Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perimeter of exterior building and linear measurements

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
adminOPC
4266 Views, 9 Replies

Perimeter of exterior building and linear measurements

Hi all, is there a way to measure and schedule the external perimeter (overall length) of a building. And measure and display lengths of kitchen cupboards etc. as per the screenshot?

I'm using RevitLt

adminLEHS4_0-1623116936639.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
RDAOU
in reply to: adminOPC

@adminOPC 

There isn't a one off parameter which applies to all. There are different ways to extract the perimeter/Length of elements. Example: 

1. In loadable families (such as the ones you have mentioned) do not have an overall length. Depending on the category you use they might not even have a length parameter that can be scheduled or tagged. You need to set that up in the families using shared parameter. 
  2. Perimeter specific spaces such as wet areas, pantries...etc can be extracted from either Rooms or Spaces...In a room/space/area element, there is a perimeter length which you can tag and schedule
  3. For the building Ext Perimeter: You could also use the the area element which you used in GBA calculation 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 10
adminOPC
in reply to: RDAOU

Thanks. I'll just type it up manually I think !

Message 4 of 10
ToanDN

You can draw several property lines around the footprint of the building, at the kitchen, at the pantry, at the wet area, etc.. and schedule them to show description and length. Distinct them from the actual property line by Mark or Name or Comments and hide them in the views you don't want to show.
Message 5 of 10
adminOPC
in reply to: ToanDN

Ok, that could be an option. However with the kitchen cupboards and pantry I only need the length. If I draw a property line, I'll get the perimeter of the cupboard which wouldn't be accurate. The screenshot I showed was drawn in archicad so I'm not sure if they have a different system.

Message 6 of 10
ToanDN

@adminOPC wrote:

Ok, that could be an option. However with the kitchen cupboards and pantry I only need the length. If I draw a property line, I'll get the perimeter of the cupboard which wouldn't be accurate. The screenshot I showed was drawn in archicad so I'm not sure if they have a different system.

A property line needs not to be a closed loop.  It can be a single segment, a, open polyline, or multiple unconnected segments.

Message 7 of 10
adminOPC

I didn't know that! Thank you

I tried it and this is the warning I got.

adminLEHS4_0-1623286422017.png

So disregard this? 

Message 8 of 10
ToanDN

Ignore it of course since you need the lengths, not areas.  See example project 2022.

ToanDN_0-1623287145782.png

Message 9 of 10
adminOPC

thats great, thanks!

Message 10 of 10
sgoodmansen

Create individual floors to get the perimeter value

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report