Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Materials Query

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
phillip_z_runyon
346 Views, 5 Replies

Wall Materials Query

I am attempting to make a two toned material for the exterior of a building. When I change the exterior material I have two issues. First I can only do one material - is it possible to do say 10 feet of vertical brick and then make the next 10' lap siding? Is this only possible if I make the stacked wall (the top 8') into a different wall? Second, When I edit one wall for the material, it affects all connecting pieces for that segment of the building - is this maybe due to them being a family? if so, how do I break the family a part?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi,

The easy way is to split the face of the wall (Modify -> Split Face) and paint it (Modify -> Paint).

The second way with split the layers of the wall.

Take a look here: https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-50482AF3-42C3-4993-A7B5-EB3E1C17FAE1

and here: https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-AB491B02-07E9-4ED8-9912-BE9B9BC2440D

If my post help you, please give a like.
If your question was answered please mark it with ACCEPT SOLUTION. This helps others to find answers...

Kostas Kouris
Architect Engineer, M.Sc., ACI, ACP

Message 3 of 6

Stacked wall is definitely the most accurate way to do this. Splitting and painting doesn't show that the thickness of the wall is likely changing depending on the exterior material. Plus, by modeling correctly, you can include any sill or other transition element between wall types within the wall itself rather than manually adding sweeps everywhere.

The other issue is because I assume those walls are the same type. If you want them to be different, you need to duplicate the one you are editing to make a new type. This is a pretty essential thing to understand in Revit. People that don't understand this feature can do a lot of damage to a model.

Message 4 of 6

Thank you, I figured as much. I am an engineering student but was tasked to help an architect and I have no experience in the software. She constructed the model, but has no depth in the software as well. I believe the errors I am encountering are from the paths she took - although they appear to work on the surface, they are not fluid for editing things such as I have asked. I appreciate your time, I am going to jump to it, thanks again!

Message 5 of 6

Thank you! I will see how this works with my purpose. I appreciate your time!

Message 6 of 6

Do some quick YouTube searches on creating wall types and you should be good to go.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators