Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVT2018: Can't open/link IFC files.(Failed to open)

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
5933 Views, 14 Replies

RVT2018: Can't open/link IFC files.(Failed to open)

Hi,

I recently installed Revit 2018.

Now I can't Link IFC or even open them to make .RVTs of them.

It says Failed to Open document.

In the IFC.log file it says this.

"Warnings and Errors

General ERROR: Can't open template file(s) C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2018\Templates\Sweden\Structural Analysis-DefaultSWEENU.rte to create link document, aborting import."

The templates file are there.

After installation i only have the Structure template as standard. MEP and Arch. is gone.

Skärmklipp.PNG

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
markcalloway
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

What application did the IFC come from and what type of IFC is it?

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find this post helpful, please LIKE.
If you have solved you issue please mark as ACCEPTED SOLUTION so other forum users can see how to fix this issue.

Follow me on Twitter / Follow me on Linkedin / Blog
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: markcalloway

@markcalloway

Hi Mark,

The IFCs are from AutoCAD. I got about 11 different IFCs from different people in this project. I can't open any of them, after installing RVT2018.
Most of the IFCs contain data from other apps like MagiCAD (Pipes and Ventilation, Electric). But I can't link/open earlier versions of the same files either.

I'm also missing template files. Which is strange, since I'm almost 100% sure I installed a full copy for Revit (Arch, MEP, Struction).

Message 4 of 15
markcalloway

Hi @Anonymous

If your templates are missing in Revit they can easily be added back, I recorded a short screencast not so long back showing how to do this:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/screencast/Main/Details/59230b0d-4b78-4602-9dab-605d4dfdbede.html

________________________________________________________________________________
If you have solved you issue please mark as ACCEPTED SOLUTION so other forum users can see how to fix this issue.

Message 5 of 15
markcalloway

Are you allowed to upload any of these IFCs for us to look at?

I'm assuming you are importing them as per these instructions:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/EN...

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

@markcalloway

Thanks, I'll check that out. 🙂

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

@markcalloway

The File is about 120Mb. It was the smallest one I had.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fu4m3omhvnqvfu/File_IFC.ifc?dl=0

I've tried both Link IFC into my project, and Open IFC. Same problem.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Update:

I opened the Revit Setupfile to see if i missed something. All was installed.

Also, I could open the IFC files on my colleges computer with Revit 2017.1.

Message 9 of 15
markcalloway

Hi @Anonymous

The IFC was slow to open as expected but it opened fine on my copy of Revit 2018.

All I did was go to file, expanded open, open IFC.

I selected the IFC file and went with the default options.

See screenshot attached.

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

SOLVED.

@markcalloway

So, Revit wanted to use the Structural template, as show in the screenshot above.

I thought there might be a way to change the template Revit uses to Create IFC files, and i found that in IFC Options.

Template.PNG

Message 11 of 15
markcalloway

Sounds like it might be an issue with your Revit 2018.

You could look at reinstalling Revit or just use another computer to convert the IFC to RVT files if you only have 10 to do?

If you have Revit 2017 installed on your computer you could test that, or install revit 2017 and see if its only 2018 that has this issue on your computer?

Message 12 of 15
markcalloway

Ah so simple, glad you have found the issue.

Don't forget to mark your answer as the solution so other people having the same issue can easily see how you resolved it 🙂

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

@markcalloway

Hehe.

Yeah, really simple issue this time.

Thanks for the help.

//Filip

Message 14 of 15
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved. However, I wanted to share the following information with you, hope you find this helpful!

Can you confirm if you have the IFC 2018 installed on your machine? See HERE

When working with IFC files in Revit, the first step should be installing the latest version of the plugin which can be downloaded here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ifcexporter/ or through the Autodesk AppStore http://apps.autodesk.com

Before linking an IFC file, click Open (IFC Options) and use the Import IFC Options dialog to do the following:

• Select a template to use for IFC files.
  • Download a IFC template HERE (Look under Revit instructions and samples) - IFC to get metric templates
  • Load an IFC class mapping file or manually assign Revit categories to IFC classes and types.
  • Make sure the IFC file contains the geometric data needed for the Revit capability that you plan to use. For more information, see About Imported Geometry.
  • Click HERE for more information
  • Open (IFC ) The Open Dialog offers some options which can help handle IFC Files in Revit: 

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question to help others seeking similar solutions. Kudos gladly accepted.

Regards,

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Hi @Viveka_CD

I do have IFC 2018 installed.

However, I've always opened up IFC Files without choosing a template. This time, there were no default template loaded in the IFC Options menu.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators