Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wall type by attachment (or height?) and tagging

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
laura.d.morgan4.ctr
362 Views, 10 Replies

wall type by attachment (or height?) and tagging

BLUF: can you somehow indicate wall height constraints in wall types?

I am upgrading a set of autoCAD 2-d files into a Revit model.

Has a drop ceiling and large parts of the building have raised access flooring.

the way that the architect scheduled the wall type tags was by if/how far the wall penetrated the raised flooring or drop ceiling, how many layers of drywall and what kind of sound insulating capabilities the wall had.

so for example, a G5 partition would go all the way down past the raised flooring at the bottom and all the way to the underside of the deck at the top and the width of the stud would be indicated with a letter after the G5 indicator 

G5A would be a 75mm stud

R1A would also be a 75mm stud but would stop at the top of the raised floor and bottom of drop ceiling

but heights on walls are instance parameters, not type parameters

what is my best strategy of creating these wall types in Revit so that they will tag correctly? 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Allow Layer Extension in Compound Layered Walls and Parts should get you there.

Help: Modify Compound Walls (autodesk.com)

About Parts | Revit 2019 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Message 3 of 11

You can sort them in a schedule so that you can change type based on heights and/ or top attachment.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 11

okay so then the schedule would end up driving the tag?  I'm pretty new at all this and haven't yet done much with schedules but am eager to learn...

Message 5 of 11

Tags and Schedules only report Element Properties.  

Tags | Revit 2021 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Message 6 of 11

The schedule is a means to sort and group walls based on their height or attachment, then you can change them all to g5 type or g5a type.  You tag walls normally in plans.

Toan Nguyen
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 11

thanks!  I think this makes sense...

Message 8 of 11

What does that solution have to do with your question "what is my best strategy of creating these wall types in Revit so that they will tag correctly"?  

Message 9 of 11

Here's some more information for you:   

Creating a Roof | Revit | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Create a Floor | Revit 2019 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

I have a great recipe for Three Bean Casserole I can share too, if you're interested. 

😉   

Message 10 of 11

you are right...its a round about solution to getting them labelled correctly but it doesn't create wall types that force the height adjustments...just reports the heights that are there and allows tagging based on what has been done manually.  I'm afraid I am not smart enough to implement your solution, which might work better if I understood how to do it. my apologies.  I feel like a rank beginner sometimes thrown into the deep end.

Message 11 of 11

You can just use one wall type G5:

- create a wall schedule, add Height and Comments

- sort the schedule by Height, untick Itemize every instance box

- Enter A to Comments of walls not up to the deck

- edit your wall tag, edit label and add Type Mark and Comments to the label

- tag all walls with this tag and walls up to deck will show G5, walls up to floor will show G5A

Toan Nguyen

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators