Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Room Boundaries - Still bounding even when unloaded, deleted, unchecked

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
lukekvasnicka
1427 Views, 9 Replies

Room Boundaries - Still bounding even when unloaded, deleted, unchecked

We have a shell office building and are also doing the finish out for one of the tenant spaces.  The tenant model was linked into the shell model but the tenant linked model was set to be non-Room Bounding (the default, under Type Properties of linked file).  We noticed that despite not being a room bounding model the walls and room separation lines in the linked file we bounding the rooms in the shell model.  Troubleshooting so far:

• Completely removed the linked file from the shell model. Synced, closed and reopened the file.  The rooms in the shell model are still being bounded by the tenant model which is no longer linked or loaded into the shell.
  • Saved a copy of the tenant model with all walls turned to non-room bounding.  Linked in this new copy of the tenant model.  Still have phantom boundaries.  Rooms in the copy of the tenant model still bounded despite deleting walls or unchecking room bounding.
  • Even if rooms are deleted and recreated they are still bound by phantom walls.  The test rooms in the tenant model screenshot were created when the tenant model was not even linked in.
  • Adjusted computation height of rooms for levels in both shell and tenant model.  Tried various heights from 0'-4'.  Computation height was not affecting the phantom boundaries
  • We have no intermediate levels between Level 1 and BO Structure which is the upper limit for both walls and rooms of level 1.  All phantom rooms go from 0'-0" - 8'-0"
  • Rooms in the tenant model are still being bounded by phantom lines even when demising walls are completely deleted.  New walls don't exhibit this behavior.
  • I've checked for hidden objects in 'reveal hidden elements' mode.  I've turned on room and area separation, no extra separation lines.
  • Rooms still being calculated to face of finish despite walls being deleted.

Really at a loss here.  The tenant model is a single-story, very basic model.  Nothing above or below that could be creating the phantom boundaries.  I have no idea how these phantom boundaries could be affecting the shell model when the models are not even linked together.  

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

You've got company. A couple of months ago there was a post describing the same thing.  No solution to date.  We jumped through all the hoops on that one.  Maybe it's a "bug".  Is it possible for you to post the file, instead of going back and forth with guesses?  

Message 3 of 10

I was trying to find a way to post the file without identifying information due to my firm's privacy policy.  I detached the tenant model and was preparing to post it on its own; however, without the shell model loaded in, I cannot recreate the error.  In the tenant model alone, with no linked models the room boundaries behave normally.  Once I linked in the shell model the original phantom boundaries returned.  Again these boundaries do not exist in the shell model only in the tenant model.  I will keep trying to figure out a way to post both files but I need to clean up identifying information that could create a privacy concern.

Message 4 of 10
ToanDN
in reply to: lukekvasnicka

Is your view / link set to Show Previous + Demo?
Message 5 of 10

... possibly a phasing issue?

Message 6 of 10
ToanDN

I found these information contradicting:

- from your 1st post:  Completely removed the linked file from the shell model. Synced, closed and reopened the file.  The rooms in the shell model are still being bounded by the tenant model which is no longer linked or loaded into the shell.

- from your 2nd post:  I detached the tenant model and was preparing to post it on its own; however, without the shell model loaded in, I cannot recreate the error.

Message 7 of 10
lukekvasnicka
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes it is very confusing to describe.

1st Post

When I have the shell model open and the tenant model is not linked the error still occurs.  I get phantom room boundaries as if it were still loaded.

When I open the tenant model with the shell loaded I have phantom room boundaries which remain even when walls are deleted or moved.

2nd Post

When I open the tenant model WITHOUT the shell loaded room boundaries act as normal in the tenant model.  As soon as the shell model is linked in the error reappears and the phantom boundaries return.

It seems like the error only happens in one direction.  When the shell is unlinked from the tenant model I get normal behavior.  When the tenant model is unlinked from the shell the error still occurs.

Hope that's clear?

Phasing

Both models and views are in the new construction phase and set to show 'Previous+New'

The shell model has an existing phase that contains existing building elements which are being demo'd.

The tenant model has a 'blank' existing phase that contains no elements.  All of the phantom boundaries are from the 'New Construction' phase.

Message 8 of 10
RDAOU

Without a model in hand and from how it looks like, that's a phasing /phase filter issue...

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 9 of 10

Had a similar problem.

What I did was create a new phase, named it New Construction 2, drew some walls off to the side (something needs to exist on a phase before it can be merged) and then merged the original New Construction phase into my created New Construction 2 phase. This worked for me at least. 

Message 10 of 10

Hi, We have the same problem in Revit 2022.  We have deleted some walls from our model but they are still acting as room bounding elements.

Does anyone know if there are any fixes available yet?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators