Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit .pat files not recognized

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Kev_D
3724 Views, 22 Replies

Revit .pat files not recognized

When trying to load a .pat file, I get the following error. 

KevDeegan_1-1593103115848.png

When I check the filepath, the .pat files icon is different. I am thinking this is why it is not loading.

KevDeegan_0-1593103053158.png

The icon should look like these

KevDeegan_2-1593103176298.png

Any idea why this is happening?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
ToanDN
in reply to: Kev_D
Message 3 of 23
Kev_D
in reply to: ToanDN

But even at that, they still should have the right icon in my directory. Without trying to load from Revit, when I navigate to the filepath folder in my C Drive, the icon is not the correct one. 

Message 4 of 23
ToanDN

The icon means nothing. If the .pat extension is somehow associated with another program then the files will show with that icon of such program. You can just right click and open it in Notepad to see the content.
Message 5 of 23
barthbradley

Open the .pat file and change %%Drafting%% to %%Model%% and then Save it under a new name.  Then see if you can create a new Model Pattern from it in Revit.  Might work. Might not. 

Message 6 of 23
Pattycake_Kyle

In addition to potentially not being a PAT file or the right type in general, that is also the error output when there is also something internally wrong with the PAT file. (lines too dense, spacing or offset non-compliance etc - it wont even load the PAT file into the program). Which as @ToanDN has pointed out, the icon doesn't matter. It looks like its correctly saved as a .pat file.

If you upload or copy in the text here for that PAT file i can investigate for you. Or head over to Pattycake and paste in the values in our text editor, it will pop out a red '!' for which lines may be issues.

Cheers

Error on line 14Error on line 14

www.pattycake.io
Web based & real time .PAT creator. The largest collection of free PAT files! Over 700+ Pat files ready to download
No plugins or add-ins to install, and Revit compliant!
Message 7 of 23
hmunsell

the reason your seeing the way you are is the ".PAT" file type has been associated with Notepad. 

• right click on the file
    • Open With
      • Choose another App
        • and pick the application you want to associate the .PAT file with.

That said, a .pat file is just a text file, you can open and edit it with any text editor.

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 23
Kev_D
in reply to: ToanDN

OK. Thanks for the clarification. This was the first thing that jumped out at me cause I always remember the .pat file being the 'red' icon in the image above. Now I know. I will have to look further to see what the issue is. At least that is ruled out. 

Message 9 of 23
Kev_D
in reply to: Pattycake_Kyle

This is great. Thank you for pointing it out. 

Message 10 of 23
Kev_D

Still getting the error after using Pattycake to create the .pat file.

KevDeegan_0-1593111856430.png

Copied it into a .txt and renamed to .pat

When creating and new Model pattern, I navigate to this .pat and I still get the error 

KevDeegan_1-1593111905282.png

Message 11 of 23
Pattycake_Kyle

See the error on line 8?

The "!" tells you something is wrong there. If you hover over that icon, it will tell you more specifically about the error.

In this case i can tell you its that your offset is set to zero (0). The offset tells it how to repeat the line, and if that is zero, there is no 'repeating'. So for DRAFTING patterns (for example), Autodesk wants an offset of .002" or more.

This goes into the offset and values for what they do.
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Au...

Once you clear all line errors, you should be able to load it in.

www.pattycake.io
Web based & real time .PAT creator. The largest collection of free PAT files! Over 700+ Pat files ready to download
Message 12 of 23
Kev_D

Thank you @Pattycake_Kyle 

Pattycake has made a serious difference in understanding pattern files

Message 13 of 23
Pattycake_Kyle

So glad to hear 😎

Reach out anytime hi@pattycake.io if you are having troubles. And keep an eye out, we're prepping to release some great doc resources for help in creating pattern files and understand them more.

Cheers! :birthday_cake::birthday_cake::birthday_cake::birthday_cake::birthday_cake::birthday_cake::birthday_cake:

www.pattycake.io
Message 14 of 23
erichr

Hi, I'm wondering why this is so insanely difficult. Literally none of these steps work for me, Revit won't recognize pattern files even if I reassign how they open with windows, the whole thing is beyond frustrating.

Message 15 of 23
Pattycake_Kyle
in reply to: erichr

Anymore info on what is going on? Suggest you load it into Pattycake and it can normally spot the errors. As earlier mentioned in the thread, it wont matter what program its assigned to. It normally has to do with the PAT file breaking one of the many rules or incorrect syntax. If you load into Pattycake, you'll see red ! mark for errors and when downloading, it will give you warnings for potentially 'bad' PAT files.

https://pattycake.io/docs/d/pat-file-syntax-and-rules Check here for the rules, the file most likely has incorrect syntax or is breaking a rule, both of which wont load into Revit. You can also reach out to hi at pattycake if you need additional help 🤘

www.pattycake.io
Message 16 of 23
erichr

Ok, pattycake spotted possible errors but I have no idea about how to fix them.

Also Revit can't even find the file to load the pattern, so that's still an issue.

Message 17 of 23
erichr

Also the pattern file seems to have been vetted by Revit City users, but I have not once been able to successfully load any .pat file into Revit. So there seems to be some major problem with Revit not finding the file type, I'm not sure though.

Message 18 of 23
hmunsell

can you upload the PAT file to this thread so we can take a look at it?

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 19 of 23
Pattycake_Kyle

Ditto to what @hmunsell said. We have to see the PAT file to take a look and test it. Or perhaps link to the revitcity thread?

www.pattycake.io
Message 20 of 23
erichr

I now think that perhaps the problem is with .pat files that I'm getting from Revit City. I managed to find a .pat file generated just for Revit that seems to work. Thanks for the help.

As far as editing these files, I'm not sure where to start, maybe with a tutorial?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators