Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selection based filter always grayed out

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
pieter4
4116 Views, 3 Replies

Selection based filter always grayed out

When I create a new filter, the options for a selection based filter seem to always be grayed out (see screenshot). I know I can first create a saved selection and then used that but I prefer to just selection some stuff and add a filter that way.

I googled around and searched the forum but no results. Anyone any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ToanDN
in reply to: pieter4

Edit:  didn't read carefully.  You already knew it.

----

- Select some elements

- Go to Modify pull-down menu and Save a Selection set

- Now it will be available under Selection Filters

Capture.PNG

Message 3 of 4
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

If I’m getting the gist of your question, you want to create a selection-based filter (e.g. elements) and then, later on, be able to add a rule-based filter (e.g. category) to that selection-based filter. In other words, you don’t want to add/remove elements to/from the selection-based filter set the way the tool works.

No can do, Pieter...kind of...

The workaround is to create a rule-based category selection method, and then put in some filter rules to include or exclude certain elements based on parameters (i.e. include all walls that have the same “Function” like the OOTB “Interior”).

Other than that, these are two different functioning tools; kind of like hiding in view by element or by category. But, I suspect you already knew that, and were just looking for confirmation.  

P.S. Betcha an App or Dynamo could do this. mmm...I wonder? 

Message 4 of 4
pieter4
in reply to: barthbradley

Thank you both for taking the time to answer this.

Actually, what I really wanted to to is created a selection based filter by just selecting some stuff, right click, override by filter, create new filter based on selection. 

But when I try this the options for selection based filters are grayed out.

Seems like the only way of creating selection based filters is saving a selection set first. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report