Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

subcategory change when cut

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
martijn_pater
1862 Views, 12 Replies

subcategory change when cut

Ran into a bug where if you ie. create a generic model and assign a subcategory to a solid. You can control this object with subcategory settings, but once you cut another object with this the geometry seems to jump to main generic model subcategory... while when editing the solid itself remains in the assigned subcategory. Seems like a problem that will occur a lot more often.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

It's not a bug. 

Joined elements share the same line weight and fill pattern. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/EN...

….this was one of my biggest frustrations went I first started with Revit. I too was convinced it was a bug. I even opened a support case on it.  

Message 3 of 13
ToanDN
in reply to: martijn_pater

A workaround is create them as separate shared family, nest them in another family and join.

Annotation 2019-09-30 090126.png

Message 4 of 13
martijn_pater
in reply to: ToanDN

I'm not sure I've explained this correctly, perhaps I should add some images later. I wasn't talking about joining objects in nested families, but about cutting a mass component with a solid. Where this solid then seems to change subcategory to the main category (generic model in this case). It is definately buggy/unwanted behavior. I'm familiar with joining matching materials etc., but it also doesn't (and shouldn't) match the cut mass' subcategory or any other then the assigned subcategory for that matter. This should also be considered a bug with joining probably anyway. The whole point of subcategories is to have control over different objects in views I would think.

ps. it does seems to keep the original subcategory in 3D views though.

Message 5 of 13
convect

I have encountered the same bug, when Cut command is used. In this case subcategory remain turned on in plan view.

Only solution I have found so far is to add annotation lines to the family and put them on subcategory with "2D"  suffix. Later in project I just turn off solid subcategory on plan view after Cut and only 2D remain, keeping the view clean

Message 6 of 13

@martijn_pater wrote:

I'm not sure I've explained this correctly, perhaps I should add some images later.

Post some pictures later, @martijn_pater. We'll figure it out.  Promise.  

Message 7 of 13

I've tried to reproduce the issue (rvt2020) in a test file, this time however it didn't present itself in floorplan (seems to work here) however it did in section. See attached image. Not sure what's the difference with my plan view /settings earlier, but the behavior was the same there as it was in section now. Same thing with rvt2019, also same issue when cutting curtain wall panels/mullions. The solid seems to obtain the same category as it's (first) cut object ?!? Definately should be considered a bug.

Message 8 of 13

@barthbradley @ToanDN If someone could explain this functionality or the use for this to me, I might be able to accept it as not being a bug... ? As it is it makes no sense to me, because if I would cut a wall with a steel beam, the beam does not turn into brickwork usually (not to be taken literally in Revit terms)... but maybe someone can clarify that. Also that it would function like this in 3d but not in section views baffles me.

Message 9 of 13

@barthbradley @ToanDN @convect Some further investigation as to what happens with cutting;
So before you make the cut, the Generic model follows object style settings for its assigned subcategory. As does the mass which we are cutting.

After the cut is made, the Generic model still shows the projection lines accoring to its subcategory. However follows the mass' MAIN category for cut lines. The mass still shows the projection lines according to its subcategory, but now applies cutlines according to Generic model MAIN category. Because the projection lines stay with their Original subcategory it shows correct in 3D views. When uncut the objects show according to their original subcategory settings again.

Objects which are cut don't nescessarily 'share a common face' as with joining, not sure why join behavior would apply to a cut if this could be considered join behavior at all. It seems to be the same behavior when joining, which also makes no sense tbh.

Message 10 of 13

*bump*

Message 11 of 13
ToanDN

Shouldn't you use a void to cut a solid?
Message 12 of 13
martijn_pater
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN@barthbradley ah right yes, in general probably. I initially came across this because I used a workaround where you can use a solid to cut mullions/panels in a curtain wall I think or maybe it was a similar solution to cut mass pattern components as solution for the 2" offset bug... I do know about joining behavior, but the subcategory change just didn't make any sense in that situation.  Seeing as this was a workaround to begin with I think it might not happen as often, contrary to what I suggested in my first post on the subject.

Message 13 of 13
hsRASX8

This must be a bug. I get a similar behaviour in Revit 2021.1.1. When I cut a Mass with a Mass (both of the same subcategory), both of the objects looses their subcategory look in section and plan. Also, hiding the subcategory no longer have an effect in plan or section. In 3D, however, everyting works as excpected, both grapic overrides and hiding of subcategories. It cannot be that joining or cutting Masses of a certain subcategory reverts them back to the parent Mass Category, with less control on visibility and graphics.

Is it sufficient to report this bug to this forum, or will Autodesk not spot it here?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators