Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof issue

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
341 Views, 5 Replies

Roof issue

Hello,

I have a question about the calculation of an roof.

I heard that Revit can't calculate the oblique side of the roof (the red line in the attachment). 

Revit only calculated the roof plan (blue line in the attachement)

So i have to use Shared Parameters or mathematical formulas?

It is an issue in Revit self?

Greetings

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
RDAOU
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Usually...if one cannot calculate something one cannot draw it. So if Revit is giving you the roof you need it must be finding a way to compute the whole geometry.

1. What are you trying to Calculate exactly? I don't understand what is meant by calculate the oblique
  2. For what purpose is this calculation? reporting/scheduling? curiosity?
  3. And most important, how did you model that roof?

Revit computes different elements in different ways...if it is a mass cut with 3 voids then it is not not the same as using the roof tool or a model in-place extrusion. So you need to be more specific

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 6
chrisplyler
in reply to: RDAOU

I think he wants the surface area, for example to calculate shingle requirements.

Message 4 of 6

maybe I miss something here...but REVIT calculates the true area of the roof , not the projected area......

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
RDAOU
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

If he used the roof tool it should but it is not clear how he modeled the roof...Just checked another of his posts HERE dating 2 weeks back stating he modeled his roof as a family!! it's the same post I think where he refs to on additional parameters.

So something is not really clear...in an earlier post he did ask about how Revit calculated roof area HERE (he was calculating area of flat projection and Revit schedule showing true area of the roof) which I clarified...and he was using the Roof by footprint tool...so I am not sure how/when he switched to families

Probably if he attach the file so one can have a look and understand whats going on and advise/suggest accordingly

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 6 of 6
loboarch
in reply to: Anonymous

From the image it looks like you are after the fascia area.

You can add a fascia element to the roof and get a length of fascia calculated but that will still not give you the area. You would need to add a parameter to hold the width of the fascia board and then a calculated value to get the area of the fascia.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators