Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit for new Apple M1 Macs

80 REPLIES 80
SOLVED
Message 1 of 81
Anonymous
49446 Views, 80 Replies

Revit for new Apple M1 Macs

I use Revit in a virtual Windows machine on my mac. I'm thinking of replacing my MacBook with a new generation one, but because Apple has created their own M1 chips, its not possible to run virtual windows anymore. It's a pity, these new chips seem very powerful and efficient. 

When is Autodesk going to port Revit to the Mac platform? If this does not happen anytime soon, I'm afraid I and many other architects will have to find another BIM-solution

Labels (5)
80 REPLIES 80
Message 41 of 81
carl
in reply to: colourcaddy

It appears you are very statically happy with what the Market place offers at the moment. Railroaded choices. Development / change makes a better world. As my original question only raised speculation on any development option for alternatives, i think the overstatement on what is current in the marketplace is only relevant to those who resist change.

Message 42 of 81
Anonymous

Será, our lo que muestran las nuevas M1 es que pueden mover gráficos en 3d, mira los juegos que puede correr en este M1, parece  que si mueve gráficos 3D 

Message 43 of 81
Anonymous

Biased much? The platform zealots in online forums always see things only from their perspective.

The fact is that the Windows operating system, perhaps because it is so widely used, is the primary target for thieves, hackers and malcontents. It is rare, but instances exist, where Mac OS systems get hacked.

How many software attack vectors exist in the legacy closed-source wad of gum and shoelaces that is the Win10 OS?

The heart of Mac OS (itself bundled with much proprietary Apple code) is an open-source BSD plus goodies aka Darwin. Less hackable because its source code can be scrutinized by white hats who find bugs, report them, and get rewarded. Microsoft Windows OS will die someday, falling to Linux and other open-source OSes.

On the matter of OS support from AutoDesk, I have worked with engineering teams at some of the top application software companies in the world in my past. From that experience, I would speculate that it is almost always a sign of sloppy coding standards, needless adoption of proprietary OS-bound APIs,  and hacky guts that make a software app hard to port across operating systems. 

Message 44 of 81

Man... I believe you need a vacation. The world is not binary, so we shouldn’t be either. You are in no way helping anyone, other than your ego, by stating what you believe is serious or not.

If people stuck to “real world solutions” (ie not questioning/pushing against the status quo), we’d all be stuck in time, probably in some sort of dictature.

And “not serious” things like iPhones, rockets that land instead of burning up, electrical cars and all the other stuff that “just weren’t plausible” because they weren’t thought possible, wouldn’t exist.

Pragmatic dreamers are a thing. Chill out.
Message 45 of 81

That's a different forum.

Good day.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 46 of 81
Anonymous

thank you sir, for your very clear explaination of the problem. but i m unlucky sir, i m a revit user and i thought it would run via parallels and rosetta but it is not running, it is just closing after installing. waste of money but now cant afford another laptop again

Message 47 of 81
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

That’s truly unfortunate the latest WindowsOnArm build isn’t compatible with the degree of x64 code required to run Revit. At least it installed. Which is an improvement over the last build.

Perhaps the solution is to sell the M1 Mac and buy an Intel Mac? I’m facing this situation myself in the next few months as I purchase new gear for contract work.

I can only assume some upcoming builds will improve compatibility. Those of us hoping for such compatibility have to deal with these setbacks. Those on this forum who think we’re taking the wrong tactic by combining Revit + (prerelease) WindowsOnArm + Parallels + macOS + Apple M1 chip see our efforts as humorous and possibly asinine. That’s their call. So today isn’t the day Revit will run on an M1 Mac… There is hope for tomorrow.

Much of what used to be incompatible, only became compatible by those of us desperately seeking for it to be so.
Message 48 of 81
RobDraw

It's one thing to embrace new technology. It's a totally different thing to jump the gun hoping it will work sometime in the future.

Good luck!

Rob

Message 49 of 81
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

Just now tried in installing revit in parallels after several trails last month, and i received a mac os update last week so tried installing it again today. now revit is working in parallels in m1 macbook pro. hope it improves still, still small frame drops while rotating the 3d image in realistic view, but something is working is happy to me, because it didnt even open when i have installed last time. finally feeling happy that i didnt waste my money on m1 macbook and parallels.🙏🏻🙏🏻

Message 50 of 81
TimLCraig

Revit works well with Intel based Macs and Parallels but does not work even with the new version of Parallels for the Mac M1.  Is Autodesk addressing coordination with Parallels?  Rumor has it that AutoCAD does work with the newest Parallels for the M1 Macs, why not Revit?

Message 51 of 81
RobDraw

They are entirely different platforms. Having one work does not mean the other will.

Rob

Message 52 of 81
TimLCraig

This is not a response. I completely understand your point. The question
is wether AutoDesk is doing anything about the M1 Mac issue or not.
Message 53 of 81
RobDraw

You won't get that answer here. This is a user help forum. Users helping users.

Rob

Message 54 of 81
TimLCraig

Thanks
Message 55 of 81
Anonymous

Great news. A screenshot with the "About this Mac" dialog, showing the M1 might help, but we all live in an age of Photoshop; and I remember seeing a "valid screenshot" of "Mac-native Revit" back in 2005... on April 1. It was Revit on a heavily-skinned-Windows.
Message 56 of 81
Anonymous

No doubt some of you will have stumbled across this by now, but people on the Parallels forum are reporting Revit now works with latest versions of Parallels, MacOS and Windows on ARM release. Would be great to see some more confirmations on here!

https://forum.parallels.com/threads/autodesk-revit-does-not-work.353163/#post-888581

Message 57 of 81
volodymyr.dobrzhanskyi4DNLP

It looks like there is a solution to run Revit on the M1 chip. It's still damp, but it's possible.

youtube link 

Message 58 of 81
Anonymous

Can you please share the details on how are you able to run revit on Mac M1.

Message 59 of 81
Anonymous

Can you please share the details as in how to run revit on Mac M1
Message 60 of 81
Anonymous

For all those seeking a step-by-step instructional...  I have no M1 Mac to illustrate on. Buying one is in my plans before EOY'21.

Apparently there is a combination of steps which require being a Windows Insider allowing one to download either the latest build of Win10ARM for x64 code emulation, but older versions of Revit (pre 2020) seem to have greater success rates.

I've anecdotally heard that the insider build go Win11ARM is even more compatible.

The second linked video apparently is a successful install.

How to install and run Revit on your new M1 Mac computer. New chip = new work around. Enjoy!
Subscribe for Revit Mac Version(if they ever release it)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report