Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic Model pattern will not align in project

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
3332 Views, 19 Replies

Generic Model pattern will not align in project

Hello,

I have created a Generic Model Splash back see below, when i bring this model into a project. the pattern is not able to be aligned to the flooring. what have i done wrong here?

Thank you Capture.JPG

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

How is the pattern made? 

Message 3 of 20
ToanDN

You cannot align a model pattern of a loadable family in the project environment.
Message 4 of 20
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

is it a Model Pattern? I'm seeing edges. Looks like individual panels -- possibly arrayed.  Maybe a Line-Based Family?  

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

It's is an extrusion 10mm thick with a 600x600mm pattern.

Usually i do this as a 10mm wall face and dont have this issue just wanted to have something abit more solid then a wall finish all the time. 

Below you can see the bath tiles and shower tiles dont line up and wont allow me to align them. 

Capture.JPG

Message 6 of 20
ToanDN

You have to create them as thin walls or wall sweeps in the project then you will be able to manipulate the model pattern alignment.
Message 7 of 20
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

...or @Anonymous, if you want to do it as a loadable family, model the full bathtub surround in the family. You could even parameterize it to meet different bathtub sizes and backsplash heights.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

I like this idea,

only issue is then in a situation like shown, i wouldn't be able to then align the bath tiles with the shower tiles. Pedantic i know but some clients will request things like this.

Message 9 of 20
Alfredo_Medina

Yes, you can align the lines of the tiles on the floor with the lines of the tiles on the wall. For the floor, use a floor element with model hatch pattern (not a pattern-based family!), and for the tiles on the wall, use a thin wall type with a model hatch pattern. Then, align the tiles.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 10 of 20
FAIR59

the alignment can be realised by an offset parameter in the family.

In the family:

• make a reference plane (horizontal).
  • give the plane a name.
  • give the distance to the Ref.Level a labeled dimension.
  • set the workplane of the extrusion to the reference plane.
  • align the surface pattern to the reference plane.
  • constrain the pattern to the reference plane using a locked dimension.pattern_offset.PNG
Message 11 of 20
barthbradley
in reply to: FAIR59

@FAIR59: Interesting approach, but I can't seem to get it to work. Want to post your family? 

Message 12 of 20
FAIR59

enjoy

Message 13 of 20
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

I like this idea,

only issue is then in a situation like shown, i wouldn't be able to then align the bath tiles with the shower tiles. Pedantic i know but some clients will request things like this.

Think about it this way:  if your buy prefab units with tile built-in then the pattern should be in the family; if you build them on site then the pattern should be in project to fit various conditions.

Message 14 of 20
barthbradley

Oh, I see what you're doing now, @FAIR59. Basically, you are changing the Extrusion Start in a round about way.  Clever.  

@Anonymous: I think you ought to look at @FAIR59's family.  It's pretty much spot on to what you were asking about.   

Message 15 of 20

But what is the purpose or advantage in spending time making a family with a grid pattern instead of simply using a floor or wall with a model surface pattern? 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Message 16 of 20

@Alfredo_Medina wrote:

But what is the purpose or advantage in spending time making a family with a grid pattern instead of simply using a floor or wall with a model surface pattern?

Dunno, @Alfredo_Medina.  I'm not advocating the approach and don't use it.  We use walls and floors.  But still, I found @FAIR59's approach a clever and applicable workaround.  I'm glad I learned about.  Maybe I'll find a use for it. Maybe I won't.  Always fun learning new stuff though.  Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 20

It´s like making a parametric detail item family with rows and columns, to produce a schedule, instead of using the built-in schedule feature.

Message 18 of 20

oh, I don't know that I would go that far, @Alfredo_Medina. It's just a little trick.  Whether or not it rises to the level of being a useful trick, is probably slim.  But, for the moment, it's interesting.  Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I still think your right, wall and floors are the best way to answer my question. I have been doing my splashbacks this way.

I tried to duplicate the outcome using a family. I like the idea of using families for things, i just think they are a more solid approach then using walls and having to constantly disallow join for the main stud framing. Also when you have parts of a wall with full high tiles then a 100mm skirting tile then another tile maybe at a second height again. can get fiddly with walls. 

Message 20 of 20
jcunill6Q5R9

great @FAIR59 !!

let's try the next level: can you do it in both directions (X, Y)?

by the way, I have a problem about it.  I need to make a hole in that surface, but then the offset parameter stops working (I don't know why)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report