Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow speed Revit 2017

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
GHASEM_ARIYANI
16034 Views, 10 Replies

Very slow speed Revit 2017

Hello

There is a big problem in using Revit to work on files bigger than 100MB. When the file size exceeds 100MB, the Revit dramatically  loses speed, where toggling between two views takes about 2 minutes. We tested this on several files and we expereinced the same problem on all of them. It is while we use a strong hardware (CPU : I7, RAM:32Gb, HDD : 2TB, SSD: 256.
Would you please tell me your idea about the main cause of this problem please? and any possible  solutions for that?

-not workset.

-check audit

-use Purge

-Installed all the updates Revit 2017

-Disable All Add-ins

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

I currently use Revit 2017 at my workplace, and have files that exceed much bigger than the 100mb you had said (some of which are over 500mb after all the linked models/etc). While saying this, my computer specs are DRASTICALLY lower than yours (1gig video card, 16gig of ram, 500gig hard drive, 256 ssd, quad core processor) and I have never experienced a lag that you are talking about?

A couple things you can try:

- Make sure all your drivers on your comp are updated

- Make sure Revit 2017 isnt running off your integrated Video Card (you can manually set Revit to open with your top video card through things like Nvidias Control Panel, etc). I'm a big gamer, and when I get a new game, I sometimes forget that it will run that game using my integrated graphics card, and Ill have to manually go into Nvidias Control Panel to add it to the list of programs that uses my full video card). This seems to happen a lot with new downloaded programs, so this could be it.

- Open up said files on another computer and see if you experience the same problems with that computer 

- Do a cleanup of the inside of your PC (may be dusty)

- Uninstall and reinstall (id do this option last as its quite a big file)

Message 3 of 11

That's definitely not normal behavior.  View Regeneration performance is not really correlated to overall file size, so much as it is correlated with the number and complexity of the contents of the View Revit is drawing.  That said, 2 minute view regen time is not normal under any typical circumstance (short of somebody trying to draw millions of Elements in a single View with textures, shadows, ambient occlusions...the full boat).

Best way to drill into this would be getting a Revit Journal file from a Revit session that experienced that really long view regen time.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 11
L.Maas
in reply to: GHASEM_ARIYANI

-I also would look imported/linked files. Do you have linked files from other sources (cad, ifc) or imports in families like from sat files etc?

-Does your families make a lot of use of voids?

-Is this on any view or on 3d views with shading and shadows?

I sometimes work on a system with much lower specs and larger projects without having these problems

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 11

Hello

@YZhuang_Spectech
@L.Maas

@KyleB_Autodesk

Thank you for your advice.
I check all.

I sent in private link

Please check in your free time

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 11
L.Maas

I had a look at your file and it is indeed slow. I tried to open the warnings dialog (on Manage tab). I waited several (>10) minutes, but id did not open.

Checking the journal file revealed this:

---------------------------------

1:< Error dialog summary
' 1:< Warning: Highlighted elements are joined but do not intersect. - 605371 times
' 1:< Warning: Wall is slightly off axis and may cause inaccuracies. - 2 times
' 1:< Warning: Highlighted walls overlap. One of them may be ignored when Revit finds room boundaries. Use Cut Geometry to embed one wall within the other. - 7 times
' 1:< Warning: Insert conflicts with joined Wall. - 24 times
' 1:< Warning: Elements have duplicate "Type Mark" values. - 2 times
' 1:< Warning: Thickness of this Floor may be slightly inaccurate due to extreme Shape Editing. Dimensions to this element in sections and details may not accurately indicate the Thickness shown in Type Properties. - 2 times

---------------------------------

So you have 605408 warnings. So I can understand why project is slow. What the cause is of these warnings, the way you modeled it or because the project became 'corrupt' I do not know. 

It is always good to keep an eye on your warning in a project. You have to keep them to a minimum and try to resolve them as soon as possible.

What a minimum is depends on the project and is up for debate, but the amount you get is extreme.

Louis

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
L.Maas

I had some time to look into more detail to your project. Noticing that the slowness was related to the many (elements joined) warnings I started deleting big chunks of the project. After deleting the biggest part of the project it started to speed up. Looking at Warnings it showed just a few warnings. Focusing on those errors I indeed noticed that walls are joined and not intersecting.

Joined.png

So while not an error Revit warns you for this as it is not expected. With this many warnings Revit has to process all these warnings resulting in slow opening/redrawing of your views.

You will have to check how you can resolve this. The issue is that when the whole project is loaded due to the many errors the warnings dialog will not open (or takes ages).

You might consider to return to an earlier version of your project. Or rebuild your project by working (i.e. correcting the warnings) on chunks (single level?) of your project and then slowly rebuild your project.

Louis

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
GHASEM_ARIYANI
in reply to: L.Maas

Hello

Thank you for your very detailed answer

Exactly the when I used the following plug this problem was created

HotGear Project - Element Merger

Message 9 of 11

Nice investigation @L.Maas!  Upon discussion with some of our graphics developers, this degradation of performance would be expected with over half a million bad joins between Elements.  Our drawing code is working like crazy to clean up join geometry, where those joins are invalid.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 11

Hello @KyleB_Autodesk

Thanks for accountability and follow you.

I used to accelerate the work of the plug-in, But faced with this serious problem.

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

Revit links that reach 14 due to different room types (arch. discipline) and CAD links with too much polylines can also be a cause of slow generation?

Thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report