Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Void Revolve Not Cutting Geometry

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
goulnazarianh
1563 Views, 12 Replies

Void Revolve Not Cutting Geometry

Hello Everyone
I'm trying to Cut the Ionic Colum by Void Revolve but for some reason it tells me (Can't keep elements joined) any idea what's wrong? Note that I tried to Copy them or use Array or Rotate them one by one nothing works except when I try to mirror them it works fine but mirror won't help me with the angles for that I need Rotation or Radial Array.Void Revolve.Void Revolve.Void Revolve Not Cutting.Void Revolve Not Cutting.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi @goulnazarianh 

could you post this family? I'm afraid this issue is due to too small dimensions which are created once cut void is applied, but would like to test it

Message 3 of 13

Hi!

Revit does not like tangents and small angles. So you have to check your model and find a problem place. Try to move a bit your void in plan or at elevation. You will probably find a location at wich the void would cut properly.

210101_2226_003.jpg

Futhermore revolve is the most problematic kind of geometry causing various geometry bugs from time to time. I would suggest to use sweep istead revolve in every possible situation.

Maxim Stepannikov | Architect, BIM Manager, Instructor
Message 4 of 13

This is the file hope you can find out what's the problem.

Message 5 of 13

I'm sure that it will work with Void Extrusion but that's not what I'm looking for. Void Revolve is the right way to do it, but unfortunately it's not working. May I ask you to show me how do you do it by Void Sweep I have no idea how to select a Circular Column Edge to make that by Void Sweep.

Message 6 of 13

Please ZIP the file up using Windows -- not WinZIP.  

Message 7 of 13
syman2000
in reply to: goulnazarianh

Sounds like the issue is related to in-place family. If I copy the in-placed and placed it as revit family, it works with the void.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 8 of 13

Weird, but it seems that it works as @syman2000 said, so why not to do it as a family? Alternatively you can move the revolve inside or outside a bit. It will not be perfect, but cuts properly and the difference will be unnoticeable

Message 9 of 13

This is the Revit File hope it works this time.

Message 10 of 13

Because sometimes there are things that you can't really imagine so it's better to do it inside of the project by Model in Place. It's so frustrating to see that it works in family but not in Model in Place.

Message 11 of 13
goulnazarianh
in reply to: syman2000

By the way I tried your method but again it's not cutting the geometry for some reason and it is inside of a family not sure how it worked with your file but in my file it's not working.Inside a family (Generic Models).Inside a family (Generic Models).

Message 12 of 13
syman2000
in reply to: goulnazarianh

Did you use circular array? I tried with in-place using array and it failed to cut. I tried with the same method with generic family and it seems to work.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 13 of 13
goulnazarianh
in reply to: syman2000

I tried Array but it didn't work so I had to Rotate and Copy them one by one. When I used the Cutting tool it didn't cut the geometry but once I moved it out about 1mm it started to cut the geometry. So now the problem is solved.
Thank you for your help. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators