Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Arc family limitations.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
685 Views, 6 Replies

Parametric Arc family limitations.

I made this parametric arc family but it has some limitations.

I can't reduce the "Rise" parameter below 55 for a "Width" of 18950 as the "Contraints cannot be satisfied"

It seems as though when the arc radius gets very big revit cannot handle it.

What can I do to get smaller "Rise" values? 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Circular Segments.png

Message 3 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

To get that very small rise to work correctly, the arc needs more constraints, not just the length of the beam and the rise, as you did. Make this skeleton first, then enter the value of L for the length of the beam and the value of "s" for the sagitta (rise).

arc by sagitta.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Thank you! Could you please try and explain why those formulas work and how they were developed because Im trying to understand them so I can rewrite them for a slightly different use.

Message 5 of 7
barthbradley
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Ah yeah, awesome resource! Thank you.

This website also helped me understand where the original formula came from which helps me undertstand the maths of circular segments.
https://planetcalc.com/1421/

Message 7 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

Search for the word "Sagitta", online, and you will find several resources explaining how to find the radius of an arc given a certain rise (sagitta), or how to find the sagitta given a certain radius, or a certain chord, etc. Apart from that, the link posted in the previous message is a good resource for trigonometry formulas, which are very useful to solve this kind of problems.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators