Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
tfollisBJKUS
1782 Views, 17 Replies

Labels (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
barthbradley
in reply to: tfollisBJKUS

Get an emotional support plant.  

Message 3 of 18
tfollisBJKUS
in reply to: barthbradley

haha considering it

Message 4 of 18

can you get an example:

• the CAD drawing - are the lines closed polylines?
  • and how the material has to look?

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 5 of 18

The polylines are closed save for one overlap (which I found and fixed in revit).

The material I'm looking for should be like this: https://www.bimobject.com/en/roca/product/fyj01fu25

But moreover I just wish revit was more intuitive to use, relying less on experience/trial and error, and more on intuition, the same way autocad or rhino do (in my opinion). Things that seem like they should be simple to do are nothing of the sort. I don't really expect forum members here to have a solution to that haha.

Message 6 of 18
barthbradley

Dude, you're burning way to many brain cells. This took me 15 seconds. It's an OOTB Material Asset.  

stone1.png

...there are easily a dozen other ones that match your DWG pattern. 

Message 7 of 18
tfollisBJKUS

the dwg pattern follows the geography of an area that my project is located in, hence I can't use a pre-made asset for the shape of it. I do however need to find a corten steel material somewhere to paint onto the mass I've made.

Message 8 of 18

1. import lines from autocad
  2. create an extrusion from those lines
  3. rotate it to fit against a wall
  4. apply a material.

How I see your problem and how I think it can be done in a simple way:

1.  create first a new thin wall having a single layer of material and place it near the support wall. Chose the material of the wall from Edit Assembly and call it somehow (I used metal deck because I forgot to change the name of duplicated material)  - this step covers your point 1.
  2. create the new material for the wall- I used a material from https://www.sketchuptextureclub.com
  3. While in Wall Edit Profile , import  the CAD file . Take care to be closed contours. Scale the imported item so to fit your purpose (1). Erase the original profile.
  4. you are able now to change materials as you want...

Image 1.png

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/c7ed08e0-dc38-4c3e-bc28-f832d11a0657

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 9 of 18

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck the OP is building that 38788 inches x 4000 inches.  Maybe those ROADS, not grout lines.  🤔

DDUNITS.png

Message 10 of 18

One day I tried to fly a helicopter, but since I had never flown a helicopter,  I was trying to find the only controls I know, the controls of a car. So the whole experience was a disaster. I think that helicopter was terribly, horribly made. How do they dare to make a helicopter different than a car?

🙄

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 11 of 18

Message 12 of 18
barthbradley

@tfollisBJKUS wrote:

the dwg pattern follows the geography of an area that my project is located in, hence I can't use a pre-made asset for the shape of it. I do however need to find a corten steel material somewhere to paint onto the mass I've made.

Surface Pattern of Material named "Corten Steel" applied to Dome-Shaped Mass using the Paint tool:

corten steel material.png

Message 13 of 18
tfollisBJKUS

Message 14 of 18
barthbradley

@tfollisBJKUS wrote:

@barthbradleyThose lines were copy-pasted into that document from another that was using millimetres for its units. I didn't bother checking the units since I expected to be able to scale it in revit anyway.

Also my apologies for the confusion. When I said "the drawing follows the geography" I meant the actual shape of the pattern is traced from maps of the region, not that it's going to be painted onto an uneven surface.

Just teasing, buddy.  

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

p.s. and get that emotional support plant.  😉      

Message 15 of 18
RobDraw

A masters is not required, a course or some training classes will more than suffice.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 16 of 18

You haven't to think now that this can be done in a single way...

No, it can be done in several ways:

1. for instance,  by using Component >Model in Place >Generic Models >Extrusion (as shown in the attached screencast) . If you want to place your screen not on the Wall Face, but at a certain distance, you will need to create first a Named Reference Plane ( the distance can be parametric) and use it as Work Plane for your Extrusion.
  2. or an Editable Family - for instance Generic Model Face Based

In both case you have to import CAD file while in Editing Mode, and pay attention if you have intersecting or not closed lines(you'll have to get rid of them)

• surprisingly , this model will be more difficult to be made in Mass because you'll have to make Form and Voids separately.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/e49bdb36-43af-49ff-95d2-6a4b114919dd

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 17 of 18
HVAC-Novice

I don't have a solution to your specific problems, but in general:

- don't use Revit like AutoCAD. 

- Create things natively in Revit whenever possible, don't import or link from other software. It never saves time and creates frustrations. 

- there is a learning curve, the more often you use it, the better. Commit to do all designs in Revit. the sooner your brain thinks in BIM, the better. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 18 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

I am trying to do this particular thing for a while. 

also tried 3 different Dxf and one dwf files. always files are not properly importing some of the error are

<<Import Instance has 29616 elements. Imports with more than 10,000 elements cannot be exploded.>>

<< Lines must be in closed loops. The highlighted lines are open on one end.>>

at time 59 seconds

@constantin.stroescu 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report