Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

""Some dimensions were not copied because they could not find a reference.""

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
itsme.mozzarella
1351 Views, 7 Replies

""Some dimensions were not copied because they could not find a reference.""

I'm in a little pickle atm... I need to copy a ton of dimension lines over from one sheet to another. A simple copy/past gives me the error "Some dimensions were not copied because they could not find a reference." . I've tried making a group of the DimLines but to avail. They're not turned off in the View Template. Is there anyway I can easily/quickly do this? Can I somehow select all DimLines with their dependencies, copy them over and then hide those dependencies?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Dimensions are dependent of elements they "dimension". If one of these elements is missing , then the dimension  cease to exist. Try to erase one of the elements that is connected by a dimension and you will see. The same, if you want to change a dimension value , you will be able to do it , by first selecting the referenced element.

If your copy/paste dimensions in another View Plan then you have to assure the referenced elements exist there

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

@itsme.mozzarella wrote:

...I need to copy a ton of dimension lines over from one sheet to another.

...you have dimension lines on sheets?

Message 4 of 8

"...you have dimension lines on sheets?"

Yes... we can't exactly transmit dimensions telepathically so we place them on the sheets.

Capturedfsg345345g.PNG

Message 5 of 8

"Dimensions are dependent of elements they "dimension". If one of these elements is missing , then the dimension  cease to exist. Try to erase one of the elements that is connected by a dimension and you will see. The same, if you want to change a dimension value , you will be able to do it , by first selecting the referenced element.

If your copy/paste dimensions in another View Plan then you have to assure the referenced elements exist there."

It turns out some of them were dependent on Reference Planes instead of walls. But still thanks for the explanation.

Message 6 of 8

Seems like dimensions on a view, just wondering why you would add dimensions on a sheet...

Message 7 of 8

I didn't mean to come off as snarky. To be precise it's indeed on a view which in on itself is on a sheet. That's essentially what I meant. It was really stressing me out, hence the breakdown in communication on my part. My bad.

Capturefghe456.PNG

Message 8 of 8

Ha, I was just reading the question thinking why wouldn't you place them on your views. Anyway, no worries I could've probably read in between the lines there better... 🤔 You should be able to copy-paste them view to view as long as the same referencing elements are there. Always have to be careful what you're dimensioning though, you can also find several fun topics about 0-dimensions driving people crazy... but I guess you found your answer already.😅

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report