Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall length incorrect after joining walls

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
10dbim3
599 Views, 8 Replies

Wall length incorrect after joining walls

Greetings,

I'm trying to figure out a way to get the correct wall length once it has attached to a wall. I need to do this since it it gives out incorrect length. Also is there a workaround in dynamo to solve this issue.
Please refer to the screen shot to just a better understand of what I mean.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
MachielAEC
in reply to: 10dbim3

The problem comes in on the joining of the wall. The wall length and area is calculated based on the center line so when walls are joined that center line is now shorter. This can be seen easier when you create really thick walls and want to compare internal/external wall finishes vs center line.

This is also impacted by joined type, butt or chamfered (can’t remember right name).

In most cases I was happy with the tolerances and it ‘sort itself’ where in some instances it’s more and other it’s less. And I would add a waste calculation which increase the total above than what is scheduled.

However, to get it really accurate, I would look at Dynamo and build your own formula’s and input into a parameter on the element and schedule that.

there was an Autodesk University class on guys talking about the technical ins/outs of this and if I remember correctly they had some app that did this or dynamo.

Machiel Odendaal
---BIM Enthusiast---
Message 3 of 9
10dbim3
in reply to: MachielAEC

Hello Michiel!
Appreciate the quick response. I will be on the lookout for the app.
However I would like to know if the above mentioned app or script changes the geometry of the wall or changes the the location from where the length of the wall is taken(ie from the face to the end of the wall instead of center)
Thanks
Message 4 of 9
barthbradley

@10dbim3 wrote:

Greetings,

I'm trying to figure out a way to get the correct wall length once it has attached to a wall. I need to do this since it it gives out incorrect length and hence an incorrect area calculation when walls are joined. Also is there a workaround in dynamo to solve this issue.
Please refer to the screen shot to just a better understand of what I mean.

Not sure I follow. How is Area incorrect (or Volume for that matter)? Area and Volume is removed at union.  

Message 5 of 9
barthbradley

Length v Cut Length.png

Message 6 of 9
ToanDN

Use a material takeoff schedule, not a wall schedule.

Or better yet, create parts and schedule parts.

ToanDN_0-1681145800079.png

Message 7 of 9
10dbim3
in reply to: barthbradley

as shown in the picture. the area is correct but the length of the wall is incorrect when I take wall schedule.

Message 8 of 9
Mike.FORM

You can also use a calculated parameter to figure out the length on the face of the wall by using the formula "Area / Unconnected Height". In the Pic you can see the difference between the length parameter and the "Length on Face" parameter and how it relates to the wall.

MikeFORM_0-1681144849475.png

Message 9 of 9
barthbradley

@10dbim3 wrote:

as shown in the picture. the area is correct but the length of the wall is incorrect when I take wall schedule.

Look at my screenshot.  What's incorrect? 

...are you looking at Cut Length or Length?  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators