Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Phasing - How to show Items moved / reused; which are not demolished

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
3872 Views, 16 Replies

Revit Phasing - How to show Items moved / reused; which are not demolished

Hi,

Has anyone faced this scenario where I am having fixtures/Furniture which will be re-used/ moved in the New construction stage. So when I am showing "Previous+demo" I want to be able to showing thing which are going to be only re-used, not demolished. Which means I want a different Graphic override for items which are going to be re-used. Any ideas how to be able to do this?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
cbcarch
in reply to: Anonymous

Perhaps you could create a new Phase, such as "Re-Used", then set up a new Material called "Phase-Re-Used", then assign the new material to the re-used objects. Then set up a Phase Filter in your Views to Show Existing and Re-Used. This way they would appear with a distinct color vs Existing Phase objects or New construction objects. ( Not sure about this?)

Another way could be to create a Filter, named "Re-Used". Then set up a Graphic Override for Re-Used objects. Then apply the Filter to the View Template,

and assign the View Template to your Views where you want to show Re-Used items.

You might also be able to create a Schedule, and Filter it by a Parameter called "Re-Used Items".

Just some quick thoughts---would have to test these ideas to see if/how they work.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: cbcarch

That was amazing, I haven't throught of Graphic override filter, as through phasing, aslready there is an override, I didn't feel like, one more override will work.

I have tried doing that, it works. Also I could quantitify it.

Before I could see your reply, I have tried another complex work around. But I feel graphic override method will work best in my case.

Even creating a phase called Demo could be an option but, again I believe it will complicate.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

How about reused but moved items?

How to show the item in demolition view at existing location, and show it at new location in proposed view?

Message 5 of 17
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

How about reused but moved items?

How to show the item in demolition view at existing location, and show it at new location in proposed view?

If there is a few of them:

- Demolition plan: shown as demolished, with note or keynote indicates them being salvaged

- New plan: shown as new, with note or keynotes indicate salvaged item to be installed

If there are many, I may create View filters to distinguish graphically Salvaged from Demolished items, and (E) to be re-installed from New items.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 17
PaulineP54QC

Hello - As MEP designer and Revit user, we cannot always create "phases" because the model is in the cloud. Anyway, how do you supposed to "Relocate" an existing electrical equipment and/or devices that appear in the Demo as "Phase created: Existing" and "Phase Demolish: None"? Thanks       

Message 7 of 17
RSomppi
in reply to: PaulineP54QC

@PaulineP54QC wrote:

Hello - As MEP designer and Revit user, we cannot always create "phases" because the model is in the cloud.      

That's not true unless you are working in someone else's model and it isn't allowed by the BEP.

Message 8 of 17
mhiserZFHXS

@PaulineP54QC wrote:

Hello - As MEP designer and Revit user, we cannot always create "phases" because the model is in the cloud. Anyway, how do you supposed to "Relocate" an existing electrical equipment and/or devices that appear in the Demo as "Phase created: Existing" and "Phase Demolish: None"? Thanks       

I don't think I'd use the phase idea above anyway. I'd make a parameter for salvage/reuse or whatever language you want to use, and I'd make it a yes/no parameter. If you want to be specific about what exact salvaged equipment goes where, you could either use the built-in "Mark" parameter, or create one similar to it, and assign the same value to the element in the demo phase and new work phase.

To clarify, you cannot actually "move" an element's location from one phase to the next. They have to be two separate elements as far as Revit is concerned. You use the parameters I noted above to signify in your drawings that they are the same element.

Message 9 of 17
SteveKStafford

While reading the thread I remembered a blog post I wrote called "Home for Unwanted Doors". It describes a way to capture a record of design iterations that a client thought of while I was working through some problems with them on their project. At the end of the post I mentioned using a separate simplified family to replace the "moved" or "eliminated" family. This replacement family can be scheduled, altered in views by appearance and filtered in/out of views/schedules. This way we can use the simpler family to indicate where it was with a reference to its new home.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 10 of 17
PaulineP54QC
in reply to: RSomppi

Thanks for the reply. That's what I meant. The Architectural model does not belong to us. We work in a model that it is cloud based. Project was divided into 2 phases, and I was not referring about Phasing objects from "Demo" to new construction". I am referring to when the architect creates two phases (or 3 phases) of the model and we have to select it as instructed by the architect. Anyway, my inquire is related to the fact that we cannot relocate bim object when they are "Existing/New construction".
Message 11 of 17
RSomppi

Not sure why you are working in the architect's model. MEP, especially for consultants, should be a separate model.

How are you protecting yourself against the architect moving MEP elements, or, for that matter, MEP guys moving architectural elements?

Either way, if it is the architect's model, you should be asking them how they want you to do it.

Message 12 of 17
PaulineP54QC
in reply to: mhiserZFHXS

Thanks for your response. That's exactly I have been doing but when you have large floor plans two or more stories and the Bim object are light fixtures it really becomes very annoy and tedious. Basically I have to copy the "demo" light fixture, assign a Mark Like "EX." and paste to the phase filter "show previous + New" so I can Relocated it.  Same with receptacles, fire alarm devices, tele/data devices, Electrical equipment (disconnects, Panelborads, etc.).  We need more updates for electrical users. 

Message 13 of 17
PaulineP54QC

Thank for your response. Because we use BIM360 "live" means changes are reflected as they occur.  That way we don't have to have too many revit files for every update. 

Message 14 of 17
RSomppi

I understand the process on BIM 360. What you are doing is not a recommended practice and can lead to trouble. 

If you would like to discuss the pros and cons, start another thread as it is not related to this topic and I don't want to derail the thread any further.

Message 15 of 17
PaulineP54QC

Let me clarify a bit,  each member of MEP will create their own model reiit file Ex. M24-hounted house (mechanical), E24-hounted house (electrical) and P24-hounted house (Plumbing) the 24 means Revit 2024. The architect has BIM360 and grant permission to access their "Shared Folder" So the MEP team are ready to upload our Revit files to the cloud. The Architectural model is like an X-reference in AutoCAD, it is just the background (Overlay). You can select any object from the Arch model and copy to your model.  Other disciplines like structural and Food Service can also create their model and upload so we (electrical) can see them. 

Message 16 of 17
ToanDN

Your question hardly has anything to do with this thread. Start your own topic for better responses.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 17 of 17
RobDraw

@PaulineP54QC wrote:

That's exactly I have been doing but when you have large floor plans two or more stories and the Bim object are light fixtures it really becomes very annoy and tedious. Basically I have to copy the "demo" light fixture, assign a Mark Like "EX." and paste to the phase filter "show previous + New" so I can Relocated it.  Same with receptacles, fire alarm devices, tele/data devices, Electrical equipment (disconnects, Panelborads, etc.).

The workflow is the almost exactly the same as using demo/new. I guess that means you consider the entire Revit workflow "annoy[ing] and tedious".

@PaulineP54QC wrote:

We need more updates for electrical users. 

That's pretty shortsighted of you. If you think an update to the electrical side is going to make this any easier, you are mistaken. This has nothing to do with the trades. It's just the way Revit works for ALL trades. If you find it annoying and tedious, you might want to use a different program.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators