Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Voids not cutting

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Ian_H
336 Views, 6 Replies

Some Voids not cutting

I have a Generic Type Elevator Family and the bottom void cuts through the wall, but all the voids above it do not. I've tried cutting and joining and I've made sure that 'cuts when loaded' is selected but those didn't change anything. 

You can see in the images the voids in the family (on the left) and how it only cuts the bottom wall (on the right)

What am I missing when using this family?

Thanks

elevator opening question.jpgelevator opening question-model.jpg

Labels (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Ian_H

I suggest that you contact the person who made that family, if possible. There are different ways to do elevator families. That person took this approach of cutting walls in different floors. But you could have your own walls and doors already set, and the elevator family only needs to provide what goes inside the shaft.  But if this family has a a different approach and that doesn't work, you need to contact the author, or modify the family by yourself or look for another family, because this is a custom usage, not a general Revit issue.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7
ToanDN

Share the family here.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
Ian_H

Here is the family file

This is a file I found and was editing to fit our elevator need. I tried using the manuf. model but it wasn't working for us. This one this parametric and is working nicely, it's just not cutting through the walls. 
I did have the idea of having the door openings be separate, but it would be nice if it could all be kept in a single file. 

Message 5 of 7
Ian_H

So I have figured out why it's happening, but not a solution yet.

When creating a new instance for the other elevator I was on the 3rd level. I went to my 3d view and noticed the door openings were there. So the issue it seems is that the concrete wall below is separate from the framed wall above. 
I tried joining the walls, but that didn't do anything. 
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ian_H_0-1709744869406.png

Message 6 of 7
ToanDN

The way your family work is that it only cut one host.  Here are two ways how to fix it:

1.  Model one wall spanning multiple levels.

2.  If you need a wall on each level: 

- Do not cut the host wall in the family with any voids

- Use Cut geometry in the project to cut multiple walls with the family.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
Ian_H
in reply to: ToanDN

I solved a 3rd way, I remembered an old trick of using copy/monitor to remove hosting.

So I: 

Changed the family to a mechanical family

Brought it into an empty project

Linked that file into another empty project

Copy/monitored and removed monitoring

Edited that family and resaved it

I brought that into my model and it cut all the openings

I edited it again and switched it back to a generic family. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators