Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pick lines from Model Text or CAD Text to Create an Extrusion + Importing Font

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
3486 Views, 4 Replies

Pick lines from Model Text or CAD Text to Create an Extrusion + Importing Font

Hi,

I am trying to create signage families that will have neon inside of a canister (similar to the attached photo of the public market center in Seattle).  I was using model text but that only helps with the interior, neon portion of the sign.  Is there a way to pick lines to create extrusions (for the canister of the sign) that will scale parametrically with model text?  I have not been able to pick lines from CAD text or model text, is there a way to do this?

Also, if anyone has other workarounds for importing font into Revit that would be helpful too.  I have converted our font into TIFF and it is in my Windows font library, but will not show up in Revit.

Thanks!Signage Example.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Pike's! Love that market and the golden pig out front! 

Why don't you use a sweep extrusions for the neon lamps? Do the letters (neon lamps) as face-based families.  You could place them on Model Text. 

...ah, sorry. I see what your asking. Actually, interesting concept. I'll get back to you. 

Message 3 of 5
cbcarch
in reply to: Anonymous

If you can find that exact font and it is true type or open type, install it in Windows, then restart Revit and it should work.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/I...

If not, I have actually traced over an image file for something like this and created a generic model. A bit tedious, but it worked.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 4 of 5
barthbradley
in reply to: cbcarch

I love this concept! You can actually snap Ref Line to Model Text and it will change with the size of the Model Text! Who'd have thunk. 

@Anonymous: it's not the solution you're looking for, but as for as for "tracing " AutoCAD text in Revit, you do know you can explode text to linework in AutoCAD?  I wouldn't personally.  Just saying. 

Since you can align and lock Ref. Lines to borders and center lines of Model Text letters, don't you have a parametric reference to build/control your neon path on.  28 letters of the alphabet = 28 Families. No? 

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: cbcarch

Thank you everyone!  I ended up importing the text from CAD, tracing it as extrusions and using a sweep to create the neon.  It was a little tedious but I was unable to get the correct font into Revit.  One issue I had when offsetting to create the cans was that the extrusion lines kept snapping together, even when I turned the snaps off, if the offset was less than 1/4". I tried doing it on a larger scale and then scaling down but still had the same problem.  In the end my can letters are a litter thicker than I like but I think it will work.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report