Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall reveals stop above door opening

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
eviele
2909 Views, 23 Replies

Wall reveals stop above door opening

Hi all,

Attached is an image showing how our reveals stop above the door. They didn't always do this, but we've recently changed the level elevations due to a change in grade.
Since that move and since fixing a few wall errors we now have the reveals stopping above the door. We're not sure why and I'm out of ideas, any advice to get our reveals to be continuous?

Thanks.
Eric
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: eviele

Eric, did you by chance have another wall inplace
at that location?  JAT

--
Mike Maloney
RAC 2009
ACA 2008
Navisworks 5.5

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Hi
all, Attached is an image showing how our reveals stop above the door. They
didn't always do this, but we've recently changed the level elevations due to
a change in grade. Since that move and since fixing a few wall errors we now
have the reveals stopping above the door. We're not sure why and I'm out of
ideas, any advice to get our reveals to be continuous? Thanks. Eric
Message 3 of 24
eviele

No, the errors mentioned above were about walls incorrectly joining.

No wall in place at that location.
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous

You could try forcing Revit to regenerate that part of the wall. I would
suggest Cutting the door (ctr+x) and then Paste Aligned>Same Place. HTH

-MJ
wrote in message
news:6083278@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi all, Attached is an image showing how our reveals stop above the door.
They didn't always do this, but we've recently changed the level elevations
due to a change in grade. Since that move and since fixing a few wall errors
we now have the reveals stopping above the door. We're not sure why and I'm
out of ideas, any advice to get our reveals to be continuous? Thanks. Eric
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous

Make sure that the Reveal in the Wal type is set to Cutable in the properties of the reveal. You'll have to get to it through editing the properties of the wall.
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Cuttable option is only for sweeps, and I don't see it for reveals... I have the same issue. 

Message 7 of 24
sbalaz

Is there a solution to this issue? I'm having the same problem in 2017. 

Message 8 of 24
Kimtaurus
in reply to: sbalaz

Can you post a screen shot of the wall AND of your reveal settings?

How is the reveal's profile defined? Is the reveal part of the wall type settings?

Normally the reveal should be continuous above a door or window.

Reveal.JPG

No problems her, for both built-in and in-place reveals.

Capture.PNG

Message 10 of 24
chrisplyler
in reply to: ToanDN

I guessing maybe he has a SINGLE reveal defined, using a Profile containing several little rectangles. So if it gets cut at its placement point, it cuts all the way up.

The solution, if that is the case, would of course be to define several separate reveals using a profile containing a single rectangle.

Message 11 of 24
sbalaz
in reply to: chrisplyler

20180109 REVIT ERROR.PNGThat's correct. I'm using a single profile with multiple voids. The weird thing and the reason I'm asking about this is because there are no issues with this over windows, only above doors. And yes, I did end up using single void reveals above the doors as a patch. So I guess my question is: what is it about the doors causing this? I don't see any differences in family properties between doors and windows that could be causing this. Thanks all! 

Message 12 of 24
chrisplyler

I don't know this for certain...I just suspect it.

Your single profile with lots of reveals contained within it is probably drawn up from the horizontal plane, and within the wall structure the reveal is probably set to be placed 0' from the base of the wall (or at least very low) right?

So the doors (and the curtain wall) are cutting the "insertion point" of the reveal, but the window, which doesn't sit at the bottom of the wall, does not cut it. I suspect this results in the behavior you have.

Possible solution is to build the profile DOWN from the horizontal plane, and then in the wall structure set it be placed an appropriately high distance up from the bottom of the wall, or maybe even a low distance down from the top of the wall. In this way the "insertion point" will be up high such that neither the window, the doors or the curtain wall will be cutting it.

Or just do a single reveal in the profile and then set it up in the wall structure to have lots of instances.

Message 13 of 24
ToanDN

Good guess.  Then the fix is easy by set the Base offset to below 0.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Message 14 of 24
sbalaz

You my friend are a genius. I set the profile from the top of the wall, and it works! (As a test I moved the window down to 0'-0" and it broke the previous reveal).
Thank you much!
-Stefan
Message 15 of 24
chrisplyler

@ToanDN wrote:

Good guess.  Then the fix is easy by set the Base offset to below 0

Ah yes, that would work too. Regardless of how you adjust the "insertion point" to solve the problem, you would just have to adjust your Profile sketch to suit it so that you get what you were aiming for in the resulting wall.

Message 16 of 24
bsulliv

I ran in to the same problem with a large reveal being "interrupted" by a door that crossed it's path. Another quick fix I found is to set the door sill height just slightly above the level, say 1/32". This works for a short term fix, but I think it would throw off the door schedule.

Message 17 of 24
bsulliv
in reply to: bsulliv

1.png2.png

Message 18 of 24
ToanDN

I would create those as wall based or face based family with shallow cut
instead of Reveals.
Message 19 of 24
bsulliv

What kind of family? Could you explain the process?
Message 20 of 24
ToanDN

@bsulliv wrote:
What kind of family? Could you explain the process?

As simple generic model wall based family with a parametric void.  See attached.

ToanDN_0-1631548633733.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report