Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "hidden" .DWG in Revit file

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
f.annoscia1XRNMD
2610 Views, 19 Replies

The "hidden" .DWG in Revit file

Good morning everyone!
In my Revit file I deleted all Autocad files, but in reality in the "visibility views" all Autocad layers also appear. How do you find "hidden" Autocad files?

Thank you :tulip:

Immagine 2021-08-18 190013.jpg

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Turn on Reveal Hidden Elements, Zoom to Fit, do a Crossing Window Selection of the entire View and check under  Filter to see what's selected.  See any CAD Elements?  Delete 'em.

...did you Explode CAD? That would be one explanation.  

...if you did explode CAD, you have other issues too. Look under your Line Styles (Manage Tab=>Additional Settings).  

Message 3 of 20
ToanDN
in reply to: f.annoscia1XRNMD

Those are the layers from CAD files imported in families (external and model in place).

Message 4 of 20

Thank you. I can't see any CAD elements unfortunately. I didn't explode the CAD file.
Message 5 of 20

@ToanDN hit the nail on the head.  

Message 6 of 20
f.annoscia1XRNMD
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you. Yes, I deleted the masses they contained .DWG and the linked files that contained the CAD file, yet I see these old layers .DWG, which should no longer be present in the .dwg anyway.
Message 7 of 20

Any Loadable Families with CAD in them? 

Message 8 of 20
RDAOU

@f.annoscia1XRNMD 

You will spend more time e trying to clean these up than the entire time which you spent modeling your project. You will need to go through all views and element/families (used or just loaded)...and you wo t be able to get rid of ALL of them for sure

Simply leave them be and on the next project manage your dwg layers better

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 9 of 20
f.annoscia1XRNMD
in reply to: RDAOU

Thank you. I was trying to clean up the project, because the views give me problems (they don't see them correctly). I made a post a few weeks ago about this problem and so I was trying to correct the errors.
Message 10 of 20

I deleted the masses present, because they originally contained a CAD file, although not visible (I entered a DWG visibility parameter for it).
The file with the base, Revit link, which is located in the main file, contained a CAD file, in generic models. I don't remember other links .DWG.
Message 11 of 20
RDAOU

@f.annoscia1XRNMD 

Start by switching ✔ them OFF...

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 12 of 20
f.annoscia1XRNMD
in reply to: RDAOU

Do you mean to turn them off in individual views?
Message 13 of 20
RDAOU

@f.annoscia1XRNMD 

If you are not certain in which views they are ... that would be a yes, at least in the views which are giving you graphics issues

You can try purge if they are in families which you have deleted OR If they were links you can check under Manage links and remove what is there if you do not need

Otherwise your only option is to fish them out view by view and family by family (no other way or tool to clean them up)

RDAOU_0-1629311597805.png

Message 14 of 20
ToanDN

@f.annoscia1XRNMD wrote:
Thank you. Yes, I deleted the masses they contained .DWG and the linked files that contained the CAD file, yet I see these old layers .DWG, which should no longer be present in the .dwg anyway.

Have your tried Purge Unused > Families > expand any entries with .dwg > and check the layers?

Message 15 of 20

@RDAOU @ToanDN I did, but I didn't find .dwg.

Unfortunately I can't find any .dwg.

Yet in the linked source Revit file I see only two layers correctly. In fact, in the .DWGs I cleaned everything up, leaving only two lines, to see what happened!

Immagine 2021-08-18 202950.jpg

Ps.
Little good news. If I copy only one of the buildings in the project, the largest and tallest, into a new Revit clean file, I see the views correctly...

Ps.

@barthbradley @ToanDN @RDAOU you are very kind to help me! I really appreciate it!

Message 16 of 20

Typically if you have views with some of those CAD turned off, Revit will not delete those CAD layers. You can manually delete them by going to object style>Imported Objects>Delete.

object style.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 17 of 20

@syman2000actually Revit deleted them. I no longer see them in the visibility of the views. Thank you! ❤️

However, I keep seeing the bad views... it will be another problem, not the links, maybe...

Message 18 of 20

Also check with the view template because it will saved those information. When you delete it, those view template will recreate them. So do delete them when you are in view template.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 19 of 20
ToanDN

@f.annoscia1XRNMD wrote:

@syman2000actually Revit deleted them. I no longer see them in the visibility of the views. Thank you! ❤️

However, I keep seeing the bad views... it will be another problem, not the links, maybe...

What are bad views?

Message 20 of 20
f.annoscia1XRNMD
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDNall views are incorrect.

The view I'm working on is called Vista 3D 7 - Copia 2 - 3.

Do you visualize the views well?

In the last few days I have tried to erase all the buildings from the project and also the floor and topography, leaving a single building (the largest). The views are seen correctly. I do not know if having a larger RAM (I have a RAM of 16 GB) could serve. Maybe there are too many windows in my projects.

This is the post

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/railings-in-quot-wireframe-quot-style/td-p/1...

Now I will try to export to Autocad one building at a time in the view and then I will compose the final view with the various layers ...). Or I could leave only the outer walls of the buildings in the views, erasing everything else, so I would lighten the file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report