Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof is changing slope mid-roof

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
meginL8HXP
1252 Views, 19 Replies

Roof is changing slope mid-roof

Everyone,

For some unknown reason my roof is changing from a 5/12" slope to a 9/12" slope mid way. I have a complicated roof with dormers and if I eliminate the dormer, the roof model's without issue. Also the eave height has raised at the corner. Any suggestions? I've post a 3D view and how I have it modeled. I'm only defying the slope on the southeast corner (see below)

meginL8HXP_0-1598470250207.png

meginL8HXP_1-1598470484638.png

If I define the slope between the dormers, the eaves are all the same height but I have the weight transisiton from 5/12 slope to 9/12 slope mid-roof.

meginL8HXP_2-1598470685624.png

meginL8HXP_3-1598470708035.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going nuts.

Thanks,

Meg

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
barthbradley
in reply to: meginL8HXP

You have me scratching my head trying to make sense of what you are describing. Can you post the file?  

...are your eaves not aligned?  You may have an offset from roof base on one or more of your eaves. 

Message 3 of 20
martijn_pater

Must be something off with your offset/slope angle settings, does look off though as those are seemingly ok. Zip&add the file...

Message 4 of 20
georgehobel
in reply to: barthbradley

Can you scratch my head while your at it???   if this truly works... that he has found a way to bend a roof mid-span... that would save me a lot of time.

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Residential Building and Design
Message 5 of 20
barthbradley
in reply to: georgehobel

@georgehobel wrote:

Can you scratch my head while your at it???   if this truly works... that he has found a way to bend a roof mid-span... that would save me a lot of time.

Actually, it can be done through Shape Editing fairly easily.   Obviously, that's not the case here.  I'd love to see the OP's file if he's listening.  @meginL8HXP ?  

Message 6 of 20
georgehobel

im lost... how is "shape editing" going to help you scratch my head?   for me... still trudging along with Revit LT.... I dont think I have that option.... :l

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Message 7 of 20
barthbradley

@georgehobel wrote:

Shape Editing Roof.png

Message 8 of 20
martijn_pater

@georgehobel wrote:

that he has found a way to bend a roof mid-span... that would save me a lot of time.

@georgehobel You can bend mid-span using slope arrows in the sketch. However if you do not define the slopes on both sides of the roof it will redefine the roof slopes at bottom and top since this corresponds to the tail/head of the slope arrows. It is strange in OP's scenario however. Although I feel it is something similar as I'm showing below, but it is difficult/impossible to troubleshoot without (the roof part of) the file.

Roof bend scenarioRoof bend scenario

Message 9 of 20
meginL8HXP
in reply to: martijn_pater

@martijn_pater @barthbradley @georgehobel 

Thanks for your input and help. I'm uploading the roof file. When I have all the slopes defined it creates the job in the roof from 5/12 to 9/12 slope. Let me know what you think?

Thanks!

Message 10 of 20
georgehobel

and this..... is why I keep coming back... thanks guys... pretty soon I will be good that this.

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Message 11 of 20
georgehobel

never knew this... thanks...

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Message 12 of 20
meginL8HXP

@martijn_pater 

Check out the revit file, I didn't add slope arrows mid span and still don't know why it changes mid-span.

Thanks,

Meg

Message 13 of 20
barthbradley

Looks like you broke the rules, so to speak, and Revit worked out a configuration based on the input.  Red circles should be defined slopes.  Blue circle is Revit's brain on drugs. I'm surprised Revit didn't throw a hissy fit upon finishing and closing out of sketch mode. You got lucky.   

82920 Roof.png

Attached is one solution, doing the two smaller eyebrows as separate roofs.  

82922Roof.png

82923Roof.png

Message 14 of 20
meginL8HXP

@barthbradley 

Awesome! Thank you so much. This did the trick.

Thanks,

Meg

Message 15 of 20
martijn_pater

@meginL8HXP Don't have rvt2021 here, so I couldn't open the file sorry. Anyway, glad you worked it out (see post#3 though...)

Message 16 of 20
ToanDN

Here is a single roof without the wacky feature.  What you did wrong was splitting the sketch of each dormer into 2.  You don't need to that.  Each dormer should be one segment with 2 sloped arrows of the exact same length.  SO draw the arrow from one end to the mid point of the segment, then mirror it.

See revised file.

ToanDN_0-1598739752303.png

Message 17 of 20
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN wrote:

What you did wrong was splitting the sketch of each dormer into 2. 

So, what you are saying is that I and the OP got lucky doing 10 eyebrow using a split boundary line?  FWIW: It's been documented both ways.  

Also FWIW, here's a screenshot of your roof which I revised to add the 2 eyebrows you missed and to change the slopes to match the ones the OP used.  

Weird, huh?   

Wacky.png

Message 18 of 20
ToanDN

I purposely left the last two out because I knew you would get your hand to it.  Still you revised it wrong even I had laid out all the steps to get it done correctly.

ToanDN_0-1598746447263.png

Message 19 of 20
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN wrote:

I purposely left the last two out because I knew you would get your hand to it. 

Sure I would. I love these challenges.  

Okay, so I see the 2 additional eyebrows standing tall and proud, but what about the 5/12 slopes?  

Message 20 of 20
ToanDN

Good catch.

ToanDN_0-1598753224241.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators