Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stretching the Viewport in a Sheet

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
george1985
4405 Views, 14 Replies

Stretching the Viewport in a Sheet

Hello,

I am a Revit begineer, and have a question:

I put a Viewport in my Sheet. The Viewport has been taken from the Level 1 showing the house and small auxiliary house on the right. What I would like to do is to remove this small house from my Sheet (shown with a red cross on the photo below):
sheet2.png

I though that can do it, by just stretching the Viewport's border. But no, this is not possible in Revit.

It seems that in order to remove the small house, I have go into the Level 1, (or "Activate view" from the Sheet directly), then activate the "Show crop region" and "Crop view" functions and then crop the small house. Is this really the only way it can be done in Revit?
This means that I need to actually modify the way my Level 1 looks like, in order for the change to be applied in the Sheet. There is no way to just apply this change in the Sheet only (by moving the edges of the Viewport for example) and let the Level 1 floor plan remain as it is?

Is this correct?

Thank you for the reply.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: george1985

- Right click on the view on sheet and Activate

- Tick Crop View and Crop region visible boxes  from properties and you can stretch the boundary of the view crop region.

Message 3 of 15
george1985
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi ToanDN,

I do not see the difference between going to the Level 1 and activating "Show crop region" and "Crop view",

and right-clicking on the Viewport in the Sheet, activating it, and then checking the same boxes in its Properties.
Both approaches crop the very Level 1 floor plan:

sheet3.png

Why it is not possible to just stretch the edges of the Viewport in the Sheet, in order to remove the small house?

Why do I have to change my Level 1 floor plan to achieve this???

Message 4 of 15
ToanDN

@george1985 wrote:

Hi ToanDN,

I do not see the difference between going to the Level 1 and activating "Show crop region" and "Crop view",

and right-clicking on the Viewport in the Sheet, activating it, and then checking the same boxes in its Properties.
Both approaches crop the very Level 1 floor plan:

There are no differences because it is the same view, just being accessed directly on sheet versus via the browser.

sheet3.png

Why it is not possible to just stretch the edges of the Viewport in the Sheet, in order to remove the small house?

Because it is not AutoCAD.  A viewport in Revit is not necessary equal the View crop region.  A view consists View crop region and Annotation crop region.  The view crop region defines the extent of the model, the Annotation crop region defines the extent of annotation so that you can annotate outside of the model extent.  The viewport boundary you see when you select a view on sheet, however, is the extent of anything (models and annotation) visible within the view.  So it may or may not the same as the two described above.

Why do I have to change my Level 1 floor plan to achieve this???

Because the view is Level 1 floor plan view.  You can have more than one view for any level, cropped differently, some aren't cropped at all.  For projects covering a large site, it is very common.

Message 5 of 15
george1985

Hi ToanDN,

Thank you once again.

I am still puzzled with your explanation:
    "Because the view is Level 1 floor plan view. You can have more than one view for any level, cropped differently, some aren't cropped at all. For projects covering a large site, it is very common."

So if would like to remove my small house on the right from the Sheet, and not from the Level 1 floor plan view, I have to duplicate my Level 1 floor plan, and then on that duplicated one crop the house.

If Revit would be capable of just dragging the boundary of the Viewport in the Sheet, this would be a bad solution?

Why is that so?

It works perfectly for AutoCAD and other BIM applications:
sheet4.png
Am I, as a Revit beginner not seeing why is this a bad solution?

Message 6 of 15
ToanDN

@george1985 wrote:

Hi ToanDN,

Thank you once again.

I am still puzzled with your explanation:
    "Because the view is Level 1 floor plan view. You can have more than one view for any level, cropped differently, some aren't cropped at all. For projects covering a large site, it is very common."

So if would like to remove my small house on the right from the Sheet, and not from the Level 1 floor plan view, I have to duplicate my Level 1 floor plan, and then on that duplicated one crop the house.

If Revit would be capable of just dragging the boundary of the Viewport in the Sheet, this would be a bad solution?

Why is that so?

It works perfectly for AutoCAD and other BIM applications:

Am I, as a Revit beginner not seeing why is this a bad solution?

I think you need to stop thinking like you are working in AutoCAD and expecting everything is working like in AutoCAD.  They are different programs altogether, thus have different ways approaching the same goal.

To address the cropping questions:  if you have a large site and you only need to show a small part on a sheet then yes you do need to duplicate the view (if you want to keep the original view whole), crop it and place it on sheet.  Repeat if you want to show other small parts on sheets as well.  The reason is that every model view in Revit can only be placed on a Sheet once.  You just can't place a whole view on one sheet and place the same view on another sheet and change the viewport sizes like in AutoCAD.

You can also have a non-cropped plan view, then duplicate as dependent views as many as you want, then crop each dependent view differently.  Do a search for Dependent views to read more on it.

Message 7 of 15
george1985

Thank you once again @ToanDN ,

This is basically the key:

"The reason is that every model view in Revit can only be placed on a Sheet once.  You just can't place a whole view on one sheet and place the same view on another sheet and change the viewport sizes like in AutoCAD."

I am still not sure why that would be bad.

Thank you once again for the help and replies.

Message 8 of 15
Sahay_R

@george1985 - let's explain Revit in this way -

You have a house.

You can take multiple pictures of the house - some may even be duplicates, and then put them into an album.

But after all the dozens of pictures, it's still ONE house - you have not copied the house itself.

Hope this explains this fundamental difference between Revit and AutoCAD.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 9 of 15
george1985
in reply to: Sahay_R

Hi Sahay_R,

Thank you for the reply.
I am not sure I understand the logic behind it though.

My initial question was: why do I need to duplicate the view in order to put two of its versions on a single sheet.

ToanDN sort of cleared it by informing me of Revit's  inability to to place a viewport from the same view more than once on a single sheet.
From this, my last question was: why doesn't Revit allow placing the viewport from the the same view two times on a single sheet?

Although ToanDN mentioned that it may be because Revit is not AutoCAD, this still does not answer the question.

It is more an excuse. For example, ArchiCAD is not AutoCAD, but a BIM software like Revit. Nevertheless it has this feature for the last at least 15 years.

So I am not looking for an explanation what is the difference between Revit and AutoCAD.

Message 10 of 15
ToanDN

@george1985 wrote:

From this, my last question was: why doesn't Revit allow placing the viewport from the the same view two times on a single sheet?

That's a question only the original developer can answer correctly. 

From the user point of view, it could be that a view need an unique ID for referencing (think call-out).  The fact that Legend is the only type of view that can placed on more than one sheets, and they cannot be referenced, somewhat supports this argument.

Think of AutoCAD viewports on the paper space as portals poking through the paper to see the model, where as Revit views on sheet are snapshot photos pasted on the paper.

Message 11 of 15
georgehobel

George... everybody is new to Revit at least once...  some of us are new more often than others.  ToanDN said it clearly with regard duplicate views and references.. When I came over from AutoCAD I had the same questions you are having.  Today, I see a huge benefit in the way Revit organizes things.  The more you use it, the more time you will learn to save.  This feature requiring duplicate views in order to place drawings on your sheet is huge towards keeping things organized and easy to follow.

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Residential Building and Design
Message 12 of 15
barthbradley

@george1985 wrote:

why do I need to duplicate the view in order to put two of its versions on a single sheet.

why doesn't Revit allow placing the viewport from the the same view two times on a single sheet?

If you really think about it, it's six of one; half dozen of another.   

In AutoCAD we create Views in Paper/Layout Space, and in Revit, we create Views to place on Sheets.  In AutoCAD, if we want two of the same view on the Sheet (e.g. Paper/Layout Space), we copy the Viewport. In Revit, if we want two of the same view on the Sheet, we copy the View.  Now, let me ask you something: Why duplicate the Viewport or View at all?  Likely, it is because you want to show different construction information.  So, they aren't really two of the same at all.  That would be silly.   So, after we duplicate the Viewport in AutoCAD, we next have to set it up to display the information we want.  Well, in Revit, we do basically the same thing. We setup a duplicate View to display the information we want.  Not really that much different.  Six of one; half dozen of another.  

Welcome to Revit and the Forum.  

Message 13 of 15
georgehobel
in reply to: barthbradley

In pencil...we would have to redraw the view completely....

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Residential Building and Design
Message 14 of 15
barthbradley
in reply to: georgehobel

I used "sticky-backs" mostly.  Do you know what I'm talking about?  

Message 15 of 15
george1985
in reply to: barthbradley

Thank you for the help and replies everyone.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators