Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What processor and Graphic Card for Revit, Robot, Advance Steel

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
712 Views, 4 Replies

What processor and Graphic Card for Revit, Robot, Advance Steel

Hi there,

We are looking into upgrading the computers.

I was thinking about using Radeon Processors 3900 or 3900x type but it looks like more people recommend intel. Are there any special functions at Intel that speeds it up?

For graphics, I was thinking about Quadro RTX4000, but I am not sure if there is a lot of advantages over standard "gaming" graphic cards like RTX 3070etc. price to price comparison?

RAMwise I will take 64gb and for SSD it will be 1TB NVME ssd

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Anonymous

you can refer to this system requirements and see if help. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 5
_Vijay

Here it is for mine

Z2 TWR G4 90 500W IND Chassis

128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 2666 NECC

Intel Core I9- 9900 3.1GHz 8C

1TB M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe TLC SSD

1TB 2.5in SATA SSD/Operating System Load

AMD RdnP WX 3200 4GB 4mDP Graphics

No Included ODD/wired Keyboard Mouse

HP ZCentral Remote Boost 2020 SW for Z

Win 10 Pro 64 HIE

3/3/3 Warranty

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: _Vijay

So looking at yours, in summary:

you need a badass processor and a lot of RAM.

Graphic card is not very important?

Do you agree?

Message 5 of 5
gccdesign

Here is what I am looking at from researching this subject.

I haven't built a computer with these specs, the one I have now is adequate and I'm waiting for PCIe 4.0 to become more adopted to build another one.

I'm basing this on the concept that a lot of processes in Revit and Autocad do not utilize multiple cores of a CPU. So what you want would be weighted more on the CPU speed than the number of cores.

But having more cores can still be helpful especially when doing renders.

You can look at this yourself to some degree if you open up the Resource Monitor under the Task Manager>Performance tab. Using these you can see the graphics card and CPU cores activity when you do different things in Autocad & Revit.

The CPUs with more cores often tend to have slower clock speeds, so these might actually run Autocad & most functions in Revit a bit slower.

So if I was building a desktop computer today, this is probably what I would get. I'm not into overclocking anything, so it would just run at stock speeds.

Intel i9 10900K. This has 10 cores which is quite a bit, but also has a clock speed of 5.30, which is pretty fast.

For this you will need a motherboard with a LGA 1200 socket to fit that CPU.

Then a Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler.

For the graphics card I would consider a Quadro RTX 4000. It's expensive, but not thousands.

In my own experience, I'm now using a Quadro P4000, the Quadro cards do work better for Autocad & Revit than the "gaming" cards. With the GTX card I had before I would get more odd lags and temporary freezes, and a few other odd things.

There are a lot of differing opinions on this, but that is just my experience.

Going with a good SSD card is helpful, so a motherboard that is set up for that is good.

I had a bad experience with a Samsung 960 Pro 2 TB SSD. Maybe Samsung did as well, because it's discontinued.

So maybe a Samsung 970 Pro SSD 1 TB. Or 2 of them if you need more space.

I've never used a Supermicro motherboard, but have looked at the C9Z490-PGW. It has connections for 2 SSD cards, both with heatsinks.

I'm not really a computer guru, I just know enough to get myself in trouble.

But maybe you will find this helpful.

When you start deciding what components what you want to use, you also need to size your cooling and power supply needs to be adequate.

There are a couple websites that have power supply calculators that help you size the power supply unit (PSU).

Here is one.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

You need to choose a case that is large enough to fit the CPU cooler and so on.

As for memory, I don't personally know if regular or ECC memory really makes much difference. I would love to hear from people that have experience and actual hands-on knowedge with this.

GChapp

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators