Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raising a portion of structural floor slab

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
aolivieriPPG7E
874 Views, 17 Replies

Raising a portion of structural floor slab

I have been asked to raise only a portion of floor slab to 1'-6" for only two floors of a 3 story building.  Its modeled as a structural floor (6 1/2" thick)  and there will only be a small portion that needs to be raised the 1'-6".  I thought about using an In Place model component and doing a Void Extrusion, but not sure if this would be the best way to go about this, or if there might be a way to keep the slab uniform and add that height to that portion?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

So what you are saying, is that only a portion of the slab is thickened? Why not model that portion using another, thicker Slab Type?  

Thickened Slab1.pngThickened Slab2.png

Message 3 of 18

Always think of how things are built. Think of the details of those edges of the raised portion. How is that transition going to be. Most likely you need a slab edge. If you think in Revit terms such as "voids", "model in place", you get lost and don't produce good documentation (model and details).

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 18

@barthbradley thanks, yes in essence that is what needs done.  I was just trying to avoid having to edit the whole slab again.  I ended up using the Model in Place Void Extrusion and placed a piece of slab above that at 1'-6" so that it comes out looking like what you sent me in the images.  I was just wondering if anyone knew of a faster way of extruding so to speak a piece of slab.  

Message 5 of 18

@Alfredo_Medina yes i guess it all depends on the intent of what will be going on below the raised slab at those areas.  I am thinking some piping would be added below that is taking up that space, but yes i wondered if i may need to add some slab edges around the wall to close off the floor properly.

Message 6 of 18

@aolivieriPPG7E wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a faster way.  

The "faster way" is the way I suggested. What's the big deal with making the thickened portion as a different Slab Type?  

Ah! I misread. The slab isn't thickened - it raised.   Still, two floors.  

Message 7 of 18

@barthbradley only that i did not want to go through and edit the entire slab shape, as right now its all one piece of slab and the portions i needed raised were and two different areas along the building levels.  At least with the Model in place Void Extrusion i was able to isolate just that portion of slab without having to actually change the slab shape. 

Message 8 of 18

Okay. Whatever. Your call.   

Good luck.  

Message 9 of 18

@barthbradley 🙂  yes well i think the only other way to do this would be actually creating a nestled family to show the modeled extrusion of slab.  That may have been cleaner and kept the integrity of the modeled pieces in lieu of the model in place pieces, but that seems so time consuming at this point. 

Message 10 of 18
RDAOU
in reply to: aolivieriPPG7E

@aolivieriPPG7E 

If it is about speed, a faster way is to use Openings (By face or Shaft) ... If it is a must, I prefer these over model in place...See GIF below

PS: that doesn't look like a thickened slab but more like a floating magic carpet 🙂

Slab cut.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 11 of 18
aolivieriPPG7E
in reply to: RDAOU

@RDAOU Wow you know i had not thought of that!  Yes that is much quicker than the model in place void extrusion and cleaner 🙂 I like it!! Thank you 🙂

Message 12 of 18

@aolivieriPPG7E wrote:

@RDAOU Wow you know i had not thought of that!  

WTF? You "had not thought of that"???  Using 2 Floors???  Did you read any of the other replies in this thread?  

Guess not.  

Message 13 of 18
RDAOU
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley wrote:

WTF? You "had not thought of that"???  Using 2 Floors???  Did you read any of the other replies in this thread?  

Guess not.  

I guess the OP was looking for a quicker alternative to Model in Place void because they didn't want to edit sketch of the original floor 🙂

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 14 of 18

@barthbradley@RDAOU  i do not understand your hostility. Do you suffer from amnesia?  The message record shows i responded to @barthbradley suggestion.  But @RDAOU suggestion made more sense for what i needed accomplished.  By the way this "he" is a "she" and you need to check yourself dude.

Message 15 of 18
RDAOU

Hostility? Well I can speak for myself only.. If you find anything I posted hostile, please do report it ... 

And appologies...if "he" was offending, that was edited. I have no means to identify gender from behind screens ... he(s) and she(s) are equal

Message 16 of 18
aolivieriPPG7E
in reply to: RDAOU

@RDAOU i was not addressing you and you did not offend.  I only included you in my response as @barthbradley  found it so convenient to copy you on a message to me, where i know he did not use  "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot".  

Message 17 of 18

FWIW "Dude":  Another approach would be to Copy to Clipboard the sketch boundary of your raised floor - and then Edit the lower floor and Paste from Clipboard the copied sketch boundary from the raised floor.  Bada Bing.  

Message 18 of 18
ToanDN

These tools should be considered before anything else.  They literally say what they are for if you bother to read the tooltips.

ToanDN_0-1628816239840.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators