Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Footers

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2738 Views, 6 Replies

Wall Footers

I am creating a home with a concrete slab floor. I would like to place wall footers (foundations) below the floor and under the interior walls. However, when I create the footers, they attach directly to the bottom of the wall and I do not see a way to offset the footers down the thickness of the slab floor. Is there a way to do offset them or is there a better way to create these types of footers?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

Select all those footer walls, and do > Element properties, and specify these settings:
Base level = the top of your foundation.
Top level = level 1 (the top of your first slab).
Top offset = - (minus) the thickness of the slab.
Base offset = 0.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you for the quick reply. I was just able to get back and try your solution. However, I tried the settings and keep getting errors ("top lower than.."). So, I want to make sure that we are doing apples-apples.
1) By footer walls, you are referring to to the walls under which I want to place the footer not the footers themselves.
2) By Base level and Top level your are referring to Base Constraint and Top Constraint
3) By "top of your foundation" are you implying that you have a level created for just your foundations (footers)?
4) By "level 1 (top of your first slab)" are you referring to the level on which the wall is created?
5) By "- (minus) the thickness of the slab, are you enter -12" for a 12" slab or subtract 12" from the height of the wall?

Thank you.
Message 4 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

"1) By footer walls, you are referring to to the walls under which I want to place the footer not the footers themselves"
Yes. By footer walls I am referring to the walls placed over the footings, and under the first slab.
(I might have a confusion of terms here; I apologize, since English is my second language. For me the word "footing" is the mass of concrete in contact with the soil. By "wall footer" I understand the walls placed over the footings, usually of CMU, below the first floor slab or structure.).

"2) By Base level and Top level your are referring to Base Constraint and Top Constraint"
Yes.

"3) By "top of your foundation" are you implying that you have a level created for just your foundations (footers)?"
Yes. At the top of my footings. Having a level there is useful to create a foundation plan.

"4) By "level 1 (top of your first slab)" are you referring to the level on which the wall is created?"
By "level 1" I am referring to the top of the slab on grade, or equivalent.

"5) By "- (minus) the thickness of the slab, you enter -12" for a 12" slab or subtract 12" from the height of the wall?"
Just enter -12" (minus twelve inches) as top offset. As an alternative, you could use the Attach tool, to attach the walls (if we are talking about the same) to the bottom of the slab on grade or equivalent structure.

Please see the picture I posted.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Your vocab is fine. I just wanted to make sure. Sometimes, Autodesk terminology and real-world construction terminology do not mesh up.
However, I think we may still be talking past each other. I tried your suggestion and kept getting an error saying that the 'top of the wall is lower than the base of the wall'. I have tried several variations on the theme but can not get what I am looking for. I looked at your image and this does not seem to be what I am after unless I am completely missing your point.

In order to try to get a better handle on this, I created a simple wall, footer, and slab set up. I used the standard Revit architecture template. I then created a generic 4" wall on the T.O. Footing level. I varied the height of this wall from onconnected to connected to several diferent higher levels depending on how I was experimenting. I then attached a 12" footer to this wall extending between the T.O.Footing and B.O. Footing levels (-9' - 3" and -10' - 3" respectively). I then changed the elevation of the Basement level to -8' - 11" and placed a generic 4" floor slab on it. This produces a wall that goes through the slab to connect to the top of the footer. I want the bottom of the 4" wall to be resting on the top of the slab. See the attached quickee image file to see what I am trying create.

I think I am following your settings but this does not make sense to me. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks
Message 6 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

First establish your levels, like this:
BASEMENT at -8'-11".
T.O. FOOTING at -9'-3"

Then, go to your BASEMENT level floor plan and draw the wall.
(Base constrain = BASEMENT. Top constrain = (next level up) or a numeric positive value if it is Unconnected. Base offset = 0)
Then, on the same BASEMENT level floor plan draw a floor as a 4" concrete slab
(The top of the floor will be placed automatically at the BASEMENT level if you keep the default settings)
Then, on the T.O.FOOTING floor plan draw the continuous footing as a concrete beam, using the center line of the wall as a reference.
(The top of the beam will be placed automatically at the T.O.FOOTING level if you keep the default settings)

That should give you the results you are looking for, as per the image you posted.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you. That is what I was looking for. It is unfortunate that something this simple has to be rigged to create it. All of this would be easily accomplished if there were an offset from the wall parameter in the footers properties itself. Then, it would maintain the structural relationship between the wall and the footer in Revit as is the case for other walls.

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators