Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explode import 3d geometry file into free form element

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
sebastian.walicki
6307 Views, 14 Replies

Explode import 3d geometry file into free form element

Hello

I've got a question about exploding import cad geometry in Revit Families:

from what it's depend when You explode Import Instance some of it geomatries turned into Free Form Elements and some disapears ?
(there is a Warning : "Import contained 3D data or points which can't be exploded. Only 2D data was exploded." but as You can see some 3d geometries looks good )?
Can I somehow control it ? 

How I can do it that all geometries will be free form elements?

Cheers and thanks fot the answers

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: sebastian.walicki

You can control it by breaking it into different parts (files) in CAD prior to import and only explode what not disappear. But the best thing is not exploding it.
Message 3 of 15
Sahay_R
in reply to: ToanDN

I would take this a little further. Break up your CAD into component CAD files per @ToanDN. Instead of Importing+Exploding, Link them into Revit. So much better for the health of the model.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 4 of 15
sebastian.walicki
in reply to: Sahay_R

Thank U for the answers ToanDN and rsahayUZMK9

Unfortunately this doesn't work as I tried
Elements that have complex geometry after explode Revit still are deleted 😕
why am I so stubborn You think ?
Free Form Elements can be linked to a material parameter and even I can give them a subcategory, and I would like to have several types with different materials in one family

PS rsahayUZMK9 I can't link cads in a familiy ...only cad imports works 

Message 5 of 15

Hi @sebastian.walicki

I see that you are trying to explode imported geometry.

A few questions for you:

• Did you download this model as a 3d dwg?
  • Can you try a different chair model?
  • What is the error message that you get? Can you send us a screenshot of this error?
  • If you get an error that says - 'lines overlap-cannot find closed loops' - query the layer of that line in AutoCAD and recreate before importing in Revit and trying to explode.

You can try this location HERE and HERE to download 3D chair models** for your use.

Below is the same model in 3D DWG (explode fails due to overlapping lines) and parametric in Revit (you can edit the whole chair assembly in parts)chair.JPG

You are welcome to share the file so that we can test it further. I can share a private folder with you if you'd like. Let us know.

**I have provided a link to a download link that MIGHT provide the extra functionality for which you are looking. Please note, however, this is not an Autodesk product or endorsement. You should take all precautions whenever you elect to download/install/utilize any application and do so at your own risk. Please review the developer’s documentation and disclaimers before proceeding to utilize their product(s).

Please mark posts as "Accept as Solution" if it helped resolve your issue. Kudos gladly accepted.

Regards,

Message 6 of 15
Sahay_R
in reply to: sebastian.walicki

I should have clarified - Link CAD only works in families, not projects, and that is the expected behavior.

Please take a look at project 1. A DWG has been linked, and then the same DWG has been broken up into three parts which have been linked to the project and now act as three different objects. No exploding required.

Then look at project 2. The first DWG has been inserted and exploded - and all three objects still act as one. I could only apply one material. I broke the DWG up into three and imported each block separately - in this case, in separate families and brought them into Project 2 with different material parameters. No exploding required.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 7 of 15
Viveka_CD

That's an awesome idea @Sahay_R 

It will be great if you can make a screencast for the same, this will benefit many users seeking similar solutions!

Regards,

Message 8 of 15
ToanDN

@Sahay_R wrote:

I should have clarified - Link CAD only works in families, not projects, and that is the expected behavior.

It is the opposite.

Message 9 of 15
Sahay_R
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN - not enough coffee today. Sheesh.....

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 10 of 15
Viveka_CD

OK guys @Sahay_R and @ToanDN, kudos for pointing that out

Posting this for the benefit of others:

When you link an AutoCAD file to a project, what you can do is the following:

Regards,

Message 11 of 15
sebastian.walicki

Thanks for Your time but unfortunetly You can't change material in Imports cad with parameter ( the material parameter You has added seems to be empty and has no impact of the generic family ...only option to change material in imports cad in Object Styles for the imported categories....but still there is no option to add "material parameter" to import cads ) and this one it's what is important to me for now and that why I like those Free Form Elements so much ( see the png : Free form elements properties )...and still my worries are why some elements from imoprt cads change into free form elements and some don't after expolde

Message 12 of 15

Thanks For Your time 

this jpg You add seems to be excatly what I need to do...but as I can see You have shown 2 families : with cad geometry and a revit family

I used the chairs You send and still have the same problem : " Import contained 3D data or points which can't be exploded. Only 2D data was exploded." and all geometry disapears

I've added a file which I've downloaded from bim objects where someone has created a specific free form elements from imports ..when I am trying to do this in the same file everyhing disapears. and I just don't understand why this happens ? 

Message 13 of 15

I agree with @sebastian.walicki. Solution provided by @Sahay_R is not a good option. First at all, by importing/linking cad:

- we will get mess with imported object styles

- we can not assign object styles to geometry in family, and it is crucial to every family. Without object stal we can turn off only entire category. I would say that quite often I need to turn change visibility, only for certain subcategory, eg. change color for furniture's which should or should not be delivered.

- and I do love @sebastian.walicki idea, where I can just change material by parameter

I experienced the same problem with CAD files, and it is not clear for my why some of the geometries are transformed into Free Form Elements, while other are not. 

Does any one was testing other formats, eg .skp? How it will behave? 

Message 14 of 15

Hi @sebastian.walicki

Thanks for sharing the file. We will test it and let you know, and try in other platforms/ import formats.

Why do you need to explode the model?

Are you trying to edit the file or trying to apply materials?

If you need to alter the shape best bet is to make the change in CAD  and import the 3Dsolid to Revit as a new family.

If your object is a poly mesh and has more than 10,000 elements then it's not possible to explode it successfully

Hi @norbert_lewko

The idea by @Sahay_R is welcome, where she suggests breaking apart the model in CAD before export. This helps when there are numerous elements embedded in the whole model. Importing in parts helps partially exploding and the process in converting these 'parts' to Revit elements

You are welcome to try other format using platforms like FormIT

Regards,

Message 15 of 15
Sahay_R
in reply to: Viveka_CD

There are many solutions to many problems. The trick is finding the one that works for you.

In this case - the best solution - model all geometry in Revit. If you don't know how to then learn how to. Less time and headaches than working out inter-operability problems.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report