Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with tagging elements in groups

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jens.slofstra!
553 Views, 8 Replies

Trouble with tagging elements in groups

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble with the Tag All Command.

What I want to do is select a bunch of elements and tag those.

I works fine with the Tag Only Selected Items but the issue arises when elements are in groups.

When I select all my elements (single elements and elements in groups) and try to Tag Only Selected under the Tag All command, it will tag all single elements but not those in groups.

Does anyone have an idea what causes this and how to fix this.

I have been thinking of ungrouping the groups but that is not prefered.

Anyways thanks already,

Jens.Slofstra!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
L.Maas
in reply to: jens.slofstra!

The function behaves as expected. When you do, for example, a window selection. Then you select the elements (when not in a group) and the group, but then not elements inside the group. Because you are not selecting the elements but the group, your elements inside the group will not be tagged

What you can do, when not too many groups, is TAB selecting the individual elements within the group.

When there are too many groups you could use Dynamo to automate this process.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 9

I'm not sure what's happening at your end, but we're able to use Tag All to tag grouped elements. But, another approach might be to put the Tags into a Detail Group and attach them to Model Groups via Attach Detail Group.  

Message 4 of 9
jens.slofstra!
in reply to: L.Maas

Hi @L.Maas and @barthbradley,

I figured something out.

It has to do with the family I am trying to tag.

This family has a built in Rotation parameter so it can be horizontal or vertical without relying on workplanes.

The problem I think is that the Tag All function searches for the workplane of the family and tries to place a tag on that workplane. However because my family has the Rotation parameter the workplane of the family doesn't line up with the workplane of the elevation view. Because of this it can't place the tags so it doesn't.

I guess it will take a dynamo script or a custom addin to fix this.

If anyone has another idea on this topic please let me know.

Message 5 of 9

This was also one of the first ideas that came to mind. But unfortunately it is not possible to add tags to already existing model groups. You would need to ungroup > tag all elements > regroup with attached detail group. But since I don't have any other option this solution sounds more and more the way to go. Thanks 🙂
Message 6 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: jens.slofstra!

@jens.slofstra! wrote:
This was also one of the first ideas that came to mind. But unfortunately it is not possible to add tags to already existing model groups. You would need to ungroup > tag all elements > regroup with attached detail group. But since I don't have any other option this solution sounds more and more the way to go. Thanks 🙂

You can certainly tag elements in an existing model group, create an attached detail group from those tags, and attach the detail group to all other instances of the model group.  All without ungrouping.

Steps:

- tag elements of a group instance

ToanDN_0-1652135514555.png

- Edit Model Group > Attach

ToanDN_1-1652135631528.png

An attached detail group is generated automatically:

ToanDN_2-1652135678762.png

- Add: select the tags

ToanDN_3-1652135730722.png

- Finish twice

- Select all other group instances to attach detail group;

ToanDN_4-1652135849310.png

Message 7 of 9
jens.slofstra!
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks a bunch didn't know that!
Message 8 of 9

@jens.slofstra! wrote:
Thanks a bunch didn't know that!

HUH??? What do you mean you didn't know that?  That's exactly what I suggested in Message #3.  

Message 3.png

In fact, you confirmed it in Message #7 by saying: "this solution sounds more and more the way to go."  

Maybe it's short-term memory loss.  You ought to get that checked out by a doctor.  

Message 9 of 9

I was thinking you would need to regroup the elements to make an attached group. Didn't know it was an option in the modifybar of model groups.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report