Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Dimensions and Revit turning some dimensions off in a view

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tstaudigel
775 Views, 5 Replies

Questions about Dimensions and Revit turning some dimensions off in a view

We have a client that is wanting us to put dimensions on there project, but in our elevations we have lines that determine graphics on the walls. They want us to dimension the graphics, but they don't want us to have the graphics and the dimensions for the graphics to show on the drawings. I was wondering if there was a way to create a subcategory under dimensions that I can assign the graphic dimensions to and turn them off with the visibility/graphics override. I currently have a working and print template file that turns on and off the graphics.

So I am wanting to turn the associated dimensions with the graphics off but keep all other dimensions on.

Is this even possible?

Working is Revit 2017.2

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
barthbradley
in reply to: tstaudigel

Dimensions are View-Specific Elements. Why not just create and dimension client Views?  

Message 3 of 6
ToanDN

Duplicate the view and place the dimensions only in the view you want to show the dimensions.
Message 4 of 6
bin
Advisor

You can create a different type of dimension for the graphics. After you finish the dimensioning, select all and save selection, then control the visibility in the filter.

Message 5 of 6
tstaudigel
in reply to: bin

Thank you! I was trying to use the filter idea but didnt think i could do it with annotation items. Now i see that saving that selection allows me to control the selection. Thank a huge help! I didn't want to have to create duplicate views.

Message 6 of 6
barthbradley

A Selection Filter?! Revit already has a Selection Filter to do this. A much better one. Just create a different Dimension Type for Client-Specific Dimensions and then use Select All in View +Hide in View to hide all the other Types. 

BTW: You should Duplicate Views and Create Client Specific Views.  It less work and more manageable in the long run. 

FWIW: In case you are unaware, A Selection Filter needs to be updated. In other words, new dimensions won't be automatically added to the set.  Also, a Selection Filter for View-Specific Elements will only apply to ONE specific View.  It won't work with all Views. So you would need to create  -- and keep updated -- a Selection Filter for every different Client View.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators