Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit - Point Clouds - Automatic Feature Extraction

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1753 Views, 3 Replies

Revit - Point Clouds - Automatic Feature Extraction

Hello,

I started using Revit to import my point cloud data. I was looking on how to generate the BIM from the point cloud.

But all the tutorials I found available online basically just use the points as reference to start defining floor plans and structures. It looks like a manual process.

Is there no automated feature extraction in Revit?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
maciejwypych
in reply to: Anonymous

There is no magic wand that would change a poincloud to a BIM model.
It's relatively easy to convert a pointcloud to a 'dumb' 3d model, but it will basically a single mesh. It would require a proper A.I. for a computer to say that a ceiling is a ceiling and not a floor or a roof, just by looking at bunch of points 🙂

But seriously now..
There are a few software packages like Scan to BIM or Faro Point Sense that speed up the manual process.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: maciejwypych

Thanks maciejwypych,

I imagined that there would not be anything miraculous, but I thought that at least some basic feature extracting would be available, like extracting walls.

This way I would be able to get a partial model to work on. I'll take a look at the other applications you mentioned.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Did you check out the Edgewise software? It allows you to extract and edit walls, doors, and windows automatically. Then, you can edit them in Pointsense for Revit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report