Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHISH for Revit 2016

82 REPLIES 82
Message 1 of 83
K4rl33
18738 Views, 82 Replies

WHISH for Revit 2016

Dear Santa... 🙂

...for the next version of Revit, I would like to have a more user friendly iterface.

Coming from classical 3d modeler, I already usually work with a multi windows layout, but I think that a BIG step forward would be to orient the core of the program to a more flexible multi/windows interface, for example giving to the user the possibility to activate a window simply going through with the mouse.

This would allow to set up more than a window in the canavas,working in a easier way.

I suggest also to give a thinner look to the windows border, in order to put them in a layout like in 3dStudio Max or Rhino. 

Last of all, in my opinion, a big step forward would be to create an hybrid phylosophy from revit familes and autodesk layers, in order to group families into layers with a layer manager easy to access.

82 REPLIES 82
Message 2 of 83
Anonymous
in reply to: K4rl33

all hope this...!!!:)

Message 3 of 83
chrisplyler

I do not understand your wish for layers. I can not think what benefit this might provide.

How do you imagine this would function? What do you hope to achieve?

xtn

Message 4 of 83
rosskirby

So to summarize, you want Revit's window interface to be like Max, and layers like CAD?

I can see some benefits to having similar interfaces between Revit and Max, since the interoperability between those two is getting better and better, but you can tile windows in Revit now, so I doubt this feature will ever make it high enough on the list to be completed.

And I'll have to completely disagree with you on the layers wish.  Revit has family Categories (and Sub-Categories) with Object Style controls, which are far more useful and customizable than AutoCAD's layers, especially once you start making use of filters.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 83
marcin
in reply to: rosskirby

That Revit Categories are "far more useful and customizable" than Layers is simply not true.I could write a long article about it, but without going into details, the best proof of the fact, that some kind of container, where you could place anything you want is needed in Revit is that we are already using it a lot!. I obviously mean here Worksets, which had long ago lost its original function (data access protection) and became the closest functionality to Autocad Layers, which Revit has.

The Filter mechanism, which you mentioned, is a great idea, but as almost everything in Revit is so poorly implemented, that is usless in many real, more complex situations (e.x try to assign different colors in plan view to floor slabs based on their elevation above, below or at the Associated Level for the given floor plan - good luck!). 

Worksets are the only way to group and manage sets of objects, which do not have anything in common from the Revit point of view (are from different Categories), but for some reason should be managed together. Yes, we have Groups and (since very recently) saved Selection Sets, but the functionality of those methods is pretty limited, FOLLOW what is already happening and give Worksets more functionality. Or give us more freedom in creating and managing Categories. My hope that Autodesk is able to ANTICIPATE, what architects may need was lost long ago ....

Message 6 of 83
Anonymous
in reply to: marcin

I hope Revit 2016 will be operation on Mac Os

Message 7 of 83
rosskirby

Marcin,

It sounds like you've already formed your opinion on how you think the software should work, so I'm not going to argue the point with you.  Years ago, we made a few minor tweaks to our workflows to accommodate some of the technological hurdles we faced when we transitioned to Revit, but not everyone will have as easy a time of it as we did.  I can understand your frustration, but we'll have to agree to disagree as to whether or not Revit needs CAD-equivalent layers functiontionality.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 83
filipefrancisco
in reply to: Anonymous

The same wish for me :smiley lol:

Filipe Francisco
Comunidade Autodesk - Português - Colaborador
Autodesk Certified Instructor | AutoCAD Certified | Revit Architecture Certified | Autodesk Expert Elite

YOUTUBE | LINKEDIN

Se a resposta resolveu o seu problema, clique em Aceitar como Solução isso ajuda os outros usuários a encontrar rapidamente uma resposta e Curta se gostou.

If the answer solved your problem, click Accept as Solution. This helps other users to quickly find an answer. And hit Like if you do.

Autodesk Community

Message 9 of 83
marcin
in reply to: rosskirby

Ross, it is a bit of shame, that you do not want to discuss your point of view any further, as this is what could be expected from a discussion list like this. And it is also a shame that you did not refer at all to the examples I gave to explain what are the current methods in Revit to manage objects from various Categories and why we do not need anything more. With the topic like Revit functionality it is hard to prove any point without sharing real examples and solutions from your experience. 

Opinions may be formed and may be changed with right argumentation, but one I defiitely share is that Autodesk is not a company committed to its clients and to developing its products. They take advantage of their strong position in the market, earned with AutoCAD (the only true Autodesk product) to buy off competitors, but lack know how or skills or will or all of this to deliver truly proffesional solutions. So, after all those years working with and teaching Revit, I would not expect too much from this poor Santa... 

