Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing Model Text on Curved Walls

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
10628 Views, 6 Replies

Placing Model Text on Curved Walls

1. Begin by creating a new family with the template called generic model wall based.

2. Double click Placement Side in elevations in project browser.

3. Click Model Text and type any letter you want and then click OK.

4. Place the letter on the wall and then vertically align it to the vertical reference plane.

5. Click the letter, go to properties window, and click the little gray rectangle all the way to the right in the Text field.

6. Click Add Parameter, give it the name "Letter", click Instance on the right and then click OK twice.

If you want to be able to change the height of the text in your project then continue with the following steps. If not, save the family into your desired folder or choose Load into Project. If you save it into a folder then you can load into your project as a component just like you would with furntiure.

7. Click the letter, click Edit Type in your properties window, click the little gray rectangle all the way to the right in the Text Size field.

8. Click Add Parameter, give it the name "Text Height", click Instance on the right and click OK three times. 

If you want to be able to change the depth of the text in your project then continue with the following steps. If not, save the family into your desired folder or choose Load Into Project. If you save it to a folder then you can load it into your project as a component. 

9. Click the letter, go to properties window, and click the little gray rectangle all the way to the right in the Depth field. 

10. Click Add Parameter, give it the name "Text Detph", click instance on the right and click OK twice.

11. Save the family into your desired folder or choose Load into Project.

12. If you haven't created an arced wall in a plan view then do so now.

13. Click Place a Component and place it where you want on the wall.

14. If you want additional letters you simply right click the letter and create similar.

15. Place the letter and then with your new parameter fields in the properties window you can change the letters how you want.

Note: Sometimes the backside of the letters embed into the wall when looking in floor plan view. If you don't like this then you could follow the same steps above, but for the family template called generic model face based. I personally feel the wall based template fits the text on the curved wall better than the face based. Face based seems to place the text tangent to the wall, leaving voids behind the text. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DanFaba
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello, Jgarg82,

Thank you for your input. It is a very detailed process in how to add text to a wall in Revit.

I wanted to ask you about this issue, and inquire as to what the problem may be, which you require to post to our forums. I will be happy to address your concerns about the subject

Dan Faba
Autodesk Revit Technical Support
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Dan,
I'm happy that you reached out. I had a feeling I posted this incorrectly. I was actually just trying to provide a detailed procedure to place model text on a curved wall for anyone looking how to do it. One of my students asked how to do this and I wasn't really sure so I did some homework. I never really found a detailed method so I figured I could post this to help. Please let me know if there is a correct way or area I can post tips. I never did this as you can tell. Thank you.
Joe
Message 4 of 7
DanFaba

Joe,

This method of posting is one of several available to our customers. We appreciate the fact that you take your time to post a detailed process for the assistance of other users.

It is a useful way to provide an insight of a process, while "stepping inside someone else's shoes", since it shows others how you proceed with your design.

Our forums are available for all users to access, and with your subject for the post, you are helping many users find a way to go through this construction, design, and modeling. 

One a side note, I wanted to ask if you would have concerns about this process, or if you consider yourself to have no questions about this?

Dan Faba
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks, Dan. I did find it a little lengthy to complete this task which is why I wanted to post it. Do you think this is a good method or is there an easier way?
Message 6 of 7
DanFaba

Joe,

The Method reported in our articles does mention how to proceed with this family creation, however, it is reporting to be needing one family per letter in the wall, as described in the article 

Revit How To: Creating model text on a curved wall.

This is from our Autodesk Knowledge Base, and while very accurate, it is not as complete as the one you posted here.

Dan Faba
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I think I saw these directions before. With the parameters I listed and simply choosing create similar each letter can be changed to a different letter, width, and depth. If I come across any other tasks I'll be sure to post! Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators