight the callout on the referring view.   i'm working on a large project, and the highlighted callout was hard to see on the overall plan, so i didn't think it worked and stopped using the function.   it would be nice if it zoomed in on the callout, but now that i know what to look for, i should be able to use this as intended.

hcrespi
Explorer

Perhaps it could be a hot-key command like Control+Click on the view reference..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Strongly agree with this! 

Henrik_Nobile
Enthusiast

The option with "Go to sheet" would be extremely useful and save us a lot of time - please give it to us 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report