Message 10 of 83
Anonymous

1. Customizable interface is vital. custom tool bars and commands to be placed top, sides or/bottom. View commands as zoom, Extents, window, pan buttons to be placed in tool bars also.

2. Customizable images size of families in the current file, in the Project browser list and property palette list.

3. Saved Customized Workspace drop down, Workspace switching similar to 3dsmax.

4. Show 3d Camera Button in any view.

5. Dark interface (Buttons and drop downs) simular to Autocad 2015 and Adobe 2015 products

6. Manage Tabs to manage multiple open files

7. Customizable (Colors and type) Pointer to Crosshairs

8. Customizable View 3D Grid to infinity, major and minor lines (Colors, size, line type,thickness and type) (visual Not selectable)

9. Print Button on toolbars

Message 11 of 83
Anonymous

32bit version

Message 12 of 83
Anonymous

Wall types to contain wood framing or metal framing

Message 13 of 83
Anonymous

1. Roof types to contain wood framing or metal framing

2. Floor types to contain wood framing or metal framing

3. Ceiling types to contain wood framing or metal framing

Message 14 of 83
DarrenP

@raavella wrote:

32bit version

not going to happen

Autodesk has discontinued the 32 bit version of some of their products starting with the 2014 products and even more for the 2015 version

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 15 of 83
Anonymous

copying or templates of schedules in assembly editor between different assembly.

Message 16 of 83
chrisplyler

marcin,

Assign different colors to floor slabs based on their elevation above, below or at the associated level for a floor plan? Took me about two and a half minutes, and can now be applied to other views in about a minute, or can be set as part of a view template and applied all over the place in ten seconds.

Slab_Elevations.jpg

Slab_Elevations_3d.jpg

Message 17 of 83
marcin

Dear Mikhail,

You probably used filtering by Height Offset from Level. Please note that
filtering by Height Offset from Level takes into account ONLY the value of
Height Offset from Level parameter and NOT the true elevation of the floors
in a project. This is useless in most projects, which are a bit more complex
than a shed, where you may have tens of different floor slabs, which are
placed on VARIOUS LEVELS and whose Height Offset From Level parameter is 0.
Many of them may be visible on the same floor plan.

It would not take much to have it fixed. When you filter Floors by Level you
would only need to have the option of Associated Level to be selected rather
than only the explicitly defined Levels in the Project. Unfortunately clever
guys from Autodesk did not think about it, just like about 200 of other
things ..

Please let me know if my explanations are not clear enough.

With regards

Marcin Klocek
Message 18 of 83
chrisplyler

I am not Mikhail, but I assume you were responding to me.

I did not filter by Offset. I filtered by absolute elevation.

I hear what you're saying in that the filterable criteria is restricted only to a hard coded list. Perhaps what would help - and keep within the BIM logistical model - would be to have user defined categories and sub categories, assign things to them, and add them to the list of filter criteria.

Are you aware that you can just manually select items to be part of a filter set? I can create a filter that specifically targets every slab I select, then apply that filter to a view and turn them - and only them - red.

I don't mean to suggest that Revit doesn't have a lot of faults. I'm just suggesting that visual layers like AutoCad isn't going to fix them, and isn't a logically necessary implimentation in a 3D BIM solution such as Revit.

Message 19 of 83
marcin
in reply to: chrisplyler

Dear Chris (sorry for using wrong name - hope I am correct this time),

Could you please explain how did u filter Floors by ??absolute elevation??? The only parameters related to elevation available for Floors in Filter definition are Level and Height Offset From Level and none of them serves the purpose as explained before.

I never suggested that ??layers?? would solve all the Revit faults, but only that there is a need of a container tool, which would allow managing together objects belonging to different Categories. The case of Worksets and the way they are used in the industry clearly proves this point. Autodesk should just take notice, acknowledge what is already happening and make the Worksets more usable. From my experience it may take them another 5 years or so ....

Marcin
Message 20 of 83
chrisplyler

I see that you are correct. I had created three structural slabs, not floors. Structural foundations have the filter parameters "Elevation at Top" and "Elevation at Bottom" available. I apologize for getting this wrong...I normally create slabs by habit, using floors only for finishes such as tile, carpet, etc.

In my defense, your original challenge was, "...try to assign different colors in plan view to floor slabs based on their elevation above, below or at the Associated Level for the given floor plan...."

But you are right, it's annoying that some parameters one might want to filter by aren't available.

There is, of course, already a container tool allowing management of objects belonging to different categories. Object styles, graphic overrides and filters are category based. The problem more specifically, as I see it, is the fact that it limits us by the very nature of it's pre-defined database list and organization. It's a lousy work-around, but you can create filters targeting manually selected items. That's will achieve a similar result as assigning items to a layer.

xtn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report