Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested Family in Window does not cut properly in the Project Environment Floor Plan

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
AlexLibengood
522 Views, 7 Replies

Nested Family in Window does not cut properly in the Project Environment Floor Plan

Attached is a simplified example project file showing what I am talking about.

The window family has a nested frame family with multple instances.  The nested frame family is of the Generic Model category so that the instances can be joined together within the window family (the window category does not allow this).

The problem I am having is that when loaded into the project environment, the nested family does not cut properly in the floor plan view: 

AlexLibengood_0-1664382887761.png

It looks like in the Project Environment, the nested family isn't being cut by the view range and instead is showing the plan view from above the frame so that the side jambs can't be seen.

Per this documentation from Autodesk: I have ensured that the cut planes are all set to 4' in the project, window, and the nested family so the nested family should be cut properly in the project environment.

Here's the elevations in each environment:

AlexLibengood_1-1664383395303.png

How do I get nested families to cut correctly in the project environment?   They look great in the host family environment!  I don't want to turn the nested family into a shared family because it will start to pollute the project environment with families that shouldn't be used for anything else and slow my project down (the actual family I am working on is a lot more complex than this example file).

Attached is a simplified example project file showing what I am talking about.

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: AlexLibengood

Set the nested family to Shared.

Message 3 of 8
AlexLibengood
in reply to: ToanDN

There has to be another way right?  I don't want to turn the nested family into a shared family because it will start to pollute the project environment with families that shouldn't be used for anything else and slow my project down (the actual family I am working on is a lot more complex than this example file).

It seems like there must be something else I am missing here given that this article exists: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Revit-Wi...

And surely they don't expect us to make all nested families shared just so that they can be cut correctly in a view??

Message 4 of 8
ToanDN

@AlexLibengood wrote:

There has to be another way right?

Yes there is a few other ways:

- the OOTB way: turn off the 3d elements for plan/RCP and use 2D linework/detail components instead

- model the jambs, header, and sill as separate elements and turn off header for Plan/RCP; or use subcategory if you need to the header to be OFF in plan but ON in RPC

- don't use nested family, model 3 elements directly in the window family and set it to Show when Cut in Pan/RCP.

Message 5 of 8

Why don't you just model the frame in the Window Family and not do any nesting? There nothing spectacular in the nested family that can't be easily reproduced in the Parent Family.  I don't see the point of nesting here - especially if the nested family isn't Shared.  

Message 6 of 8
AlexLibengood
in reply to: ToanDN

I'm surprised Revit can't cut nested families in the project environment as expected.  I would expect the project environment to be able to duplicate the behavior shown in the host family environment where everything looks great.

The first option you suggests of using 2d elements could work, but it makes the family more complex and it rubs my purist OCD the wrong way... haha.  I generally avoid using 2d elements in 3d environments whenever possible.

I'm already half-way to accomplishing the second option you suggested of turning off the headers in plan/rcp.  This makes the shape fo the jambs appear as they should, but they aren't cut, therefore they don't follow the VG settings set for cut lines and cut patterns respective to the material applied to them - instead they appear with surface patterns.  Do you know of what to force them to show as being cut?

Your third option of modeling all of it in the family is where I started on this project, but the complexity of my windows has made this unreasonable due to the amount of parameters, reference lines, and voids I'm using at this point.  Which is why I moved to nested families which made the hsot family environment a whole lot easier to manage and let me just drop more instances of the nested families where geometry is being repeated.

Thanks for working through this stumbling block with me!

Message 7 of 8

I built the sample file to just show the behavior I am having an issue with.  My actual window family is far more complex.  I started with modeling everything in the host family, but the complexity of my windows has made this unreasonable due to the amount of parameters, reference lines, and voids I'm using at this point.  Which is why I moved to nested families which made the host family environment a whole lot easier to manage and let me just drop more instances of the nested families where geometry is being repeated.

Message 8 of 8
ToanDN

@AlexLibengood wrote:

Thanks for working through this stumbling block with me!

Understood the frustration. 

If I were you I would use shared nested families, setup a naming convention (prefix and whatnots) so they can be easily distinguished in the project, provide unique Assembly Code/Name so they can be filter out of project schedules if required.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report