Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLAN VIEWS

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
740 Views, 17 Replies

PLAN VIEWS

I have a site plan which I want to use for shadow diagram I duplicated it and renamed it. The main issue is that when I try to put it on a sheet it takes up the whole sheet. As you see in the image below the floor plan has a rectangle around it which you can resize the size of the plan and the regions which could be displayed for some reason I could NOT see this on the site plan though I have checed the visibility graphics. The point is to have enough space to fit the other two shadow diagrams on the sheet. 

VIEW FRAME PLAN.JPG

SHADOW DIAGRAM VIEW RANGE.JPG 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

Crop.png

You can use the "Crop View" selection and "Crop Region Visible" to make them visible in a view

Please note that this is very basic stuff. I would advise to start with a basic course (book, video course or classical) to understand the concepts of Revit.

If you are serious with Revit this will get you up to speed much faster and will give a more comprehensive understanding how the software works.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 18
ennujozlagam

@Anonymous. I agree with Enlint start with a basic course, there are a lots of tutorials in youtube you will be able to pick up something to learn. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 4 of 18

Why bother doing a course when you can just ask on here? *rolls eyes*

Maybe Autodesk should rename the forum... 

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 5 of 18

WOW...you people don't give anyone a chance

While you are all great Experts, you recognition abilities are very much limited! Obviously he did not get this far without reading some sort of a book or followed some kind of tutorial or have watched some Youtubes. Only if YOU ALL are Natural Born Experts and knowledge was brought down upon you straight from God himself

If you find our questions below your standards wouldn't it be a good idea if you all give beginnnnnnners a break from your arrogant experrrrrrttttt replies.

Besides Autodesk did not label this forum for Experts Only

Message 6 of 18

Jason, you need to look at the history here. I have no issue at all with people asking questions even ones that people might themselves think are stupid. But Puya has been using the forum as a port of call for every minor issue she has come up against. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask someone to go and learn the basics and try to figure something things out themselves - if you constantly ask others I would question how much you learn.

Trying to figure stuff out yourself first will make you a much better Revit user.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 7 of 18

Keith sorry mate it's not personal and I am pretty sure your intentions are good but it just came out because I somehow have already been in Puya's shoes before.

I might not know the history of this and I cannot take him/her as an example but I can speak for myself. I am taking this subject as an elective course at university for 2 semesters now (3 more to go) with a professor who is one of the most prominent Autodesk's instructors and lecturers on Revit as well as computational BIM design and programming; apart from that I have purchased 3 books from Autodesk certified publishers and I am subscribed to more than 20 channels on youtube but many times between university, work and other life activities I miss out on the simplest and easiest things (I am sure you have been a student once and you know what I am talking about) .. So I end up asking a silly question on a forum to get replies such as "You should find yourself a book" OR "You should go on youtube and watch some videos and tutorials" OR even "use witchcraft" I once asked a question on "how to do something" and that was the answer I got from an EXPERT ELITE 😄 imagine that (I can give you the link!!!)

Constructive replies...But hey! If one knew where to look in the tutorials, one would have remembered the option he forgot! So if the question is below standard why not skip it and cater for the challanging unanswered questions? Funnily enough; if you would look into the history of everyone's activity on the forum you would find out that more or less everyone did ask similar silly questions 4-5-6 years ago when they were beginners

Message 8 of 18

Bottomline, everyone gets a chance. But for me there is a line between being lazy when it comes to looking for answers and being genuinely stuck.

Maimonides
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Keith_Wilkinson

Shocking reply. I assume u just had bad or insufficient sleep . Sometimes
the basics don't work in Autodesk softwares and an advance approach is
required to get it back in here. The crop view I see on all plans were
somehow missing here. So you are just making some assumptions which you are
trying to justify yourself. Nevertheless, even if you are correct and I am
all that you labeled me, this forum is for asking questions and nobody is
obliged to reply and if you don't like the fact that I ask questions you
can just back off and mind your own business cause I like to ask everyone
and look everywhere for answers. I have realized that Autodesk softwares
have multiple solutions so I would like to ask even what I know sometimes.
This is beneficial for everyone else as it makes the information available
on Google to other users. YOu are NOT obliged to answer. If I want to find
an answer or learn something I try multiple approaches and
Message 10 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

I know what you are saying but At the time I posted the question ' the CROP VIEW ' option was missing . I know this basic thing and I have done a couple basic courses and watched LYNDA.COM. but the option went missing for some reason and I couldnt see the option anymore. I used to have a problem with one of my previous softwares a couple years ago which I had something missing which even an expert in BIM couldnt figure it out and I had to reinstall the software. ANyway when I ask such questions you guys like to make the most negative assumption and label me as 'stupid'. This is very unproffesional and offensive. This happens at work too when my software had problems or I get a visrus or when my computer freezez while working with a 1.6 GB computer with windows XP. I am sick and tired of all these architectural arrogance, and negative labelling which is unethical, judgmental and appauling. Just cause we don't earn enogh respect and money as other proffesions it doesn't mean we have to offload our angers on one another.  If a menu is missing in the software, It is a sofware problem and its NOT basic.

Similar situation happened in autocad, AFter knwimg autocad for 10 years a similar thing happened and an expert had to take an advanced approach as NON of the other autocad users knew the answer.  SO if everyone is smart as they claim to be, They know that a question is NOT as basic as it may seem. For Example, IF I post ' i am NOT able to draw a wall' It may mean that the 'wall' command is missing. However this is how some members might interprete my question, ' This dude doesn't vene know how to draw a wall, Oh my god what a stupid idiot, Can't he just see the wall command in the upper left corner?' . My question could be  that the ' the wall command' is missing just as my question here was that the ' crop view was missing'  and I want to learn another way to resolve such issues without having to restart the software or the computer. Cause if I was as lazy as you labell me I wouldnt bother asking and I would just restart teh sofware like everyone else. 'IT'S called THINKING OUT OF THE GODDAM BOX' my dear experts. I do NOT like the tone I have to talk but I think I have no other choice as many memebers have shown remarkable arrogance without taking enough measures. Secondly , even if I was all that you lablled me. This is  forum which people ask questions and people are free to answer. It is not a councelling service of what I should do with my life or what courses I should take. Even if I make a BASIC error or ask a Basic question , It happens to everyone and it is absolutely normal that sometimes one may overlook or NOT notice things.I rememeber taht a few times I asked some basic questions just because i was distracted or was very tired. 

This is NOT personally to you BUT everyone else who lablled me or ANYONE else in my shoes. PS: Human rights and Peace is my value prior to anything else. So I take any unproffesional and nasty, judgemnetal commmenst very seriously. I will Never allow myself to attack anyone NOt would I allow anyone else to attack me. WHo I am as a person whether ' lazy 'or 'stupid' is completely personal and is Nobody elses business and I will NOT tolerate any more comments like this.  

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: JasonLLINDNER

Hi I have seen many tutorials and have taken the course. At teh time I was asking the quetsion The issue was that the ' Crop View' was missing and it appeared after I restarted the software. Well , vereyone is smart enough to labell me but nobody was able to give me the correct answer which I figured out myslef which was to restart the system. It was starting to sound personall to me because this is a forum which questions are being asked and answered and anyone can make simple errors and ask simple questions at times as we are all humans. This doenst mean that I have to be labelled, as this is not a councelling forum and its a REVIT forum so who I am as a person is nobodies business. Thansk for being one of the reasonable people in the forum, BUt what happens online at times is that people feel free to say whatever the hell they want online cause they don't see the person face to face to get a punch in the face. If they take one of the begginer courses in maturity they start to understand the boundaries and show empathy. 

Message 12 of 18
Keith_Wilkinson

My apologies, it was not my intention to upset you to this degree, I just fine some of your posts very frustrating.

You are of course free to post what you want. I'm sure there will be people who will help you.

Maimonides
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: ennujozlagam

Thanks for your suggestion. I have seen many tutorials and have attended a course which was quite basic. BUt the problem here was that the 'Crop Region' was somehow invisible. very strange issue else this is very basic but the command was missing. SOmehowI see that some of teh commands in my REvit go missing . However after restrating my computer it shpwed up. I was looking for a solution as to how I could bring these commnds which go missing back again.
Message 14 of 18
Keith_Wilkinson

So when you post your question make it clear what you understand about the problem and what you've tried to fix it.

In this instance you've solved it yourself by restarting your computer - something fairly basic you could have tried before asking her which would save everybody time (and some frustration).

If you solve a problem yourself you are much more likely to remember what you did if it happens again.

Maimonides
Message 15 of 18
Keith_Wilkinson

For the record, if Revit starts behaving oddly, check you are on the latest version and restart Revit. If that doesn't sort it then restart your computer. unless you can recreate the behaviour by going through set motions it's unlikely there will be a command tinting things back.

Maimonides
Message 16 of 18
chrisplyler

puya,

You did not start out saying the standard View Parameters for Crop Region and Crop Region Visibile were missing from the Properties palette. That would have indicated an unusal problem.

Instead, you said that the rectangle with the arrows for resizing was missing. It is not crazy for people to assume from this that you don't know what to call it and you aren't aware of the View Parameters that control it. Sure, it turns out to have been an incorrect assumption, but it wasn't a crazy assumption based on what you said.

And it isn't a giant leap from there to be shocked that you wouldn't know that simple stuff, especially since we know you aren't a day-1 newbie anymore and should have such basic knowledge already. I mean last week you asked how to shorten a View Title line on a sheet. Do you even click on anything to experiment before you ask?

It is not always easy to make our exact thoughts known only through an internet post. On a technical forum such as this one, proper terminology can make or break the intent of the communication. I do realize that language barriers can contribute and do not intend to cast blame on you for it, but you do need to attempt to say what you mean instead of saying one thing and then claiming you said something else.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Keith_Wilkinson

for the last couple of months I have been very tired for No good reason and quite busy so I have to admitt that I SOMETIMES post questions hastly, instead of researching them or give the questions enough thought. Many thanks for your replies. 

Message 18 of 18
chrisplyler

You are welcome.

I think most of us here really are glad to help out whenever we can. And we will certainly keep helping you. And we hope that you will become a helper to others. Just please be understanding that sometimes the helper can get just as frustrated as the one seeking help. We're all human.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report