Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling Double Doors

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jamie.rodgersCBSRK
1864 Views, 11 Replies

Scheduling Double Doors

I know this has been addressed before.  I am trying to schedule double doors as a pair.  I have a yes/no parameter for PAIR.  I need the formula for the door width to say IF PAIR = YES, THEN WIDTH = WIDTH/2.  Does anybody know the correct formula for this?  I've tried multiple things.  There is still the extra step of having to say if your door is a pair or not.  Has anybody figured out a better way of doing this?  

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: jamie.rodgersCBSRK

If (PAIR, Width/2, Width)

Message 3 of 12
jamie.rodgersCBSRK
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks, I have tried several formulas similar to this and I keep getting error messages like this.  I believe I have all the parameters upper/lower cased correctly, spelled correctly.  

jamierodgersCBSRK_0-1644719464858.png

Message 4 of 12

Sorry, I see I forgot the comma, am now getting this error

jamierodgersCBSRK_0-1644719743529.png

Message 5 of 12
ToanDN

Why do you create formula in the family? Do it in a schedule.

Add a calculated value parameter to the schedule and use the formula I gave. Hide the original Width parameter from the schedule.

Message 6 of 12

I think architects sometime labor ourselves a little too much. If it s already shown on plan as double door then the width is the pair width, why bother w/2 ?

Message 7 of 12
RDAOU

@jamie.rodgersCBSRK 

If you want to keep it in the family add a new shared parameter call it "Panel Width" then input that formula for the new parameter which you can then schedule

Door schedule 2.gif

Otherwise, if you want to do it in the project directly in the schedule add as a Calculated Formula and add PAIR as a project parameter

Door schedule 1a.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 8 of 12
jamie.rodgersCBSRK
in reply to: RDAOU

Thanks for the info. I had already made the Pair parameter and the Panel Width. I like the idea of putting it in the schedule. Both solutions still add extra columns to the schedule which is what the architects can't wrap their heads around.
Message 9 of 12
ToanDN

Hide the Width column and only show Panel Width or the calculated value parameter column on the schedule.  To hide, right click a column or multiple column and hide, or go to Format tab and choose fields to Hide.

Message 10 of 12
jamie.rodgersCBSRK

Another good idea, thanks!

Message 11 of 12
lucdoucet_msdl

@jamie.rodgersCBSRK 

In formatting your door schedule and door families, you should also consider the possibility that double doors come in unequal door leaf widths. I would therefore recommend you not use a strict formula of panel width = half door opening when the double door yes/no parameter is enabled.

Here's my suggestion:

1. The main door schedule shows (among the other dimensions and information) the frame opening width and the active door leaf width. In the case of a double door and to avoid overcrowding the schedule on the drawing sheet, the second leaf can be calculated by the contractor as the difference between the door frame opening width and the active door leaf.

2. All door families have a yes/no type parameter to identify if it is a "double door" an instance length parameter for the "frame width".

3. All double door families have a "active leaf width" instance length parameter and an "equal leaf" yes/no instance parameter.

4. The main door schedule does all the calculations to show one value in a column called "Active leaf width" with the nested if formulas:  (IF "double door", (IF "equal leaf", "frame width"/2, "active leaf width") , "frame width")

5. Have a second copy of the door schedule with additional columns for quality control enabling the person reviewing the door parameters to change any instance parameters that are erroneous. Some instance parameters can be substituted for type parameters according to you modelling standards.

So with two basic door families, one for single leaf and one for double leaf, you could treat 99% of standard layout doors.

Hope you find this helpful,

-luc

Message 12 of 12

Thank you, very helpful.  I knew that this wouldn't work for unequal size panels.  Will be taking this all into consideration when overhauling door scheduling and families.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report