Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rounded Edge Shape (Conceptual Mass)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1466 Views, 8 Replies

Rounded Edge Shape (Conceptual Mass)

Hello,

I was wondering how I would approach rounding out the edges of the shape attached:

Round Edge 1Round Edge 1Round Edge 2Round Edge 2

General Shape:

General ShapeGeneral Shape

I tried a bunch of different ways, but I just couldn't figure it out in the end. (Using voids, using reference lines + profile)

Attempts.jpg

I'm hoping to not go outside of Revit to round out those edges, but if it's not possible in Revit then outside of Revit is ok.

I've attached the .rfa of the shape.  Any help or thoughts appreciated, thanks!

Labels (5)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

when you create the basic curve ,take care to use Tangent to Arc (as in my first screencast) or use a Spline (as in my second screencast ) so to have curve continuity:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/6abbf13e-1d43-41bd-9ca4-2551f3fd7049

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/210af551-8e80-46b9-b5b6-eb608f97edf4

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Hi Constantin,

Thank you so much for the videos!  You've provided me with some really good tips.

I just tried the method you did with video #1.  There are some parts of the shape that remains flat.  What would  your approach be to rounding out the edges for when the flat part meets with an angled part of the shape?

Reference below:

Round out edgesRound out edges

Some background on the shape:  I was trying to create something that would follow a stair path, so some parts are angled while some parts are flat.  But I was hoping to make the transition from flat to angled smoother by rounding out where they meet.

I was able to round out some parts with a void form, but it's not very accurate because of how the shape curves:

Rounded EdgeRounded Edge

Here's what the void form looks like (Used a reference point and used the plane to create a void profile)

Rounded Edge MethodRounded Edge Method

But since the shape curves, using fillet arc doesn't work when creating the profile, so I approximate the shape.  Approximating the shape causes the issue below:

Void IssuesVoid Issues

Thank you again for your videos!

Message 4 of 9
ToanDN

Why don't you built that shape by creating a form from a smooth curve instead of fixing the crooked shape after the fact?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi Toan,

Thanks for the reply!  I'm not too sure what you mean.  Something like below?

#1 Make the profile first and then twist the form:

Start with a curved profileStart with a curved profile

#2: Start with a curvy form and cut out the shape I want using void forms:

Start with a curved columnStart with a curved column

Thanks!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Sorry I think I was unclear about what I was trying to model.

I was trying to find a way to make the transition from flat to angled be rounded. I'm having trouble figuring it out when it's a spiraling shape with each segment having a different radius.

RoundOutEdges.jpg

Each segment has a different radiusEach segment has a different radius

Thanks!

Message 7 of 9
ToanDN

ToanDN_0-1604697569306.png

ToanDN_1-1604697634118.png

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Ah I see! Thank you!

I tried something similar to that, but I used multiple profiles:

Profiles following a curved pathProfiles following a curved path

I wasn't able to use the sample in the image above because I couldn't figure out how to set the radius of the rounded 'edge'

Hoping to control radius of roundingHoping to control radius of rounding

I was hoping for something closer to the red + green outline.

Is this similar to what you were suggesting?  Or were you thinking of using only one profile and then using another void profile to cut the bottom and top parts?

Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
ToanDN

Then draw the path using lines and fillet between them.

ToanDN_1-1604710086674.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report