Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit exported .dwg size too big

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
7014 Views, 19 Replies

Revit exported .dwg size too big

Hello All,

This has been probably discussed already but I couldn't find it. 

The issue is, the drawings I am exporting from Revit to .DWG is too big in size. So it's difficult to share the files with customer who needs it via email. Do we have any solution to reduce the exported .DWG file size?

Please share your valuable suggestions 🙂

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Anonymous

have you try when opening from autocad, audit, purged, flatten and overkill command. and see if helps. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 20
ToanDN

How many bytes?
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

Do you have a lot of filled regions or families downloaded from the internet?

We sometimes have exported DWGs over 15mb because of a hectice filled region or an over complicated mixer/plumbing fixture downloaded from a supplier in the view.

In Visibility Graphics, try and turn off a few categories - my go to's are furniture, furniture systems, plumbing fixtures, lighting fixtures, and export - see if this reduces the file size significantly. If it does - there's a family causing your issues.

Alternatively, also make sure your project is at Revit origin, and any linked in DWGs are cleaned up and flattened.

Message 5 of 20
ennujozlagam

do you have any link cad files in your revit when exported to DWG? try to remove and link as xref in your autocad. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 6 of 20
admin47

Yet again up to the user to search around having to use tricks/tips/workrounds. Can't Revit just export DWG files to a reasonable size. It shouldn't be that difficult. 

Message 7 of 20
syman2000
in reply to: admin47

Depends what you are trying to export. If you export the 3d views to CAD, it will flatten the 3d and increase the file size. Also if your plan have tons of fill region, that will also increase file size. This is where ZIP tool come in handy because it will compress the DWG file.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 8 of 20
CharlesGoin

I ma having the same thing happen. I have turned of a TON of stuff. I then go into AutoCAD and clean and purge and explode and purge, etc. etc. etc.. and I still end up with a basic 20,000 square foot hotel floor being 120 MB. It shouldn't be 10 MB its not that complicated. I have exported as Fine and as Coarse and no difference. Turned off about everythign I can find and still no difference. Its ridiculous.  

Message 9 of 20
RobDraw
in reply to: CharlesGoin

@CharlesGoin wrote:

I have exported as Fine and as Coarse and no difference. Turned off about everythign I can find and still no difference. Its ridiculous.  

If this is indeed the case, you've got some big problems.

If you share the model and or an example export, I'm sure someone will figure out what your doing wrong.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 10 of 20
ToanDN

@CharlesGoin 

Do you have a lot of hatches?

Message 11 of 20
CharlesGoin
in reply to: RobDraw

Cant share model online. 

What I noticed when exporting in Medium and Fine, is the DWG would go up exponentially with each floor. Like it was somehow adding the next floor to the DWG of the floor above. 

When opened in AutoCAD that wasn't the case though, and no matter how much I tried to purge it and overkill, etc.. it wouldn't get smaller and in some cases it would get larger. 

I tried DXF and that was ridiculous. They were 10x the size.. and I mean in the 1.2GB range for a file that shouldn't be more than a MG or so. 

Best I could do was turn off and hide ALL patterns, in both projection and surface, turned off Cielings and Floors as well to make sure I had NO HATCHES. Go to "COARSE" and drop to 1/8" scale. 

And even then this ended up as 8 MB per floor ( Which I could live with.. it was better than 128 MB ) 

CharlesGoin_0-1652096248036.png

CharlesGoin_1-1652096370812.png

I was hoping to get the furniture, and a better look than this and the ceilings. But it is what it is. 

Almost as bad as trying to convert ADT files with multiple cut up and clipped xrefs.. those are a bigger mess. I have to DWF them out and back in to get them to be good. Sloppy architects with sloppy models annoy me. 

Message 12 of 20
RobDraw

It isn't "what" it is. It's what you make it.

There are way too many variables to give you the answers to your situation without an example or a much more concise description and eliminating possibilities. 

You really should get someone that is allowed to access the project to look at it for you. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 13 of 20
bookmyg
in reply to: RobDraw

"If this is indeed the case, you've got some big problems."

This isn't a one off issue.  All of the cad files I receive from architects are always huge!!

Message 14 of 20
davidkarran

Just want to share a workaround i found. I use Diroots Prosheets for DWG export. One particular roofplan sheet, which had to display an structural IFC model, came out a whopping 390mb. I found if i temporarily isolated the IFC model in the view(removing all other elements) Prosheets(and ergo Revit) still outputs the full View on the sheets. Drawing came out at 49mb. Some witchcraft happening there but a big result. Note: I havent tried this with Revits Native DWG export. Hopefuly some folk here will benefit from this method.

Message 15 of 20
hanne_gehrke
in reply to: davidkarran

Thank you, fine. Do you perhaps have a solution for what I can do when I am sitting with the DWG file (huge) and do not have the Revit file it is generated from?

Message 16 of 20
davidkarran
in reply to: hanne_gehrke

I'm sorry, i dont know. I used to audit explode > purge > explode more > purge more, then try copying all to a blank new DWG file. Other than that i'm not sure.

Message 17 of 20
CharlesGoin
in reply to: hanne_gehrke

1. Use quick select and search for hatches and solids. select them all and delete. 
  2. Select all blocks - Explode
  3. Use quick select and search for hatches and solids. select them all and delete. 
  4. Purge
  5. Repeat

Then when no blocks, hatches or solids are left.

1. Select - ALL
  2. Erase - Previous selection - Remove the "group" from the selection
  3. Enter
  4. Purge
  5. Ungroup the group
  6. Purge
  7. Wblock out whats left

Its brute force.. but sometimes works.

Message 18 of 20
hanne_gehrke

Thanks for suggestions. I have actually found a quick and very efficient way to make the drawing smaller. By using the FLATSHOT command, the drawing changed from being about 80Mb to 15Mb 😀

Message 19 of 20
eb494

Late reply but when you go to export go click 'modify export setup' (three dots by 'select export setup'), then click the solids tab and make sure 'ACIS solids' is selected over 'polymesh'. That should reduce file size a lot, not sure why. Hope this helps

Message 20 of 20
haoxuBIMcoordinator

Have you tried change the scale to a smaller scale? I experienced when people trying to export a dwg using 1:1 view scale and ended up a file size 32GB, once changed to 1:500 view scale, it went back to normal.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators