Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit for Landscape Architects

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1580 Views, 4 Replies

Revit for Landscape Architects

This isn't the first time that someone is posting about this topic and I don’t think this will be the last time either. It’s been almost 10 years since first tread about Revit and Landscape architecture was posted here. Considering the fact, the industry of design includes all fields, I would hope for the software to cater the same. But unfortunately, this is not the case. As an Architect and Landscape Architect, I have used Revit in both fields, and I must admit that while on one side there is abundance of information freely available, on the other side there's barely any. With almost every designer working in Revit, Landscape Architects especially feel the pain due to unavailability of information. I will try to outline a few major issues to begin with, hoping that Autodesk would help us bridge this gap. 

1. A dedicated tab for Landscape Architects - 
    There's an Architecture tab/ Structures tab/ MEP tab. I think its high time to introduce a Landscape Architecture tab that contains all the important tools that we as LA's would use. The only tab that has any relevant LA information is Massing& Site but LA's barely use this. 
  2. Planting Library - 
    This has been bought up multiple times before, but no action has been taken. There were comments regarding Archvision having Planting RPC families but they only cater to North America. There is no inclusive planting library that allows us to make our own. I work in Australia and there are barely any Australian Native plants in this mix.
  3. Clash Detection -
    A warning system that helps identifies clashes with the TPZ of existing tress with any existing/proposed new elements. This would be very similar to the clash detection system that floors and walls elements have in Revit.
  4. Line Types with Text-
    This is not a re-invention of the wheel. It was already available in AutoCAD and I do not understand the reason behind why it was not transferred across to Revit. This would help not only LA’s but all designers in documentation because current Revit system only identifies a line with a dash, a dot or a space. The addition of text and pattern would help everyone.
  5. Multi-Leader Continuation tag -
    A tag that would cater to multiple elements of the same family with a leader combining all of them i.e, 5 Trees, 10 Bollards etc.

It would be a massive relief if Autodesk Revit could cater to all the designers rather than a selected few, because the industry of design is ever growing. With more and more designers investing their time and money into this software for a more collaborative (both cloud based and offline) environment and a better outcome, it is high time that Autodesk Revit is inclusive and accommodates the needs of ALL the designers. It would be interesting to hear constructive comments from fellow landscape architects and designers, as to how this situation can be improvised.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Ahmed_Muharram
in reply to: Anonymous

i think you should put this post in the ideas forum to get support 

Ahmed Muharram, B.Sc, AEE, ACI, ACP
BIM Manager
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
RobDraw

Agreed, your "ideas" are more appropriate in other forums. This is a user help forum.

So, you want a program that isn't designed for your field to cater to it?

Revit is nowhere near an all inclusive solution. It was originally an exclusively architectural program. I remember when MEP was introduced as a separate package. As you know, there are other tools more appropriate for your field that can be a part of the BIM process.

Wouldn't it be more productive to find more suitable software rather than complaining about something that isn't designed for your field? 

Most people ask how to do something before demanding new features.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

This comment is exactly why this post was necessary. Its true that Revit was originally designed for Architects but eventually it did start including other fields of design. However there is a demand especially in large scale infrastructure projects to use ONE particular softwares across all the fields and that happens to be Revit. And that is exactly what has driven this post. I am sure there are many other projects which demand the use of one software to make the process simpler. 

You would be surprised to know how many other designers use Revit much better than the ones for whom this software was originally intended for. We have found so many ways in Revit to make things work for us except for the ones highlighted in the list and many more to follow. I train people on a day to day basis on how to use revit, so I suggest that you keep your comments strictly to the post and whether or not this can be solved.

I am only looking for ideas and solutions as to whether or not this is a possibility. There is a thought behind this post and I hope users understand that the intention behind this was make Revit much more user friendly than it currently is. 

Message 5 of 5
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:

I am only looking for ideas and solutions as to whether or not this is a possibility.

That is not the way I read your OP. Even the first response said it belongs elsewhere.

@Anonymous wrote:

I suggest that you keep your comments strictly to the post and whether or not this can be solved.

Again, that is not what I'm reading out of your first post. Plus, I am only reacting to your comments with my point of view. I don't have to agree with you to post a response.

@Anonymous wrote:

You would be surprised to know how many other designers use Revit much better than the ones for whom this software was originally intended for. 

That's rather presumptuous of you. How would you know anything about what would surprise me? 

@Anonymous wrote:

However there is a demand especially in large scale infrastructure projects to use ONE particular softwares across all the fields and that happens to be Revit. 

Yeah, people make demands that are unreasonable. Why would anyone agree to using software that isn't appropriate for the job when there are other more appropriate options?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators