Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Room bounding parameter for windows

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1828 Views, 7 Replies

Room bounding parameter for windows

I have a bay window which i need to include its floor area in my room schedule. 

Is there a way to change weather its a room bounding elements (Similar to walls) so i can then use separation lines to take that area into a room?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
martijn_pater
in reply to: Anonymous

Is this in reference to your other topic? https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/window-family-and-room-areas/m-p/9165013 Did you get that resolved, because then you should have the right area's? Perhaps post an image?

Message 3 of 8
barthbradley

Are you saying that the Bay is not modeled with walls, which is typically how a bay is constructed?  Whatever; I'm not understanding why you can't just use Room Separation Lines. Can you provide additional info?  

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

The Bay window is modeled as a window family, using massing as the walls. when we place a room area into the plan it automatically picks the boundary of the wall which the bay window is placed. We need a way to "break" the boundary that Revit generates and use separation lines on the bay

Message 5 of 8
barthbradley

Yeah, that's kind of what I was envisioning.  So, the way I would approach is by drawing 3 room separation lines along the 3 walls of the bay. I guess what you are saying, is that you did this and the room boundary still won't adjust to include that bay area.  I suspect some room bounding elements (maybe a bulk head above) is crossing in front of the bay.  You need to find that room bounding element and make it non-room bounding.  

Zip and post your file and I'll take a look at it.  

Message 6 of 8
kadmonkee

draw the walls in your model which contain the window family

the custom window family should only contain the window components as it will automatically cut the walls in you model.

simplify your window family (remove the massing) to position the window in the correct location relative to your walls

make the window family parametric to be able to adjust the width to accommodate the walls of your bay design.

the other option would be to simply draw room separation lines where you need or want them

If there is any information shared that is of value please give Kudos
If a solution is provided by any posters please mark them as Solved to benefit everyone else.
thank you
Message 7 of 8
martijn_pater

Place the window in a non room bounding wall where your bay windows are positioned and draw some seperation lines around it. Elements above shouldn't change the area I think. If you edit the profile and create a wall opening ie., if you change computation height it will adjust accordingly. If it's on floor level you could also edit the wall profile and draw seperation lines around the bay window. But your family is a window family so you wouldn't be able to place it in the opening, you could also make it face based and do that. So you need the non-room bounding wall in the opening.

Or you could edit profile and not have it cut above the window, so the window can still be placed on the wall.

Message 8 of 8

Also, you might want to include the seperation lines in groups for your bay windows.

It is interesting though that a window family with wall opening cut, also with wall in a family which is set to non-room bounding will still be room bounding. Could be useful for this situation to be able to control that this way I think, being room bounding by default ofcourse.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators