Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparency of filled region Revit LT 2019

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
13855 Views, 15 Replies

Transparency of filled region Revit LT 2019

Why has Revit and LT 2019 done away with the transparency option on a filled region? I understand that it has been improved with foreground and background fill patterns but surely the opaque/transparency drop down should still be there? I have searched on here and there is a post regarding setting up a filter which I do not think is available in Revit LT? Any help would be appreciated. See photo of what I'm trying to produce (done on Revit LT 2018)  Transparency Filled Region.png

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Are  you saying that LT doesn't allow you to control Surface Transparency through element Graphic Overrides? 

GO.pngGO2.png

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

Thank you for your response which has worked. It is just a slightly different way of achieving the same result to what I did before in Revit LT 2018 and previous releases. 

Message 4 of 16
ToanDN

How did you do it in previous versions?

Message 5 of 16
loboarch

There was a slight change to the behavior here in 2019.  In previous releases there was a setting called "Background" in the type properties of the filled region. it was set to "Transparent" or "Opaque" depending on what you needed.

In 2019 the type property controlling this behavior was changed to "Masking" and it is a check box (on or off).  It was changed because it seemed weird to have 3 parameters with "Background" in the name and if left alone it might not be clear what the generic "Background" parameter would control, so it was changed to "Masking" with a check box.

Using this control on the type of filled region, you will be able to get the same effect as you did before.

2018-05-29_1530.png2018-05-29_1532.png

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

In previous versions, it was a drop down in the Type Properties dialogue box. See image. Thanks to a subsequent post it looks as though it is still there but under the guise of 'masking'

Transparency Filled Region 2018.png

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: loboarch

Thank you for your information regarding the masking parameter. I didn't think that Autodesk would have removed it from the software it just changed it's name! I now know two methods to obtain a transparency on a filled region. Every day is a school day!

Message 8 of 16
lwhitneyDCA

Thanks for the info

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Maybe I'm missing something, but when I try to set a filled region to be Gray Transparent, it just shows up blank in the view and won't print. When I highlight the model group that's behind it, it shows up gray. Any ideas?

Message 10 of 16
tgibbons1

I think folks are trying to mimic detail line behavior with filled regions (since FR's are easier to work with most often).  The above does not accomplish this as unchecking "masking" allows you to see what's below the region but it still masks in a color.    

Besides overriding graphics in view (which - as per the first response, will work) the other workaround (closer to a solution I'd argue) we've done here is to create a drafting pattern of parallel lines (at either 0 or 90 degrees) at the max distance away from one another (10 feet I believe it is).  If you do this the lines are spaced so far apart that the pattern mimics a fully transparent filled region - the same look as what you used to be able to accomplish in Revit 2017 and before.  

Let me know if anyone else has a better way.  

Thanks

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Thanks. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

I choose the colour and turn down the saturation and ensure the masking checkbox is unchecked to avoid overriding the graphics in view, but its still not a true trans. I've drawn three filled regions to show 3 different Alfresco options but they still mask each other 😕 Objects are still able to be seen and they are not masked. Overriding the graphics in view transparency setting turns it into a true trans.

Capture.JPG          Capture.JPG

Message 13 of 16
amichalakW4C3X

I'm having a similar issue. Solid color filled regions with the Masking parameter turned on and turned off don't replicate pre-2019 versions of Revit with Opaque/Transparent (but pattern filled regions work). 

Solid Gray, masking on.   

gray-masking_on.PNG

Solid Gray, masking off.

gray-masking_off.PNG

Concrete, masking on.

concrete-masking_on.PNG

Concrete, masking off.

concrete-masking_off.PNG

And bringing to front doesn't fix anything, either.

Message 14 of 16
ToanDN
in reply to: amichalakW4C3X

They work fine here.

Annotation 2019-12-04 112801.png

Message 15 of 16
amichalakW4C3X
in reply to: ToanDN

ToanDN, I'm guessing there's some combination of filters and VG settings that's making that view act weird because they're working fine in other views. Who knows; Revit does strange things.

Message 16 of 16
steveW29ZU

Mate 

That was great appreciate your message it is saving time and frustration  while learning something new 

Cheers From Australia

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators