Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision clouds - In the view or on the sheets?

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Marcus.Isacsson
17657 Views, 22 Replies

Revision clouds - In the view or on the sheets?

Hi fellas!

We have an internal discussion here at our office. 
How do you place your revision clouds, in the affected views or on the actual sheets?
And why do you place them like you do?

Thanks in advance!

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Marcus.Isacsson

Hi, there This is a real variable issue.

I will share my opinion, Using Revit Sheets is more efficient and manageable, although logically I lean towards "per view revision idea" I will list some of the points in my mind right now:

On Sheets:

- Easier for reviewing multiple views at once.

- Technically you can only Review 2d views, but using sheets will give you the ability to Review all kind of views "e.g. 3D views, Schedules .. etc.". - Reviewing on sheets won't cause problems for other consultants who're linking your model and they will not have to go and hide your revisions.

On Views:

- You will Review the exact elements/parts of a view, so you won't struggle if you're rearranging your views on sheets for any reason.

- You can hide the revision clouds easily through view templates, while you can't do this on sheet views "in case you want to issue/print a version of your drawings without cloud revisions.

In my opinion, overall using the sheets will be a better approach, unless there's a firm/project specific reason to do it on views.

I hope that could help you, and if you have any other question please don't hesitate to write me back.

Regards.

Message 3 of 23

When a set of drawings has been issued you need to show where changes are made.

Typically these are shown on drawing sheets using the revision cloud.

AJ.
Message 4 of 23

@Alan.johnson1970 wrote:

When a set of drawings has been issued you need to show where changes are made.

Typically these are shown on drawing sheets using the revision cloud.

Why not on the actual views instead of the sheets?
(If you move the views or change how they look the revision clouds becomes incorrect, right?)

Message 5 of 23
Marcus.Isacsson
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, there This is a real variable issue.

I will share my opinion, Using Revit Sheets is more efficient and manageable, although logically I lean towards "per view revision idea" I will list some of the points in my mind right now:

On Sheets:

- Easier for reviewing multiple views at once.

- Technically you can only Review 2d views, but using sheets will give you the ability to Review all kind of views "e.g. 3D views, Schedules .. etc.". - Reviewing on sheets won't cause problems for other consultants who're linking your model and they will not have to go and hide your revisions.

On Views:

- You will Review the exact elements/parts of a view, so you won't struggle if you're rearranging your views on sheets for any reason.

- You can hide the revision clouds easily through view templates, while you can't do this on sheet views "in case you want to issue/print a version of your drawings without cloud revisions.

In my opinion, overall using the sheets will be a better approach, unless there's a firm/project specific reason to do it on views.

I hope that could help you, and if you have any other question please don't hesitate to write me back.

Regards.

Thanks! I lean towards "On views" though ;)...

Message 6 of 23
bimscape

I would say on the Views.

The Revision cloud is going to highlight a specific area on a view- so why would you not tie it to that location by having it on the view in question?

What if the view gets moved on the sheet or taken off that sheet altogether. Surely the clouds would travel with it?

One of the philosophies of BIM is about minimising the number of things that we have to coordinate- thus reducing the risk or error. This seems like a good example to me.

Kind regards,
Ian

Author of The Complete Beginners' Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (free online course)
Message 7 of 23
Marcus.Isacsson
in reply to: bimscape

@bimscape wrote:

I would say on the Views.

The Revision cloud is going to highlight a specific area on a view- so why would you not tie it to that location by having it on the view in question?

What if the view gets moved on the sheet or taken off that sheet altogether. Surely the clouds would travel with it?

One of the philosophies of BIM is about minimising the number of things that we have to coordinate- thus reducing the risk or error. This seems like a good example to me.

I also root for placing them on views. But some concerns has been raised at our office.
Do you know of any disadvantages by placing them in views? Could you, as an example, get unwanted revisions on sheets where you don't want them?
(if a cloud is close to a match line or similar)

Message 8 of 23
bimscape

I've personally not come across any disadvantages.

I always try to put as much into/onto views as possible and minimise items on a sheet- apart from the view, obviously.

Do you what the office's concerns are specifically? Maybe post them hear as a good discussion point.

Kind regards,
Ian

Author of The Complete Beginners' Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (free online course)
Message 9 of 23
Marcus.Isacsson

@bimscape wrote:

I've personally not come across any disadvantages.

I always try to put as much into/onto views as possible and minimise items on a sheet- apart from the view, obviously.

Do you what the office's concerns are specifically? Maybe post them hear as a good discussion point.

One concern so far has been if a cloud is close to the edge of a view, between two sheets. Then you only see half a cloud on the sheet and the revision affects two sheets but maybe it was enough with just one.

I'm not sure thats really a problem though? Haven't heard of more concerns so far.

It seems that most people place the revisions on sheets, but few really seem to know why 🙂

Message 10 of 23

On sheets.

because that's ho to give the sheet a newer revision name (the sheet revision takes the same name of the clouds added to the sheet).

Mostafa Elashmawy
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 23
ToanDN

If you want to cloud model elements then do it on views.  If you want to cloud things like view titles, sheet info then do it on sheets.

Message 12 of 23
cbcarch
in reply to: ToanDN

Agree with most of the posts here:

In general, cloud in the View.

Obviously, Schedules must be clouded on the Sheet--so make sure to Pin the Schedule, Cloud and Triangle--because if the schedule and the cloud does not, gets moved--you will pay the price!

For Sheet annotation, cloud item on the Sheet, and again Pin everything.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 13 of 23

@MostafaElashmawy wrote:

On sheets.

because that's ho to give the sheet a newer revision name (the sheet revision takes the same name of the clouds added to the sheet).

But it finds the revision clouds on the added views and adds that info to the revision as well, right?

Message 14 of 23
Viveka_CD

@Marcus.Isacsson

Here is an excerpt from Mastering Autodesk Revit Architecture 2016

During the construction process, the project model may still be changing. As you create revisions, you might need to create more than one within the same view or sheet. Where you place the revision cloud can be as important as the revision itself.

For instance, do you place it within the view or on the sheet?

As a best practice, we suggest you place the revision in the location where the content is changing. So, if you’re modifying a flashing detail, place the revision bubble in the view. If you’re changing the name of the detail on the sheet, place it on the sheet itself. This will help you downstream, when you make another change to that same view or element.

If you find posts have solved your problem, please click on 'Accept as solution' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.

Message 15 of 23
shujath36

You may like to go through this thread. I am facing the same problem after creating it in views.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/prevent-revisions-appearing-on-drawing-title...

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Viveka_CD

While it make perfect sense that the revisions occur along with the content in the view, there is a little bug in the Revit API that can make tracking the Revision Clouds extremely difficult in certain cases. For instance, if you were to develop an add-in tool, or a Dynamo definition to schedule revisions, and if those related Revision Clouds appear in a view that is a dependent, you will be in a really frustrating situation. The reason is that the Workset ID for the Revision Cloud itself is the host view, and in the case of a dependent view, the cloud will only display the parent view and therefore you will lose track of what sheet that view is hosted to.

Additionally, if the dependent view is defined by a scope box, you will not be able to extract the crop box sketch lines to verify the area and cross reference with the sketch lines of the revisions to know if it appears in that view or not.

Until the API allows for greater precision for differentiating the views hosting revision clouds and other view dependent elements, I would recommend placing them on sheets so that you have the ability to automate your revision tracking, scheduling and narratives. It's not ideal, but in my opinion a greater savings in time and coordination.

Message 17 of 23
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for sharing your insights on the Revit API. I will share this with the team

I also suggest that you add this to the Revit Ideas page to get more visibility.

Regards,

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Viveka_CD

That's a good suggestion. It's only in the last few days that I ran into this issue and confirmed some of the limitations with our app development team. Thanks for your reply and hopefully this feedback will help others.

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

I have to disagree with you there only because if you're issuing revision sets, there shouldn't be any views moving at this point (if we're talking about Permit Sets/near-completed CDs) Therefore, it'd be much easier to turn of your revision 1 clouds per sheet rather than having to go into each viewport per sheet to turn off those clouds. 

I'd highly recommend clouding sheets. Always.

Message 20 of 23
Anonymous

If you do are likely to do future tenant improvements in the same buildings as previous projects, clouding on sheets is absolutely the way to go. 

My office does many tenant improvements in the same buildings. When the next TI begins, we'll migrate the previous Revit project as it has all of the latest existing conditions, sheets and majority of the views already created. We merge down all model content to be "existing", purge out the old demo content that's now "temporary", and merge down all revisions to one that becomes the first new revision/submittal milestone for the new project. When clouds are on the sheets, its very easy to purge them all by opening each sheet, doing a big crossing window and deleting, so you start with a completely blank slate. When they are in views, it gets infinitely more complicated and becomes a time suck. Sheets you want to issue later will have that merged down revision that can't be uncheck and it can cause later users to chase their tail trying to find it if they're not a savvy user. I personally always cloud sheets, but after encountering this difficult issue, it cemented my stand.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report