Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The coordinates of the points in the point cloud ....

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Simon_Weel
10789 Views, 8 Replies

The coordinates of the points in the point cloud ....

When I attach a point cloud in Revit (2017), this message appears: The coordinates of the points in the point cloud file(s) you are trying to import are larger than 30000. When I perform a search for this message, nothing's found. Would be handy to know how to fix this. So my first attempt was to retrieve the origin of the point cloud. So I opened it in ReCap and there's a grid showing the origin. But there are no numbers. I.e. I can't get the coordinates of the origin. Next thing is loading the point cloud in AutoCAD. AutoCAD doesn't show a grid nor origin. So I just picked a point and noted it's coordinates. Then in Revit, I changed the coordinates for both Base and Survey point to reflect those I had looked up in AutoCAD. Next step is again linking the point cloud in the Revit project, using 'Auto - Origin to Origin'. Same message appears and the point cloud is nowhere to be seen. I ran out of ideas?

Simon

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Viveka_CD
in reply to: Simon_Weel

Hi @Simon_Weel

Did you check for the point cloud in the 3D view (zoom extents ZA)?

Does the model appear loaded in your status column in your manage links?

This issue happens due to minor scaling issues from the origin. Modifying  the scale value is suggested if units of the source data have not been correctly determined during import of the point cloud file.

1. When inserting a point cloud, Revit uses a scale factor, corresponding to International Feet, of 3.280840. The scale factor is truncated to 6 decimal places.
  2. Changing the scale factor to 3.280833 (corresponding to US Survey Feet), the point cloud coordinates are short because the decimal places are truncated to 6 decimals. This means a survey coordinate of 1,700,000 feet now appears 2 inches smaller inside Revit.
  3. Point Cloud > Properties Palette > Edit Type > Scale.
  4. See the screencast HERE

Let us know if you were able to resolve the issue.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.

Message 3 of 9
Simon_Weel
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Viveka_CD wrote:

When inserting a point cloud, Revit uses a scale factor, corresponding to International Feet, of 3.280840.

Ah, that explains the scale factor. I wondered where that came from. Anyway, the point cloud is visible, although tiny - I thought it was a speck on the screen 🙂

But now for the real problem - does this message need resolving, or is it just a message?

Simon

Message 4 of 9
Viveka_CD

Hi @Simon_Weel

Glad to hear that your point cloud is finally visible Smiley Happy

• Did you try modifying the scale factor?
  • Can you try importing/saving the point cloud in a separate new project, move it to an origin position and then linking it back to your original project?
  • Another workaround is to draw model lines around the building in your point cloud and then save it as part of your Revit model. Using these reference lines you can align/move the point cloud to match the revit model.
  • Please see HERE on using a point cloud file in a project, how to control visibility and managing links.
  • Check HERE for a similar discussion on the laser scanning forums.

If you can share a file (on the forum or through a private link) I can troubleshoot further. Let me know. 

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.

Regards,

Message 5 of 9
Viveka_CD

Hi @Simon_Weel

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?

I've tested a point cloud in AutoCAD and was able to acquire the coordinates and imported back to Revit using origin to origin.

As mentioned before, if you can send us your model, we will be happy to test it for you. You can send the file through a box drive or post it here.Let us know if you have privacy issues with regard to sending your file.

Please mark any posts that help with "Accept as Solution" and thanks!

Message 6 of 9
Simon_Weel

What I did is what you suggested. I linked the point cloud in a new project, using "Auto - Origin to Origin". This places the point cloud about 400 km away from the project base point. Saved this project and linked it into the project used for modelling. Then moved this link to somewhere around the Project Base Point and aligned it with the model. This seems to work - more or less. Weird things happen though. It seems like the Point cloud has a mind of it's own, moving around without user intervention. I'm trying to figure out what's going on....

Simon

Message 7 of 9
Viveka_CD

Hi @Simon_Weel

Good to know that you were able to align the point cloud with your model.

Can you elaborate on the weird things, do you get error messages or these are graphic glitches or the file is missing elements?

Looking forward to your reply update.

Regards,

Message 8 of 9
Simon_Weel

With the point cloud linked in a galaxy far, far away, it disappears from time to time. It's linked, but just not visible all the time. There's a message about weird graphic behavior when linking, so I guess this is one of those things.

I decided to try a different way. Modify the Revit Base Point to reflect the coordinates of the point cloud. After some digging, I managed to get those coordinates. At least, that's what I thought. A ReCap .rcp file is a ZIPfile containing a couple of bitmaps and an xml file. That xml file holds, among other things, the position of all .rcp files in the ReCap project. And it contains the camera location coordinates. There's a tag called <AutoCamCamera> and <AutoCamHomeCamera> of which I thought displayed the center coordinates of the 20x20 grid that's visible in ReCap. In this case, they actually did, but in a different point cloud they did not. Bummer.

So while the problem is solved for this project, I still wonder how to get the center coordinates of the grid displayed in ReCap as they define the insertion point of the point cloud in Revit.

Simon

Message 9 of 9
Viveka_CD

Hi @Simon_Weel

You can post to the recap forum for specific questions.

If you find posts have solved your problem, please click on 'Accept as solution' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators